Mashing two Leslies to make a more conventional one.

WynnD

• Members

You might want to purchase some heat sink epoxy (e.g. Arctic Silver) and heat sinks that fit your octave-divider DIPs. It will do a much better job at getting the heat away from the die than air circulation alone.

Is it the MM5824s that are failing? If so, the replacement you mentioned must be http://www.flatkeys.co.uk/MM5824N.html.

I also have a note in German in my copy of the X5 service manual that (I think) says you can use a CD4024 if you build an adapter of some kind (the pinouts are different). CD4024s are easy to find.

6ae9dd2798c7c90961d496df6cced612.thumb.png.2be410372dfff2dcef1487e4e5eead5a.png

6ae9dd2798c7c90961d496df6cced612.thumb.png.568c9e5e3ed2b837b2963773da78af30.png

I should take sound samples from the 860, 825 and the two stacked prior to getting my circular saw out. After I'm done, others will know if this is a good idea or not for them.

I think that's an excellent idea, and I for one would be very interested in hearing all the various combinations, as well as the before / after clips.

FWIW, add my name to the "I think you're nuts" group for even considering chopping up your Leslies. :lol::wave:

• Members

It is a pretty minor modification. I could also do the same thing by just building up the bass portion of the 860. (That might be worthy of consideration.) Would have to add the bass ports. (Not hard) Would take the volume from the 825's dimensions. That would be making a few assumptions that could be verified. Size of the speaker hole, the rotors being the same size. (They might not be, but a casual look says otherwise.) Also would need to verify the drivers are exactly the same model. (Casual look says yes.) Of course doing that would require purchasing a sheet of plywood. We do have a great place for purchasing wood out here. (Can even get ebony at about $100 a board foot.) It's getting a bit too cold for doing this outdoors, so the project might sit on the shelf for a while.

• Members

BTW, how far are you from Colorado Springs? There's a 145 for sale there at a reasonable price. 145s are my absolute favourite gigging Leslie. Of course, you'll need to use an adapter to get an 11-pin signal, unless you swap the amps over.

• Members

Not far from Colorado Springs. Not buying a 145. (At least never for gigging. Might buy one for home use if I ever get my space back.) Don't want to scar a nice wood cabinet and not wanting to go back to tube amps. And the end result of my project should be smaller than a 145 and much easier to get around. I've always got the 760 for a more normal Leslie sound. (Hopefully, they won't be different enough sounding to tell them apart,) But thanks for the suggestion.

Archived