MRX/PRX system

• Members

I'm looking at a MRX or PRX system to use for small venues (50-100 people). Our budget is around $2,000-$4,000. We play 80's hair metal, heavy on the snare/drums and bass. :) We currently have a RMX2450, RMX5050 and a GX5. One option is to purchase something like (2) MRX512's for the mains and (2) MRX518's for subs. First, would this system reproduce the 80's style music we play and would any of those amps I stated, work with this set up?

For the PRX system I was thinking the very same, (2) 612's and (2) 618's XLF.

Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The advice given around here is usually that an amp that delivers 1 - 1.5 times the rms or continuous rating of your speaker is safe for all but the most idiotic of users. Since the MRX512 has a continuous rating of 400 watts and the 518 is rated at 500 and they're 8 ohm cabinets, the GX-5 and the 2450 would be ideal matches with one speaker on each channel, which is putting out 500 watts rms. The 5050 looks like it's a beast for a more substantial speaker.

• Members

Whoops, it would seem like we should look at the 4 ohm ratings, then. You could still use the same amps, you're still inside the "rule of thumb", just use a little caution and don't try to get more thump out of them then they're capable of.

Having said all that, the prices and weights of the MRX and PRX lines are so close as to make the PRXs seem like a "no-brainer", especially since the MRX518 isn't considered to be a particularly great sub.

• Members

My $0.02 - sell the amps, Go with the PRX612 over PRX618XLF rig. You will not be sorry.

That is kind of the way I am leaning. Do you feel that this system will reproduce our kind of music well?

• Members

The MRX is a decent box. I have 4 of the 515's and a pair of the 528's. The 5050 you have is a little to much for the 528's, even when run in stereo, Some limiting would be needed. The 2450 would be a good match for the 512's. Actually the 4050 is good for the 528's when run 1 to a side. They'll rock 100 easily. The nice thing about the 512's is that they are only around 40 lbs per box. The 528's are about 125 lbs and do not have a cup for a pole, which I always thought sucked. I added a couple of wheels and a handle to the back of mine and can easily roll them where needed.

• Members
That is kind of the way I am leaning. Do you feel that this system will reproduce our kind of music well?

Good for maybe 200 people. You could also go with SRX718S passive subs and SRX712M passive tops powered by the RMX5050 assuming you don't mind running mono and have a suitable crossover.

• Members

That will be a great system for the size venues you say you're playing and it will make the drums sound good provided you have decent mics and mixer. The 612's can run with 4 of those subs so want even more kick drum you just buy two more 618XLF's. Setting these up is easy as pie and no separate crossover is necessary.

• Members

Good for maybe 200 people. You could also go with SRX718S passive subs and SRX712M passive tops powered by the RMX5050 assuming you don't mind running mono and have a suitable crossover.

Looks like the PRX is the same driver, etc as the SRX, correct? If so, then the PRX is really the powered version of the SRX, not the MRX.

• Members
Looks like the PRX is the same driver, etc as the SRX, correct? If so, then the PRX is really the powered version of the SRX, not the MRX.

Actually only the PRX618S-XLF is a powered SRX class. The others including the PRX618S are powered MRX class.

• Members

That will be a great system for the size venues you say you're playing and it will make the drums sound good provided you have decent mics and mixer. The 612's can run with 4 of those subs so want even more kick drum you just buy two more 618XLF's. Setting these up is easy as pie and no separate crossover is necessary.

We use the Sennheiser mics and a MixWiz 16:2. :-)

• Members

My PRX512s over MRX518s can easily handle 200+. The subs give out long before the tops. A PRX612 over PRX618 XLF would be an incredible sounding and loud rig for most but the biggest rooms. My guess is that a rig like that could easily handle up to 400 if the room size and shape are working in it's favor. That is my dream rig right now. Hoping to pick it up this summer.

• Members

My PRX512s over MRX518s can easily handle 200+. The subs give out long before the tops. A PRX612 over PRX618 XLF would be an incredible sounding and loud rig for most but the biggest rooms. My guess is that a rig like that could easily handle up to 400 if the room size and shape are working in it's favor. That is my dream rig right now. Hoping to pick it up this summer.

I'm in the process of selling off some older PA equipment and want a lightweight, easy to set-up, awesome sounding system to use at places that dont have a current PA in them. It may get used once or twice a month, but I think it would be well worth it.

• Members

I'm in the process of selling off some older PA equipment and want a lightweight, easy to set-up, awesome sounding system to use at places that dont have a current PA in them. It may get used once or twice a month, but I think it would be well worth it.

I've always wanted a SRX rig, and am still considering the 712 over 718............

• Members

I agree as to the research I have been doing on this forum. I may consider going with a MRX528 instead. I really am liking the PRX line however.

Not to play devils advocate, but if this is the only forum that you have been searching to make an informed decision, then you need to do some more research.

Im not knocking the PRX series, although I have read some stories about thermal shutdown, but you should search some of the other forums and try to get as many unbiased REAL world reviews as possible.

Just my .02

• Members

I'm running a 612/XLF rig right now (w/ 512s for monitors). I have a couple of 80s hair metal clients. No worries at all. It is a great sounding system for this.

• Members

I've always wanted a SRX rig, and am still considering the 712 over 718............

This would be my vote.

Seeing how you already have amps that are capable of driving these cabinets this would be a major improvement over the MRX&PRX series IMO..

Spend a little more cash now and buy a rig that you won't be second guessing 2-months down the road.

Archived