For you Presonus SL mixer owners

• Members
This question was never answered. The Spectragraph is a different tool than an RTA. If you are trying to identify problem frequencies and feedback, a RTA works great in a quieter environment but at full gig volume, all frequencies are hitting fairly high levels and it can be difficult to zero in on a feedback freq unless it is quite loud. The Spectragraph read out is better suited to display specific feedback frequencies in higher volume environments by showing a thin line at the problem freq. AFAIK, the full SMAART version has a Spectragraph that can be reversed so you can roll it back to identify the frequency that went off while you were at the bar purchasing a fresh beer.

Of course, if you don't allow feedback to occur, you don't need a Spectragraph to identify it and you probably weren't at the bar in the middle of the show in the first place

Yes, exactly. It's may be useful for somebody who had gotten in trouble during an event and needs some additional hand-holding.

My point was more along the lines of folks thinking (perhaps by specific marketing approaches) that it's something more than an integrating RTA with memory. Notghing wrong with what it is, the problem is that it's not what most people THINK it is ;)

If you do your homework right to begin with, it's not something that will be useful to those users IMO.

• Members

Thanks twostone for posting this. That looked really cool to me. What an awesome tool PreSonus is giving us for free. I've been so happy with my SL purchase and this new added feature makes me even happier. This will put the SL yet another notch above many mixers in it's price range.

I am curious about which mixers in its price range it is "above".

• Members

Correct, IMO, there's more implied by the name than actually delivered.

If your gonna base your judgement off marketing, I could say the same thing about Gibson Epiphone and Fender Squire using logo's for marketing lure and appeal.

Why be a killjoy? it's not gonna change my mind that my mixer keep getting better with all the freebies Presonus gives us. Even if it's just a Smarrt spectrograph that is a glorified RTA as you put it. It still at no cost to me or other SL mixer owners who stated is one less piece of gear in the rack and the mixer keeps getting better with time.

• Members

It's no more valuable than an RTA for most users, and for those who rely on it to track down feedback... who allows feedback to occur? I'm (and many others) so far beyond that... it's a marketing solution to a non-problem.

True. I can't remember the last time I really had any feedback. A few weeks ago, a banjo player kept getting feedback from the guitar amp he was plugged into, so I just rode the fader a bit. But during a gig, it's pretty rare. This reminds me of my old Peave EQ's with FLS. It showed the hot spots, but they rarely became problems.

Still, it's nice to see features being added to a mixer!

:thu:

• Members

All of 'em.

To me, the SL boards are in a league of their own when you consider price versus features versus quality. If you know of a mixer in it's price range that is better, I'd love to hear about it.

I guess I am not sure of the exact price range, but the Yamaha 01V96 has absolutely been in a league of its own for years, and still is.

• Members

Yep, I can't argue with you there. The 01V96 is one hell of a board. It does cost more than the SL, but still in the same price range. One thing I prefer about my SL over the 01V96 is that I don't have any fader banks for regular channels versus aux channels. On the SL, I have faders for regular channels and knobs for the auxs. Makes things very convenient when mixing in a live setting. Maybe not a big deal to some, but it is to me.

I wonder why they discontinued the 01V96. Do you know?

• Members

Yep, I can't argue with you there. The 01V96 is one hell of a board. It does cost more than the SL, but still in the same price range. One thing I prefer about my SL over the 01V96 is that I don't have any fader banks for regular channels versus aux channels. On the SL, I have faders for regular channels and knobs for the auxs. Makes things very convenient when mixing in a live setting. Maybe not a big deal to some, but it is to me.

I wonder why they discontinued the 01V96. Do you know?

I didn't know the VCM was discontinued, although it would seem to make sense. The introduced the 01v96i which added the 16io recording capabilities.

And definitely different strokes, the thing you dont like, is exactly the thing I do like! I mix on stage, (monitors always) and run 4 or 5 different monitor mixes, I love being able to press the monitor button for whatever mix I am adjusting and have the faders move to that mix. It seems easier for me to mix the monitors on the same faders as the rest of the mixes, as well as FOH.

Thank god for choices! It would be tough/impossible for anyone to make a product that is "one size fits all".

• Members

Thank god for choices! It would be tough/impossible for anyone to make a product that is "one size fits all".

