PRS talks about frets, stability and tone

wankdeplank

• Members

Frets also contribute to an instrument's overall tone. Obviously, they create the scalable notes of the guitar, but it is also important to note that when a string is engaged against a fret, the fret is carrying the string's vibration into the wood. So, they can either add to or take away from a guitar's natural resonance and musicality. We use frets with a lot of nickel, which rings well. And between the fret radius, the superglue, and the tines of the fret, they fit so well in the fret slots that the sound transfer is unhindered.

In the end, the point is that every piece of the puzzle is important, including frets.

Looks like I'm not the only one that's not quite sold on SS frets.

• Members

Bright is right, to the expense of warmth IMO. I got rid of a Custom Shop Washburn P4 with SS frets but only after a costly fret dress due to one high fret, and a change of pickups to counter the brightness issue. Due to the hardness of SS, I think you also sacrifice a little bit in the uniformity department - in my case a high fret. As far as tone, I think you sacrifice a lot of the harmonic overtones, which I suppose is fine if you play with a lot of gain. Just wanted to make a case that there is a cost however great or small, for no-wear frets.

Archived