Pa sub question

• Members

I have been given three bl 2x15 subs that are ancient. Is there any use for them as subs for a rock band. They are rated at 1200 continuous pink noise??? I have a feeling I won't be able to power them enoight to get a decent sound out pf them is there some sort of rule for wattage?

the power amps I have are jbl sr6630. I have eight or so

The subs are jbl as 1025.

I got a whole lot of stuff that u of m was throwing away and it has been great for practice but Iwould not mind expanding the setup to be able to do one it two shows a year.

Thank you you guys are extremely full of knowledge.

• Members

I have never heard them but they appear to be OK subs. According to the JBL literature they are installed version but that doesn't mean you can't lug them around. Your amps are 300W at 4 ohms. The literature doesn't list a 4 ohm bridged rating for your amps so I'm assuming you can't do that.

Why don't you try them with the amps you have, one sub per channel, and see how they sound. Could be be they are fine for your use. The other question will be what tops do you intend on using with them? What kind of crossover etc.?

• Members
I have never heard them but they appear to be OK subs. According to the JBL literature they are installed version but that doesn't mean you can't lug them around. Your amps are 300W at 4 ohms. The literature doesn't list a 4 ohm bridged rating for your amps so I'm assuming you can't do that.

They are rated for 2 ohms/ch so should handle 4 ohms bridged - maybe AH knows? In any case they were free so I'd apply the "no guts, no glory" rule here ;) . The should put 500 watts into each driver which is about right for these cabs to get up and boogie :D . Not bridged they'd only get 150 watts per driver ...

• Members

They are rated for 2 ohms/ch so should handle 4 ohms bridged - maybe AH knows? In any case they were free so I'd apply the "no guts, no glory" rule here
;)
. The should put 500 watts into each driver which is about right for these cabs to get up and boogie
:D
. Not bridged they'd only get 150 watts per driver ...

My first thought was bridging but when I didn't see it listed I backed off that. He has 8 amps to test it on though. At 500W those 15's should thump pretty nice. He would still have a few amps left over for his tops whatever they are.

• Members

Yeah they were pa speakers at the big house I guess I will go for it. I don't know where I got this bit I thought when I looked up the amps they were 600 watts bridged.

They also gave me two RCF art300 s that I've been using as monitors / tops and one behringer 118 sub. Honestly the behringer probably will sound better but It doesn't have a match and I'm allergic to spending money on non guitar rig related purchases especially if it is behringer ...

• Members

You got some really nice gear...

Subs are the installation version of the SR4700x series

Amps are a nice, well built amp. As to bridging into 4 ohms, as long as you don't drive them into clipping (use a speaker processor with properly set limiters is a MUST)) you should be ok. They are not rated into 2 ohms stereo or 4 ohms bridged though there is the indication that they will work outside of the UL listing at reduced duty cycle. This means not driven really hard.

There's still a viable market for these amps in the installation world as back-ups and spares.

If you could find another matching sub, you would have a potent sounding PA (subs-wise).

• Members

Wow didn't realize I almost threw them away! I saw a limiter in the pile of junk they gave me I will figure that out. Turns out I only have three working amps and those have scratchy pots.

A while back I must have thrown three amps of the amps away because I am down to five. Of the five, two I can't get to work. The two Broken amps that I kept might be fine if I replace the pots and input jacks or is it most likely something a tech should do? I have almost excepted that I will have to buy better power amps.

Archived