Seriously: What if the World Doesn't Really Need Any New Music?

Anderton

• Members
it doesnt matter one bit** whether the world needs it, the need to create remains.

all the rationalization and mental masturbation will net the same conclusion in the end, from creators... and the rest will continue, forever speculating and attempting to make sense of something they do not fully grasp.

So you're saying it's because of the music creators that the "need to create" exists?

I don't buy that. How often have you heard "I'm so bored of the music I've been listening to." -- A lot. At least I do. It's like watching a new movie. After a while, knowing the end leaves you unfulfilled. So people watch new movies.

seriously, after reading this thread a few times, its seems more about making money than making music.

I don't know about you, but it's hard to really hone the craft when you're working 40 hours a week in something unrelated. Seems like a big piece of the puzzle is the time. All the talent in the world doesn't go as far as it could if you can't put the time in or are too wiped out after work/things to do on the weekend to make it "happen".

How do you get that time? You make an increasing amount of money at it. No working musician needs to apologize about that, IMO. The pieces will fall where do. In the mean time, damn right, make money at it. If that's not part of the equation, then a pro they are not, and pros usually put on a better show.

• Members

bluegreen, no thats not what i said at all, your comprehension as well as your perception is interesting, just sayin... and just for future reference, " whit" was precisely the word i chose, please refrain from changing the words in my poasts to suit your fancy... thanks in advance.

you are exactly right about one thing, you dont know about me.

• Members

Well, the SiriusXM free trial has ended, without a conversion to a pay customer. I hope they are successful, but it just wasn't right for me. I was disappointed that 3/4 of the classical music was "classical to relax to" - a regular snooze-fest and bouncing around other channels I found two things that irritated me (1) DJs talking over the beginning and ends of the songs and (2) on some channels, DJs talkng for 4 o4 5 minutes about inane things.

I could overlook the DJ thing, but as much as bounced around, I couldn't find enough interesting stuff to pay close to $20/month for. Especially since I only listen to it in the car. I did find a lot of things I've never heard before, much of it didn't interest me and to tell the truth, much of it bored me. When I did happen on something that sounded interesting, it was almost always followed with something that bored me.

OK, I know that although I like almost every kind of music, and enjoy playing a wide variety of musical styles, when it comes to recreational listening, I'm a bit hard to please.

If they had 3 classical music stations, opera, light classics (to relax by) and heavy classics (to excite you) I probably would have bitten the bullet. A quote attributed to Beethoven "Music should strike fire from the heart of man and bring tears to the eyes of woman." Unfortunately the majority of the selections on the one instrumental classical channel did neither. Mozart oboe concertos, Brahms harpsichord tunes, and so on. Great stuff in their day, but once you get to Prokofiev, Dvorak, Shostakovitch, Suk and others, there is no going back. If I want light classics, my local public radio station plays those for free.

I wrote a long, polite letter thanking them for the trial and explaining why I wasn't going to convert. I figured I owed them that. They wrote a nice letter back and said they would send my suggestions to the programming department heads.

Back on topic.

When I was a little kid, I suspected that just about all the music that could be written in those 12 notes had already been written, and that we would run out of music sooner or later. OK, pretty naive. But it still amazes me when I think about it that so many pieces of music can be written with that "limited canvas".

But I'm thinking that the instinct for music is wired into the human brain, as it is for the birds, whales and other animals.

I also think that while we are comfortable with certain things staying the same, we are also seekers of something new.

Thirdly I truly believe it is the child's duty to rebel. If young people didn't rebel and want something new, the world would be stagnant. Music and slang are two harmless things that they can use to rebel with. So I think there will always be new music.

And I also think it's the parent's generation's duty to dislike the music of the youth. That way they can fee they are being rebellious and be satisfied with the music being that vehicle.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived