Just attended an amazing event - African American Baptist Church Gospel Music Service

• Members

My Brothers,

I posted on this forum cause I think ya'll understand. I just attended a Gospel Music service at the Virginia Baptist Church in rural Louisiana near my home. I've never experienced more raw talent, emotional playing and singing, and just plain faith in one place. And ALL WITHOUT SOPHISTICATED GEAR!

A member of the church invited three of us to attend this special Monday night service. There were about 300 packed in a small church. From where I sat, well mostly standing clapping my hands, I could get only a limited view of the actual equipment.

Two older model Peavey 15" cabs with mounted on the wall. An acoustic piano, basic un-mic'd drum kit, small unknown bass amp, 30 singers sharing about 6 mics, and a large format church Hammond organ playing to TWO LESLIES MOUNTED ON THE REAR WALL! No monitors or subs. I dare you to get a more heartfelt sound with all the fancy equipment we all discuss on this forum.

There is no doubt where the roots of modern music originated when you hear something like this. Pictures or recordings don't do it any justice. You just have to have been there to experience of the sound of the whole congregation with those musicians. DO NOT EVER PASS UP AN INVITATION TO AN EVENT LIKE THIS! WOW...

• Members

My Brothers,

I posted on this forum cause I think ya'll understand. I just attended a Gospel Music service at the Virginia Baptist Church in rural Louisiana near my home. I've never experienced more raw talent, emotional playing and singing, and just plain faith in one place. And ALL WITHOUT SOPHISTICATED GEAR!

A member of the church invited three of us to attend this special Monday night service. There were about 300 packed in a small church. From where I sat, well mostly standing clapping my hands, I could get only a limited view of the actual equipment.

Two older model Peavey 15" cabs with mounted on the wall. An acoustic piano, basic un-mic'd drum kit, small unknown bass amp, 30 singers sharing about 6 mics, and a large format church Hammond organ playing to TWO LESLIES MOUNTED ON THE REAR WALL! No monitors or subs. I dare you to get a more heartfelt sound with all the fancy equipment we all discuss on this forum.

There is no doubt where the roots of modern music originated when you hear something like this. Pictures or recordings don't do it any justice. You just have to have been there to experience of the sound of the whole congregation with those musicians. DO NOT EVER PASS UP AN INVITATION TO AN EVENT LIKE THIS! WOW...

YES! Love it! Thanks for posting!

• Members

My Brothers,

That is the exact type of church our singer started singing in. (Detroit, think he said a 100 person male choir.) With the way he turned out, it's got to be a great place to start.

• CMS Author

My takeaway is that great gear won't make poor performers more talented, or talented performers more emotionally connected with the music. Clapton will still be great without "Blackie", BB will still kill without Lucille, Jamerson could pick up any bass and shine. This doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to have and use the best we can reasonably afford. It does mean we need to understand a great deal of technical detail (hint, hint: that Behringer "discussion") about acoustics, electronics, and performer expectations. And practice. Nothing beats experience.

summit111, I'm glad you got to experience such an inspiring event. These are moments that stick with us forever!

Archived