Need Speaker Recommendations For Small Venue

• Members

Our church performs musical programs at local nursing homes. This consists for 1-4 singers, and a cd player. The room sizes range from 20X20 to 40X60.

I use the KRK Rokit 8s and 10" Sub for practice at home and love the sound, however I realize they are studio monitors, and perhaps not suited for the venues listed above. Agree?

I'm considering the EVs ZXA1 plus the ZXA1 Sub.........I'm interested in the best sound quality, with max weight of each piece in the 25 lb range. Considering the residents of the nursing home(s) max volume, is not as import as that compared to a club situation.

Any/all recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

• Members

About 25 years ago I went through a "piano bar" period, where I got back to the basics and just played piano and sang (good money back then, and more work than I could take on as well). Anyway, the reason I'm bringing this up is because I still do this for my mother at her assisted living center. Two things I've noticed that seniors hate:

1. Volume

2. Low end

Both wreck havoc on those with hearing aids. The bast solution I've found is to roll all the bass off a digital piano, and basically just sing into open air (although I have a mic, it's barely on). That's the way they want it. I'd forget the sub, and just get a decent powered top of your choice.

As you can imagine, this is not a club situation at all where people are drinking and in constant conversation. Seniors will treat your musical program as a recital - they'll listen silently and attentively to every note, and applause after every number.

• Members

Two things I've noticed that seniors hate:

1. Volume

2. Low end

Both wreck havoc on those with hearing aids. The bast solution I've found is to roll all the bass off a digital piano, and basically just sing into open air (although I have a mic, it's barely on). ...(snip)...

That is fabulous insight. Thanks.

• Members

I have to agree with the seniors NOT liking deep low frequency. As for volume, as long as it is reasonable and that there is no harshness AT ALL in the sound and the vocals are clear, they are generally happy. For all of my seniors dances (up to 200 people) I use a single pair of RCF Art 310As and have never had complaints or needed more volume than they can put out. The only time I had a few complaints about the sound was when I tried to use a different set of speakers... (Wharfedale Titan 12As - which have a harsher/live sound vs the RCFs)

Here is an example of the bigger gigs I do for older folks :

This is their Christmas dance... Sound quality is bad because of it being recorded on an older Canon camera. (not a video camera as such)

Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for all suggestions/recommendations.....especially regarding the seniors and their hearing. I went with a pair of the EV ZXA1s, (no sub) and the sound is fantastic and will serve the intended purpose exceptionally well!! Thanks again...great forum!!

Archived