Can/Should I Exchange this American Strat?

naboutboul

• Members
I liked the mismatched guitar. I'm weird like that. I'd of kept it but: different strokes for different folks!

As a player, I don't really care what a guitar looks like.

My Les Paul has had the finish removed exposing a three piece maple top. The seams are obvious and the grain does not match however it is the best sounding and most responsive guitar I have ever owned. Should I send it back because Gibsons are really expensive?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In terms of aesthetic preference I've found people generally fall somewhere between "don't give a crap" and "I'd rather die than be in the same room with that".

I'm definitely somewhere on that scale. Function is definitely more important than form for me, but over a thousand USD must deliver both.

• Members
Eh, a thousand bucks isn't that much because it's a mass produced guitar. If it were two thousand I'd return it.

Why would you want two in the same color? That doesn't make sense to me.

Don't know. I figured I'll end up selling my 2012 eventually. This is my favorite color strat and I know I can't sell one the wife gave me so I figured this way I'll always have it 8-)

• Members

As a player, I don't really care what a guitar looks like.

My Les Paul has had the finish removed exposing a three piece maple top. The seams are obvious and the grain does not match however it is the best sounding and most responsive guitar I have ever owned. Should I send it back because Gibsons are really expensive?

If it was a solid color top then I would think it would be hard to complain about matched pieces. Sort of apples and oranges wrt this thread...

• Members

You're right, it's not a fair comparison.

The point I wanted to make is that I would not pass on a great sounding instrument because the pieces of the body didn't match visually.

I think it was Mark Knopfler who referred to some instruments as "furniture guitars."

Archived