One of my favorite albums just turned 50...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The Beatles...they were alrightsmiley-wink...I caught on with them with Rubber Soul. I have had a soft spot for that album since, along with the white album, Revolver, Sgt Pep and so on. Heck I still have the receipt for it man. There are pretty much good songs on every one of their albums...a clunker cut here or there but not many. See it's cause they had talent for it and great marketing. Like a math expert rocks at calculations

Yeah the Beatles were awesome. Some of their guitar riffs were pure legendary :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Apparantly 'Ob La Di Ob La Da' was a bone of contention as well. I think they, along with 'Hello Goodbye' are 'songs abot nothing' but they are great records and I'm glad McCartney did what he had to do to get there (although I didn't have to work with the guy).

I heard that the energetic piano intro to Ob La Di was Lennon reacting to the idea of needing to do yet another take - the song does have a great groove with the bass line implying a shift of the one to beat three of the measure.

'Ob la Di' is essentially a polka. Years ago, when a band I was in got roped into playing at a wedding reception because we needed a gig (and they paid better than bars), we would play 'Ob La Di' when the inevitable polka request came in. It always worked. The older folks twirled their way around the dance floor, smiling away, the younger folks sang along and were thankful it wasn't another rendition of 'Beer Barrel Polka."

• Members

Also, great thread. The advent of the Beatles moved my high school band from playing the Ventures and other instrumentals into a much expanded repertoire. Rubber Soul has always been the seminal Beatle's album for me, mostly because of the new depth to the lyrics lyrics and the musical complexity, but Revolver is a close second. It is only later in life that I have come to appreciate the technical nuances of the production of the post-Rubber Soul albums.

George said something in Anthology about how he considered Rubber Soul and Revolver as two peas in a pod - very similar records, and similar recording experiences from his perspective, and I do see a lot of similarities between the two... but there are quite a few differences as well, starting with (after all, this IS a recording forum ;) ) the different recording engineers - Norman Smith on Rubber Soul, and Geoff Emerick on Revolver. Revolver rocks a bit harder, and Rubber Soul is a bit more acoustic... but both are just such great records, and they really stretched the boundaries of popular music, not to mention totally changed studio recording techniques and approaches forever. Especially Revolver. In some ways, I consider it even more groundbreaking than Sgt. Pepper.

Archived