Song suggestions for Classic Rock Band

chord123

• Members

Wow, Dave, I'd forgotten all about the organ in Don't Dream It's Over. Gorgeous. Timbrally pretty close to AWSOP, sounds like 6888 2nd slow soft to me.

My band agreed to add "My Sharona", hopefully in time for next gig (in about 3 weeks). It should work well for us, and replace "Losing My Religion" in the set list for that type of venue. I need to come up with a keyboard part for it, it will probably be something not-busy on organ that supports the rhythm and backing vocals while emphasizing dynamics. That's starting to be my signature sound for covering tunes without keys on the album. God, I love playing the organ.

Wes

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

What sources do you use to find out the most requested and played songs on radio? A publication a website Billboard a radio station. I have been using Billboard top 100 from 1955-2011 I would like a better source because I don't feel some of these oldies get played anymore even though they were a big hit in their day.

• Members
What sources do you use to find out the most requested and played songs on radio? A publication a website Billboard a radio station. I have been using Billboard top 100 from 1955-2011 I would like a better source because I don't feel some of these oldies get played anymore even though they were a big hit in their day.

Most of those songs don't get played anymore, you are correct. Listen to your local classic rock radio station. If you don't hear it on there, I wouldn't bother with it.

The truth is that the drummer you spoke with is largely correct about classic rock. It's a genre that is finding a smaller and smaller audience with every passing year. Biker bars probably are the main outlet you'll find for playing live classic rock. But every market is different and will have its own little niches and venues. You'll figure it out as you start playing out and trying to get gigs.

• Members

The truth is that the drummer you spoke with is largely correct about classic rock. It's a genre that is finding a smaller and smaller audience with every passing year. Biker bars probably are the main outlet you'll find for playing live classic rock. But every market is different and will have its own little niches and venues. You'll figure it out as you start playing out and trying to get gigs.

While I wouldn't say Classic Rock is making a comeback it is worthy to note that as the club scene is dying in my neck of the woods the only bands being able to gig are classic rock bands. That's because most will simply work for little to no money. So while our calendar dries up in regards with built in crowds and the ability to pay over $1000 per show, the gigs that are left are small neighborhood bars with a capcity of 50 or less and pay bands $200-300. I can count a dozen classic rock bands playing a handful of small bars. It is what it is. I don't expect it to change much as the nightclub scene here has all but dried up.

In regards to songs for a setlist I'd advise checking out a few local bands. See what the set is like, what songs worked, how everything flows. Picking something off a recommended list says nothing about the region or audience you are playing to. If you are playing in California the Beach Boys could go over, yet on the border in Buffalo, Tom Cochrane and RUSH could be big crowd pleasers. I remember Scott, the keys player here from Arkansas or Alabama had Mother's Finest in their set. You could never play that in NY. Of course you'll have the standard crowd pleasers but I would think every area of the country has a slightly differnt flavor.

Archived