Totally agree here!

Yeah, here is where I got the info about the 01V96 being discontinued.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/digital-mixers/01v96/?mode=model

Maybe they have something new in the works. :)

• Members

Totally agree here!

Yeah, here is where I got the info about the 01V96 being discontinued.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/digital-mixers/01v96/?mode=model

Maybe they have something new in the works.
:)

Oh yeah, that one has been discontinued for a while now. I bought its replacement a few years ago, the 01V96VCM, it added better FX. Now they have a model they just released that is newer than mine, the 01v96i. it added the 16io recording capability built in. I need a card to record through mine.

• Members

Why be a killjoy? it's not gonna change my mind that my mixer keep getting better with all the freebies Presonus gives us. Even if it's just a Smarrt spectrograph that is a glorified RTA as you put it. It still at no cost to me or other SL mixer owners who stated is one less piece of gear in the rack and the mixer keeps getting better with time.

I'm not being a killjoy, I am calling it EXACTLY like I see it. How is it one less piece in the rack when I don't carry one or have a use for it anyway?

Speaking of Smaart, I am seeing less and less use of this at gigs lately. Last night's was a Heritage 3000, Vertec PA, with all the bells & whistles (engineer was a total no-go on a digital console) and he didn't bother with Smaart. One of the best sounding systems and mixes I have heard in a long time.

Many of us just haven't found a need for this solution.

I would like to see some of the bugs worked out before features are added. There are some real issues that should be addressed IMO first, THEN add features.

• Members

Now they have a model they just released that is newer than mine, the 01v96i. it added the 16io recording capability built in. I need a card to record through mine.

Oh I see. That's really cool they added that capability inside the board instead of needing an external device for it. Does it record to an external computer or what? I hate to derail this thread. Maybe we should start a new one on the 01v96i? lol

• Members

Oh I see. That's really cool they added that capability inside the board instead of needing an external device for it. Does it record to an external computer or what? I hate to derail this thread. Maybe we should start a new one on the 01v96i? lol

usb to a computer.

• Members

I tend to agree.

I'm not being a killjoy, I am calling it EXACTLY like I see it. How is it one less piece in the rack when I don't carry one or have a use for it anyway?

Speaking of Smaart, I am seeing less and less use of this at gigs lately. Last night's was a Heritage 3000, Vertec PA, with all the bells & whistles (engineer was a total no-go on a digital console) and he didn't bother with Smaart. One of the best sounding systems and mixes I have heard in a long time.

Many of us just haven't found a need for this solution.

I would like to see some of the bugs worked out before features are added. There are some real issues that should be addressed IMO first, THEN add features.

See post #14 about one less peice of rack gear.

Also Age keep in mind most folks that own the SL mixer are just your weekend warrior types, and don't mix at the level you do nor have the skill level you do.

So even if the spectrograph is nothing more then a FB locator's it can be useful for those inexperienced operators struggling with trying to locate FB.

Also what bugs need to be address ?

• Members

Bugs?

Firewire issues
Metering and lack of hysteresis indication on dynamics
Threshold variability versus metering on dynamics
Metering versus internal limiting and compression that are not related to dynamics modules
those are just a few that I casually discovered. There were even more that I posted in the big thread on the SL.

• Members
Bugs?

Firewire issues

Metering and lack of hysteresis indication on dynamics

Threshold variability versus metering on dynamics

Metering versus internal limiting and compression that are not related to dynamics modules

those are just a few that I casually discovered. There were even more that I posted in the big thread on the SL.

Well the firewire issue is simple fix, don't use a computer. ;)
The other bugs flew over my head.

• Members

The other bugs flew over my head.

These apply to folks who know what they are doing and who might question why something in the PA doesn't appear to be working quite like the indicators show. Kind of like driving down the freeway with a speedometer that indicates 65MPH but the car is actually going 75MPH. May not bother folks until they get pulled over or something bad happens.

I discovered these things while testing the one I had here, when what I observed didn't match what the console was showing. Remember when I have said before that it's always a good idea to verify that the data you see is really good data, and that relying on bad data can lead to bad results? I didn't believe that data was good and upon verifying this, low and behold the data that I observed did not match the results that I measured.

This is the difference between a professional and one who relays on popular opinion.

Archived