Small PA recommendations?

• Members

Looks like they've re-listed it. Here ya go.

Looks like that deal is dead, but relisted at the $179.99 price.

My buddies wanted to get some karaoke/DJ gigs until the new band started gigging, and now that I have some powered speakers, I was gonna get a mixer like that instead of old Yamaha powered mixer and PR15s I would normally use for stuff like that.

• Members

Meh, I'll sell him my Yamaha for 1/2 that. Who needs those pesky EFX
:)

Yeah,,,,but check THIS out;

The Notepad 124FX also has an integral digital effects processor which has a feed from every input and over 100 effects, including a pink noise and test setting. The FX control can also be used to set delay tap tempo, a feature not found in many mixers in this class.

Other highly-desirable functions include a high-pass filter on the mono inputs, a 60mm fader for the mix output selectable sensitivity of +4dBu or 1-dBv on each stereo input (Notepad 124 models only) and multi-segment led metering on the mix output along with a headphone monitoring output.

Analog mixer

4 mic inputs with GB30 mic preamps:

4 stereo line channels for keyboards, MP3 player, etc.

Switchable +4dBu/-10dBV on stereo inputs

Classic sounding Soundcraft GB30 3-band British EQ

100Hz high-pass filter on each mic input

Over 100 powerful built-in digital effects

+48V phantom power (global)

1 Aux/FX Sends

1 Return

L/R main Bus Outs

• Members

Yes, I know, but I just saw it going for $99... I just can't do it now. :idk:

I NEVER pay more than 15% off regular advertized price. :)

M.F. has a some used ones for $152.99, and maybe MrRebates 7% cash back would apply, but not sure.

• Members

That's strange,,,, I see it here. When I open that link, it opens for a split-second, then kicks me over to another page. At the top of that page, it says this listing has ended,,, but that the dealer has re-listed it. As I scroll down the page, it appears again, at $99.99. I don't see a "Buy it Now" button however. There's just an "add to list" button. Hmmm!!!

I'll keep my eyes peeled Marko. If I see another at that price, I'll definitely let you know.

• Members
That's strange,,,, I see it here. When I open that link, it opens for a split-second, then kicks me over to another page. At the top of that page, it says this listing has ended,,, but that the dealer has re-listed it. As I scroll down the page, it appears again, at $99.99. I don't see a "Buy it Now" button however. There's just an "add to list" button. Hmmm!!!

I'll keep my eyes peeled Marko. If I see another at that price, I'll definitely let you know.

Much thanks, Bobby... I'll keep my eye out for it, too, as it would be perfect for the karaoke thing. :)

• Members

I do a lot of acoustic-guitar solo/duo/trio type things, (outdoor parties,B-B-Q's, type of thing) A single "quality" active speaker, and a small mixer, is all you really need, I just picked up a brand-new compact mixer at Musicians' Friends' eBay store. It's a Soundcraft Notepad 124FX, and I got it for $99. I would HIGHLY recommend this mixer for your application., You have four XLR mic inputs, hi-pass filters on every channel, built-in FX. At that price, it's a steal. These were selling for $249. up 'til recently.

Add an RCF 312A active-loudspeaker, for $450 (eBay), and you'll have a VERY respectable portable set-up,

A big +1 on this setup. Good (very good) stuff all the way around. I think this will more than cover a coffee house gig and you will be astounded at the quality of the sound.

• Members

Wow. Thanks for all the good thoughts. A little mixer w/ powered speaker seems like a great idea to me: gives me the flexibility to have use the mixer elsewhere/how, to add another speaker down the road, or upgrade the speaker(s) to something louder if necessary, or the mixer for that matter.

I'm all for used craigslist/ebay gear. I keep waiting for the perfect deal to arrive on craiglist. But for whatever reason, it seems like nobody wants to give their crap away yet :D

• Members

Powered speakers are easy to upgrade and add to. Just buy another speaker. Add as many as you need.

Bingo.

Don't skimp on the speakers. The best sounding speaker for the money out there right now is undisputedly the RCF 312a (any disputers?). Especially for a coffee house gig. The tone of these speakers for $400.00 is fantastic.

With your remaining $150.00 (you stated $550.00 as your max), if you can get a used Soundcraft or ZED mixer (with FX) you will have the makings of a fine setup with great potential for growth.

• Members

Bingo.

Don't skimp on the speakers. The best sounding speaker for the money out there right now is undisputedly the RCF 312a (any disputers?). Especially for a coffee house gig. The tone of these speakers for $400.00 is fantastic.

