Most indestructable small mixer

• Members

We had another "B" mixer die yesterday. It's got a temporary replacment however I'd like to replace it with something more industrial.

Here's the requirments:

Rack mount (somewhere around 8-10 RU - It's replacing a Euro something)

Stereo XLR out

Minimum 4 XLR mic pre channels w/pan

Minimum 4 Balanced line channels (if 2 are combines as a stereo single channel, that's OK).

No FX or special EQ required.

What I'm looking for is reliability. It's basicly set and left locked in a well ventilated (albiet a bit dusty) rack.

Sound quality is secondary to durability (I don't want to have to replace this again).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Members

Rebuilt Yamaha M-406. Best board in that class by a mile. The Ashley MX-508 (?) is another option.

Yamaha is 6 inputs (mic or line), xfmer balannced in and out, 1 monitor or effects bus (programmable pre/post internally), 3 band eq and increadably reliable. I have 3 in an installation that are on 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and it's been over 15 years. I know your day job isn't into used gear but I might have one here that I can sell with the same warranty as a factory warranty, fully rebuilt and factory fresh.

• Members

the peavey 701r seems to fit this bill as well though it might not have enough line inputs. its fallen, its gotten sand in it, its gotten almost rained on, it had hot coacoa spilled on it, its my go to mixer for seedy bar punk shows and its 20 some odd years old and works like new..find one and i bet you'll be happy for a long time.

failing that, the m406 yamaha boards are really very nice, just sold one actually and kind of regret it now.

• Members

My A&H Zed10FX is pretty solidly built and has been very reliable. It has 4 mic pres with pan, 2 stereo line in pairs, LR XLR balanced outs. The Zed10 has no effects and is about $50 less. Nice sound quality and good EQ for that price range. Much smaller than rack mount, but you can get optional rack ears pretty cheap.

• Members

Kinda hard for me to advise since you have more experience than I do, but I like the Yamaha MGs for a reliable budget board.

Is there a budget to consider?

What happened to the old mixer?

A couple of months ago we had a power outage. When the rack came back up (this system is on 24/7) there was a poping sound (about 100 BPM). Every LED ion the board was flashing (regardless of the trim settings including empty channels). When the board was powered down and back up it was usable again. Evidently it happened again on an off shift as we found the whole rack unplugged. This time the mixer didn't recover. My guess is power supply (this "B" unit it's internal). It's a throwaway. I might bring it home and try to fix it (and then give it to someone I don't like too much) but it's not worth my labor & parts to fix it at my work place.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's really one of those Combo racks with a table top mixer mounted in the top but I believe there's enough extra rack space below for either a M-406 or MX-508. The rack is locked & has a fan + vent screens front & back so heat wasn't the issue (I really should get a piece of air cleaner foam though because it is really dusty).

• Members

Peavey or Yamaha if you want durability.

While I wouldn't argue with that, I would not agree they are better than the Ashly MX508 in that respect. The Ashly is built to last and built to be serviced. It also has a sweepable mid on the channel eq, which most of the smaller mixers don't have. I've been very happy with mine, and have been gigging with it with no problems for over 5 years. I'm not sure it will fit in the OP's rack setup, though. I just use mine in a regular vertical rack.

• Members

The Ashley or Yamaha are the defacto standard in this class, there really isn't a single other practical competitor that I am aware of (in the western hemisphere anyway).

For voice only, no eq, paging and BGM, there is TOA, Bogen, Peavey AA, EAW Commercial/Industrial, etc, but they don't have what JR is looking for.

• Members

Anyone have experience with the APB Dynasonics Prorack? The feature set may be a bit overkill for the OP, but the form factor is right, it's designed to be at least somewhat modular and user-servicable, and their target market is pro's w/ cash, not weekend warriors on a budget (which would at least suggest durability).

-Dan.

• Members

The APB boards are great......but most likely way out of the OP's budget.

I was able to see there entire line at a demo a couple of years ago, very impressed with everything about there boards from build quality to feature set.

If anyone is still into analog boards you would be missing out if you don't at least take a look at there product.

• Members

The Peavey MI products being mentioned are in a league well below the M-406 or MX-508, not even close.

You are, of course, 100% true and correct, but the OP will have to decide if the ten-fold price difference is worth it:

$1,300 versus $130

http://www.amazon.com/Ashly-MicLine-Channel-Attenuation-Phantom/dp/accessories/B002954FYQ

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/392130.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps

• Members
You are, of course, 100% true and correct, but the OP will have to decide if the ten-fold price difference is worth it:

$1,300 versus $130

At the level JR operates, it's worth the money spent not to suffer the effects of a product {censored}ting the bed at the worst possible time. The cost is generally a pretty small part of the equation in our world.

• Members

The APB boards are great......but most likely way out of the OP's budget.

I was able to see there entire line at a demo a couple of years ago, very impressed with everything about there boards from build quality to feature set.

If anyone is still into analog boards you would be missing out if you don't at least take a look at there product.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the OP's got a decent budget. (that's why Andy is recommending $1300 8ch mixers). I've only had the chance to demo them at AES, so I can't say from experience whether or not they stand up to abuse.

-Dan.

• Members

I bought my MX-508 used less than a year old (they are date coded) for $500 or $550. They don't come up often, but when they do, there aren't many people who know how good they are, so they often go relatively cheap due to low demand. I bought mine from a Guitar Center on the East coast by telephone (with a 30 day return policy). If you can find one under 5 years old, the Ashly warranty is still in effect even for a non-original owner.

• Members

So buy 5 of them, if one did happen to fail, you're covered and you still saved a ton of money.
:)

Ha! Ha! Ha! That sounds like EXACTLY managments philosophy except they buy 1 and when it fails rig something else up and then MAYBE buy another (a much slower process).

I gave my boss some options and the reply was "Bring it to us and maybe we can fix it". There are a couple of folks who MIGHT be able to fix it (excluding myself). I said "Sure, have at it" (I won't waste their time like that if I can help it). Possibly they won't find the time (or ability) and We'll end up with something better. Now it's a wait and see situation. These people are about as cheap as it comes (penny wise and pound foolish). As long as my paycheck clears............... :-)

Archived