$400 in Amazon money. Need new guitar. What to do...

bullhead

• Members

Okay so through a variety of xmas stuff, I've got $400 to spend on Aamazon, which is a weird-ass place to buy a guitar. I'm not used to buying new, I'm not used to buying guitars sight-unseen, and I don' the the best idea of what's on the new market (most of my stuff is bought used and upgraded).

I tend to like classic styles, I have an itch for a second LP-style, I'd like a Strat to pair with my Tele, and I'd like a semi-hollow, as it's a flavor I don't have. So far I've been thinking a Washburn HB series semi-hollow (i'd need to chip in some more cash, which i'd rather not), and LTD EC-256 (how LP-ish is it?), and some variety of Squier Strat (not sure what's worth buying vs what isn't, and basswood bodies?).

Are there great deals in budget guitars that I'm not aware of (I own an Agile already, thx)? I'm all ears.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Members

Is this a repost from a few month ago (exceot maybe the amazon part) I have a feeling of deja vu.

Amazon has a good protection policy so I wouldn't worry about buying there, although as always sight unseen / guitar unplayed is always a bit weird since I've played two identical models in stores and though one felt better...

• Members

You can still get Michael Kelly Patriot Vintage models for under $400. These are very high quality guitars brought to you by the people that also own BC Rich, Traben Bass, and other brands.

The Patriot Vintage is made at the same factory they make PRS SE guitars at as well as the higher-end models from ESP, DBZ, and Dean -- World Music Ltd in Korea. The quality of workmanship and QC work is very very high on these. The Patriot Vintage model is like a LP Standard. It has 2 volume / 2 tone, stop tailpiece with pull-up coil splitting on the tone control, T-O-M bridge, Grover tuners, very very good work on the binding, inlays, and finish. The fret work is also phenomenal. Pickups are excellent sounding and have a nicely aged satin plating instead of the usual shiny plating (some are finish schemes have gold, other finish schemes have chrome).

41Z79%2BzsBsL.jpg41UC%2BGUSpwL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Kelly-...l+kelly+guitar

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Kelly-...l+kelly+guitar

• Members

You can still get Michael Kelly Patriot Vintage models for under $400. These are very high quality guitars brought to you by the people that also own BC Rich, Traben Bass, and other brands.

Thanks! This is super helpful!

Any idea which of their guitars use the same construction methods/ personnel? I'm interested in what they have overall, if the product is that worthwhile.

• Members
Any idea which of their guitars use the same construction methods/ personnel? I'm interested in what they have overall, if the product is that worthwhile.

Yes, there are indeed several other very worthy Patriot models from Michael Kelly. The MK Vintage model we talked about above is just the beginning. There are other Patriot models with exotic wood tops, exotic construction, etc. Vintage, Custom, Limited, Q, Premium, Shadow, Supreme, are some of the older models to watch out for.

Some of these Patriot models have an extra deep tenon neck instead of traditional set-neck joint construction, and/or have direct-mount pickups pickups directly mounted to their resonant bodies, and/or have ebony fingerboards, various spalted wood tops, TonePros bridges + tailpieces, etc.

The common traits you'll find among all of these models – including the items we discussed earlier about fretwork, hardware, craftsmanship, and so forth -- is that they play exceptionally well, as in very articulate and complex tonality with long sustain when played UNPLUGGED. Plug them in and they still sound basically the same. Your amp will do the colouring of the tone. But, you don’t really need to plug into an amp to practice. They are quite resonant and loud acoustically, as well as a very stable instruments that stay in tune. These are the traits I often find on expensive boutique instruments.

As for what’s available, the Patriot models I mentioned above are mostly MK’s older Patriot models. Some are still available at low prices. The newer models are more expensive. The two most basic Patriots are the Decree and Standard. They are actually quite decent, but not on the same level as the models mentioned earlier. The Decree and Standard are made at a different factory in China, not at World Music Ltd in Korea.

Here is the current model production:

https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/en/#

Information on most of the older models can be had by downloading the catalogues (PDF format) from the MK website.

http://www.hansermusicgroup.com/download/mk/

I rarely ever look around on eBay for anything, but, I just did some digging around any way and found a pretty awesome deal on a new (old stock) black finish Patriot Vintage with gold hardware for only $299+free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Vintage-Black-Electric-Guitar-Gold-Hardware-/201010556203?hash=item2ecd29ad2b:g:w34AAOxyNo9SvkcT

Archived