Easy tilt console stands

• Members

Does anyone here have experience with Easy Tilt console stands? Example:

http://www.proavmax.com/Midas-Easy-Tilt-Console-Stand-28-5-High-p/mid-easy-tilt-std.htm

Why I'm asking:

1) If they really do work well I'm thinking I could use four of them.

2) Two of the stands that I think I need would be for smaller boards (Soundcraft Venues 24ch)... and two would be for PM4K's (approx. 700lbs. ea. in the case). It doesn't seem like EZ tilt stands are available for the smaller boards.

3) I'm pretty well set-up for cutting, bending, and welding metal. It appears to me that EZ tilt stands are basically *that* (cut, bent, welded metal). At approx. $750ea (with shipping)... is this the sort of thing a well equipped metal worker could stand a good chance of producing, or should I just bite the bullet and shell out $3K for 4 of them (assuming I can even buy smaller board application stands)?

• Members

Mark, I've got one that I used to use with your old Soundcraft 200B. It's on loan to a friend with a large board now that I've outgrown the 200, but here are my thoughts. Very handy. Def could build yourself, but at $650 a piece, is it worth the time and agro? Do you really need 4? Will all 4 boards go out at once? I bought one so that I could lift the 200b by myself on gigs, and it was great, but it turns out I shoulda put the money into smaller and better consoles, which I ultimately did. Short answer, they are great, and yes, you could make some yourself.

• Members

I bought one so that I could lift the 200b by myself on gigs, and it was great, but it turns out I shoulda put the money into smaller and better consoles, which I ultimately did.

Trust me, the thought continually crosses my mind (smaller/better consoles)... but I'm old and comfortably wallered into my rut (a rut... humm... isn't that just a grave with the ends kicked out?) I'm totally comfortable with everything else about my big ole dinosaur boards... except somehow getting them from a vertical position transitioned to a working height horizontal position and then back to the vertical position again (without bringing along the backhoe).

• Members

There should be some good used ones available. I have used them and they do work quite well.

This is the only I've seen... and I've been beating the brush for a few months:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120858006008

And "yes"... I was the second highest bidder... seems like I'm almost always the second highest bidder on stuff I really want. Auctions that I bid on... seems to me the sellers should be sending me commission checks... as their stuff wouldn't go for anything if I wasn't bidding.

• Members

They do work well, but they're generally intended for larger consoles. I'm not sure you'd find something that would really work well for the 24ch boards, but they'd be ideal for the 4k's. You could make some relatively easily, there's not that much to them. If you've got a good bender, the only slightly hard part would be accurately cutting the slots for the scissor bracing so they run smoothly, and making sure both sides get built the same as each other (and square). Otherwise it's all pretty much off-the-shelf hardware and easy cutting and welding.

I'd recommend building them from aluminum, the steel ones are a little heavy (but not unmanageable). Either way, just make sure you use heavy enough tubing (and solid welds). The last thing your guys want is a 4k falling on their toes in the middle of a show. ;)

If you can find a local company to loan you one to examine, that might make things a little easier.

• Members

The "local company" is likely to be at least one or two time zones or 3 climate zones away.

I'm not too worried about the scissor bracing...and yes, that's admittedly a bit complex, but I suspect my idea of a cross bracing (like used for scaffolding) would be equally or more effective, although admittedly being a bit more cumberson.

• Members

It really depends on the console - if the case is pretty tall, it'll likely work well on an EZ-tilt. Shorter cases/boards tend to be a bit of a fight. An M7CL is generally not very happy on an EZ-tilt, though those boards are light enough for two to dead-lift onto whatever empty cases.

Not sure I've seen any console where I'd trust myself to safely EZ-tilt the thing solo. And usually when you've got a console big and heavy enough for the tilter, you can't lift the lid off on your own.

• Members

Yup... the lids of the 4K's are about 8ft. wide, 4ft. deep, and probably weight 150 lbs... and have a lot of expensive knobs and stuff under them.

Stuck on the wall of the shop is a note saying "knobs broken off during lidding process". We still haven't figured out how they managed to actually break off the knobs in question, since the case has rails protecting those particular knobs.

• Members

I'd go with this one:
http://www.tmb.com/products/EZ-Tilt

Yes, from what I can determine, the TMB EZ-Tilt comes highly recommended... only problem (for me) is the $963 ea. pricetag.

Maybe it's a fine line between being frugal and just plain cheap. I fancy myself as being a frugal type... but the reality might be :facepalm:

Archived