Drum triggers

• Members

Sounds like you are looking for a solution to a non-problem IMO. You will now have all the hassles of an electronic kit plus the hassles of the acoustic kit too!

This was very true for us when we tried it. No matter what triggers we bought it seemed there was always an issue with them. Then there is the whole thing with the drums sounding fake, which is fine if you like that sort of thing. In my opinion there is something special about a good quality acoustic drum kit, tuned properly with good microphone selection and placement.

• Members

Marko, I don't think it's a given that mics or triggers are always useful, especially with a good well-tuned acoustic kit, with good heads, and in small venues.

Assuming you've addressed the heads and the tuning, assuming your drummer has some decent volume-control technique, and assuming you're not trying to solve any special room acoustics issues...

I'd suggest you first play a few gigs with your new stuff, unmic'ed/untriggered, and see how it turns out. Let your drummer experiment with his palette first...

If it turns out you decide you need mics or triggers -- and are willing to put in all the extra cost/effort associated with all that -- at least you've have a better handle on how to proceed.

-D44

• Members

Marko, I don't think it's a given that mics or triggers are always useful, especially with a good well-tuned acoustic kit, with good heads, and in small venues.

Assuming you've addressed the heads and the tuning, assuming your drummer has some decent volume-control technique, and assuming you're not trying to solve any special room acoustics issues...

I'd suggest you first play a few gigs with your new stuff, unmic'ed/untriggered, and see how it turns out. Let your drummer experiment with his palette first...

If it turns out you decide you need mics or triggers -- and are willing to put in all the extra cost/effort associated with all that -- at least you've have a better handle on how to proceed.

-D44

Maybe a Audix D6 for the kick since he has a sub and call it a day.

As Age mentioned not worth the trouble using triggers and Alesis DM4 is POS drum module

it lacks tracking the drummer dynamics meaning it can't tell the difference between a soft hit or hard hit.

• Members

Here you go since you can use real time plugins with your SL mixer since you mentioned you owned one.

[video=youtube;cYOvKKwNYwk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYOvKKwNYwk&feature=related

It's a poor mand version of Drumagog 5 which you can turn you drum mics into to triggers.

Of course latency will all depend on your CPU and RAm horse power and will require

VSTi drum sampler like EZdrummer or BFD eco which I bought BFD ECO at the midistore no brainer deal for $20

I use Reaper for my DAW mixer for real time plugins.

Archived