With your remaining $150.00 (you stated $550.00 as your max), if you can get a used Soundcraft or ZED mixer (with FX) you will have the makings of a fine setup with great potential for growth.

best is quite subjective but i do agree with the fantastic comment. i will say that i get to work with a pair of these for acoustic performers on a regular basis and it is a great sounding cabinet right out of the box. (one for FOH, one for monitor which i don't care for that application) also paired with a soundcraft mixer (EPM8)

at any rate, the RCF is smooth, clear, articulate. wonderful tone and a great value on clearance pricing.

OP - don't forget to account for a 31 band EQ - no speaker is perfect and perfectly suited to every room/every ear without some tweaks that channel strip may or may not compensate for. i suggest dbx - cost effective, reliable, reasonably accurate/musical, and readily available on the used market.

• Members

best is quite subjective but i do agree with the fantastic comment. i will say that i get to work with a pair of these for acoustic performers on a regular basis and it is a great sounding cabinet right out of the box. (one for FOH, one for monitor which i don't care for that application) also paired with a soundcraft mixer (EPM8)

at any rate, the RCF is smooth, clear, articulate. wonderful tone and a great value on clearance pricing.

OP - don't forget to account for a 31 band EQ - no speaker is perfect and perfectly suited to every room/every ear without some tweaks that channel strip may or may not compensate for. i suggest dbx - cost effective, reliable, reasonably accurate/musical, and readily available on the used market.

Actually, the RCFs are pretty good sounding out of the box. I believe a decent board's channel strip will do fine to get the OP started. I do agree that a 31 band EQ should be in the long term plan but it is not critical at startup.

• Members

Actually, the RCFs are pretty good sounding out of the box. I believe a decent board's channel strip will do fine to get the OP started. I do agree that
a 31 band EQ should be in the long term plan but it is not critical at startup.

Agreed. The 31-band EQ could come in handy for monitoring, but there may be different approaches here. For example, if the OP is playing guitar, and he uses a D.I. with a notch-filter. Lots of other work-arounds too.

• Members

If the budget is tight then I'd agree, and they do sound good. However, I wouldn't agree that they're the best in all other respects for a folk band playing coffee shops and small bars.

I'm assuming no bass with the OP's description, or if there is a bass player they could use their own amp. For me, a 12" cabinet like the 312A is overkill for that size venue and those instruments. It's a folk/Bluegrass type band, not a rock band. You just need good reproduction of guitars and vocals.

I play gigs like that with our acoustic band using QSC K-10's, which are smaller and lighter in weight, and do the job just fine. They take up less floor space as a monitor than the 312A's, and this type of gig often involves a cramped playing area. In fact, I'm usually using EV ZXA1's for monitors instead of our extra K10's, because they're even smaller and easier to fit on tight stage areas.

RCF has that new D line with the 10" size powered speaker, but I don't know what the price will be. The K10's would be about $150 more (each) than RCF 312A's, so that's another consideration. Still, I think a smaller speaker is the right size for this type of gig.

On the 31-band EQ -- Personally, I think these modern powered speakers like the RCF and QSC's are flat enough in response that they don't require "room tuning" with an outboard EQ, and feedback is better handled with a feedback reducer like a Sabine FBX series. That's all I have in the compact version of my PA: just a Sabine FBX, no other EQ for the main speakers or monitors. Keeps it simple for these smaller, hit-and-run type of gigs.

• Members

The QSC K10 is an $800 speaker. I have heard it and thought it sounded great for this application; however, you can buy 2 RCF312's with the money from a single K10.

I would agree that for a coffee house gig with no bass and no drums, a pair of K10's would be a very good setup, just not the best value IMHO.

• Members

Dag. I just realized the 310a is 350W. That seems just about perfect. Now, I've just got to make it work with my budget.

One question about those--it looks like the only input on those is XLR. Does that mean it has to take a balanced signal (Lo-Z? I'll be honest, I'm slightly hazy on balanced/unbalanced vs high/low impedance)?

Do most mixers output a balanced signal? I suppose they probably have to, assuming they expect you to make the run from the mixer back up to the amps near the stage, huh? More stuff I guess I've never thought about!

• Members
Dag. I just realized the 310a is 350W.

Keep in mind those are real watts and the drivers they use are quite efficient too. They seem louder to me than K10's and their 1000 "marketing watts" :facepalm: . I've not had them up at full boogie for more than a few seconds (too freakin' loud) but I'd guess they could keep up with a pair of PRX618S-XLF or SRX718S no prob.

Archived