whats the brightest p90...

Out of the Past

• Members

I like a2/a3 because I set my pickups really high and with a5 you cant do this without getting wolf-notes/stratitis.

and a5 are too punchy and mid heavy.

bill lawrence said a lot of strat pickups people thought were weak A5 were actually full strength A2

I think thats why Duncan uses a2 in the antiquity for an "aged" sound.

apparently BG usd to sell a 50s p90 with a2 but now he just sells a 60s p90 with a5?

its not clear on his website he just says "alnico"

• Members

The "brightest" P90 pickup is the B90 pickup that Gibson has made a few times over the past 20 years.

The B90 uses 6 individual non-adjustable rod magnets mounted inside the coil bobbin, which point towards the strings, instead of a pair of bar magnets on the bottom of the pickup that touch adjustrable steel screws.

The B90 is a cousin of the Jazzmaster pickup, with the main difference being the large deep P90-sized bobbin used in the B90 as opposed to the shallow flatter bobbin of the Jazzmaster pickup. A P90/B90 bobbin can wound with more magnet wire than a Jazzmaster bobbin.

• Members
I haven't heard a guitar with those yet, possibly need to check some out.

I like brighter P90s in the neck

There was a cheap-o limited edition Gibson studio model available, briefly, from around 2013, that offered cheap drab satin finishes and a wraparound bridge. Either one or both pickups on these Gibsons were B90s.

The B90 (which I should have originally noted is also called the "Blues 90") first surfaced in the Gibson Blueshawk. A bit later, there was the "Little Lucille" model, which was essentially a Blueshawk with a Varitone and a black finish. Both of these had a hum-cancelling dummy coil mounted inside the back of the guitar body.

Look closely at those pickup poles -- they ain't screws!

PS: there are a few aftermarket versions of the B90 / Blues 90 pickup. Gibson has a trademark on "Blues 90" and the aftermarketeers often call their clone the "B90."

gibson-blueshawk-640984.jpg

Archived