Is this still true, ya think?

pogo97

• Members

on a 3 hour gig, I might take a 10 to 15 minute break about half way through. I quit using backing tracks years ago. I just started importing some of them into logic and re-voice them, but don't think I'll ever use them out again. the people seem to like the intimacy of playing with out accompaniment better, and I'm more free to go with the flow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I play solo instrumental background music, can definitely relate to that "burned-out" sensation. It's easy to feel and actually be isolated but sometimes I make it worse by sitting in one spot for 2 hours or so, dutifully grinding out piano notes. So I'm taking more frequent breaks as of late. I live for any kind of requests but if that is not happening I'll sometimes play off-the-wall things so someone in the crowd might pay attention and acknowledge my existence. Sounds like a musical cry for help, doesn't it lol.. it's not always like that however, sometimes I find myself enjoying the gig.

I have as of late been getting calls to do combo-type gigs, corporate things during the day (which is pretty cool) and private parties. I'm the "new music" guy, which means tunes that are only 30-40 years old instead of 60-70 (ha). It's a challenge for both me and the others, no rehearsals so everything is on the spot, with varying results, but it's helping to damp the burnout factor for sure. When standards are called, I'm the odd man out but know enough things like Blue Bossa, Wave, C Jam Blues etc. to get by. I have also been doing more freebies, at an adult daycare and a once-a-month jam at the Veterans hospital. Those are fun. Looking forward to next month when I contribute to Make-a-Wish charity.

Archived