Barber Direct Drive Compact rules!!

eyobeez

• Members

I have used the same overdrive on my board for years: an OCD v3, kicked with an Analogman TS9/808 for saturated leads, which gets the job done in my guitar/bass/drums group. But lately I've been playing in a big group with auxiliary percussion, horns, and keys; in this medium, the OCD's fat lows and raw, gritty top end are translated into woofiness and anemic, fizzy highs as soon as I turned the drive knob up past ten o'clock.

So, I brought my trusty OCD to compare it with some pedals at a local music store in W. Michigan. Played some things that wouldn't work for me, and some things that would (Robert Keeley is the MAN), and after a shootout among the OCD, a Gain Changer, a Katana Blues Drive, and the Direct Drive compact, I walked out with the Direct Drive. It's like the perfect crunch channel for my modded Hot Rod Deluxe, and its range of gain will handle anything I would ever need. Just enough mids and compression for a little squawk, a harmonics switch, decently touch sensitive... I found myself a winner... until I pick up that Katana Blues Drive someday...

So there's another OCD and another Analogman TS on the market.

Now I just have to find a dirty boost for the Direct Drive... Any idears? Paired up with my TS, it was too middy for me.

Archived