Speaker for Laney VC30 112: Fane F70?

boostpedal30

• Members
On some amps, the baffle board is glued in and can't be removed. You have to go in from the back, which might mean you'll need to pull the amp "brain" or head out first - in fact, that's often the best approach since it gives you more working room. On my Vox AC15 it's a real pain in the posterior to swap out a speaker too. You have to pretty much take the whole amp apart into all its major components.

You remove the nuts off of the bolts to get the speaker out - the bolts stay in place.

Now, as far as your heavy amp goes, you have a few choices. Sell it and get something lighter, or get casters for it. Or get a musician's cart that you can use to roll it from your car to the gig and back again. Or talk someone into / pay someone to carry it for you. :)

Hi there Mr O'Keefe thanks for the suggestions :). Just as you describe with your Vox, I had to take it all apart in the end. The whole affair, the possibility of permanently damaging the amp while getting it back together got me upset, I don't hate the amp at all. But I wouldn't recommend anyone to get an amp this heavy.

I will report on the the results when they are clearer, the new speaker is a Fane F70.

• Members

Glad to hear you got the speaker swap carried out but sorry it was such a pain. I've been lucky in that regard. As for a "heavy amp," the specs say your VC30 weighs 18.5kg/40.8 lbs. There are plenty of amps that weigh a good bit more. Before I bought my Fender I found a good deal on a used Peavey hybrid amp (SS pre, tube power amp) but it weighed a whopping 29kg/64 lbs!

• Members

i

Glad to hear you got the speaker swap carried out but sorthanksry it was such a pain. I've been lucky in that regard. As for a "heavy amp' date='" the specs say your VC30 weighs 18.5kg/40.8 lbs. There are plenty of amps that weigh a good bit more. Before I bought my Fender I found a good deal on a used Peavey hybrid amp (SS pre, tube power amp) but it weighed a whopping 29kg/64 lbs![/quote']

Hi, thanks, it was painful because I could have (and actually may have to an extent) damaged the amp.

I thought I read it was close to 30 kilos but anyhow, I can't imagine any big guy - leaving aside people at certain sports - strong enough to carry around that Peavey of yours without posing danger to himself and the amp. I'll get back to report, thanks again and see you around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello there... I thought it is time to give a short report on the results I got... It been a fortnight and I assume speaker is broken in to some extent, although it was played at low volumes mostly.

So here it goes... I believe this is a pretty neutral speaker with regard to how it colors the amp's sound; there is no obvious change in the amps voicing from the stock speaker which I can discern. What is claimed in the couple of reviews one finds on the web appears to be true: it gives very detailed response to one's playing, good note definition and dynamics.These are true , but more so for the cleans. What is quite disappointing for me is the buzzy overdrive/distortion sound. Strange to say, I almost knew this would be, thats what I actually heard on the Guitarplayer review

. I take this as sign of easy speaker break up. The thing is, people have different expectations, and one just can't go along with other's preferences. Although Fane 70 is obviously better quality than the stock speaker, it didn't quite fit the bill. I am suspicious that the overly dirty overdrive sound (with pedals, and the amps own overdrive as well) could be because I possibly damaged one of the tubes during installation. However I observe no problems with the clean sound.

Any corrections in case you think I am misguided about something, or any additions, clarifications, you are very welcome to make. This is obviously not a review, just trying to solve my problems and clarify certain points for myself, and for others with similar concerns by some chance.

• Members

Hi there..I need some info some of you may help with.. my amp is appears to get increasingly raspy with overdrive (on board or pedal), however it sounds just fine to me clean.... distortion is like cracking... I had a bad affair with one of the tubes when putting the amp back together, I am suspecting it may have gone bad... but all tubes seem to glow fine and cleans are good... does this picture make any sense to you - like tube gone bad so replace it, or it is just you starting to hear things etc..

• Members

The schematic on page 13 of the manual (http://www.laney.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/6e5d65fafa037bb79a8cc5080ce11fa6.pdf) shows different tubes active in the preamp circuit depending on whether the Clean or Drive channels are selected (V1b vs. V2a and V2b). The tube you had the mishap with might have been one of the Drive channel preamp tubes.

• Members
The schematic on page 13 of the manual (http://www.laney.co.uk/wp-content/up...080ce11fa6.pdf) shows different tubes active in the preamp circuit depending on whether the Clean or Drive channels are selected (V1b vs. V2a and V2b). The tube you had the mishap with might have been one of the Drive channel preamp tubes.

Thanks a lot. I didn't mess with the preamp tubes though. It was one of the four uncovered glowing tubes at the back I had a problem with. And the problem (assuming there is a problem, but I am pretty confident) is there with a pedal on the clean channel as well. I don't know if damaged poweramp tube makes that kind of effect. I don't like to think the new speaker sounds so ugly with distortion.

• Members

Well, rats. I looked for something that would affect the Drive channel but not the Clean channel and it was just those two preamp tubes. The power tubes are common to both channels so I doubt that's where the issue is. My advice is to try a different speaker if you have a cab handy or can borrow one. It looks like the internal speaker can be disconnected. If the problem goes away, you'll have a pretty good idea that it's the speaker. If not, maybe have the power amp tunes checked. Good luck and keep us posted.

Archived