Upgrading a PA system and playing out first time for money

• Members

I am not doing sound. We have a musician friend who did sound for us last time he is doing it again . Our friend used the same 24 channel same Allen and Heath Board.So he has the know how to operate the board. He will be on stage with the board and not out in the audience running the sound.

• Members

My advice is a powered monitor of which there are plenty that have been mentioned here. I like the Yamaha DXR10 or DXR12. The other thing I would suggest is keep it simple and with one vocal monitor and two FOH speakers at first. If your going to mix from stage your not going to need that big mixer I would sell it and get something smaller like one of the zed boards. I am also becoming very happy with my Behringer XR16 or for a little more the XR18 which has more capability. The more mics and monitors you have the more likely you will have feedback problems so keeping it simple will save you. Another difficult thing is mixing from stage and unless your sound person is comfortable with your setup can be very difficult. Hopefully you can do a sound check but that's not always the case in a bar. Even though I'm pretty experience with our equipment now it takes me a few songs to dial it in for each room we play in without a true sound check. That's with me mixing with an Ipad out front not trying to do anything else. Short answer is if I was buying all new equipment is I would go powered speaker and monitors Yamaha, RCF, are good choices.

• Members

like using ​Caterpillar D5 as a lawnmower on a 1/4 acre lot. It will work (if you have the right attachments), but it's pretty clumsy - and the lawn doesn't look very pretty with all those tracks.

:D

So Ed: This too coincidental... have you been checking up on me? I happen to be currently in the midst of using a D5 on what used to be my lawn. It's actually about a 3/4 acre lot. I'm using a D5N dozer in conjunction with a backhoe, motor grader, and D69U pulling a disc. I gave up on mowing it... as it was... too lumpy. When I first tied into my lawn with the dozer a week or so ago, the neighbors were driving by really slow.

• Members

My random thoughts / answers:

Should I have this mixer on stage? Not if you can help it. I have mixed bands from the side of a stage (and on stage while performing), not ideal but "doable:.

i don't have a snake so I can't put the mixer out to the middle of room unless I get a snake? You can put the mixer out front if you have a bunch of 50'+ mic cables. This can be done but you will have to keep the cables neat. You may be best to have cables long enough to run along a wall so as to minimize the tripping hazard.

The Allen and Heath is a unpowered mixer. Do I need to buy an amplifier for the mixer? YES

Our band has no monitors for this show. Should I buy powered monitor or passive monitors.t We are looking to purchase a couple monitors one for the drummer one for the vocalist. I highly suggest getting two monitors (powered) HOWEVER I had a 5 piece band in the 80's/90's and we used a powered mixer for the PA (mic'd two vocalists and a sax player) with no monitors. We were successful for years in the club/wedding circuit. Gigging without monitors can be done if everyone in the band is mindful of their stage volume. (Our vocalist would walk out front [she had a 50' mic cord] at times during songs to check the mix. Our vocalist was "eye candy" so she fit right in with the chickies dancing on the floor.

We have RCF 312 for FOH speakers. Any monitor recommendations. What others have proposed

Any advice on the snake: check craigslist, there are many on the used market a 100' 16/4 is a good starting point

outboard effects: I like the DBX 2231 EQ

like reverb: When I used outboard effects I used an Alesis Midiverb 4 (people on the forums do not like these units but it worked for my application).

that we can attach to the mixer?

• Members

I'm not familiar with the RCF MK15 but I assume it's ok. I would have gone with another 1-2 312as myself. Nothing wrong with passive monitors (which would require an amp) but having everything the same is a good argument.

The mixer is overkill but is a good piece of kit.

Nothing wrong with mixing side of stage - before the advent of digital mixers + iPad control this was how the wedding circuit had to do it.

Keep it simple and keep the volume sensible. If you have a sound guy you should be fine.

Archived