Speakers Inside/Ouside Lighting -- Poll

• Members

I don't think I've seen this discussed... but I've heard conflicting opinions from band leader to band leader...

Your speakers should be 'inside' or 'outside' of your lighting trees

Here are the arguments I've heard:

Speakers Inside of Lighting Trees:

Pros -

??

Cons -

Light Tree may block / deflect sound, unless cranked up high enough.

Light may be blocked by speaker, unless cranked up high enough.

Speakers Outside of Lighting Trees

Pros -

Lighting will not be blocked by and do not have to be cranked up higher than the speakers.

Cons -

Light Tree may block / deflect sound.

What say you, Acapella?

• Members

Best place for light trees is where patrons will not trip over them....

Anyone had an issue with that?

I don't have speakers at the front, some venues don't have stages and people possibly will want to dance, what's the best way to avoid trip issues?

• Members

I am always amazed when I go see other bands on my rare night off from providing sound....at just how F'n sloppy some people keep there stage!

Speaker/Mic cables just in giant rats nests begging for people to get tangled up in them

Then without fail I will always find someone that will put a light tree out in front of the band on the dance floor (in front of there PA speakers). This is just asking for trouble....and yet, without fail....it goes on every weekend in club land..

• Members

I always put light stands where folks are least likely to trip. Usually I back two of the tripod legs up to the stage so one sticks out. Then I put my sub in the "L" to the outside of the stand on each side of the stage. That leaves a nice L on the inside you would have a hard time tripping over.

• Members

If I'm tight for space, I just mount some clamps on to the rigging points of my tops, and hang the front light bars from them (with 2 Q12As per side) . I use a strap on the other side of the speaker to offset the weight (strapped to the sub handle)

Archived