Monitor Mix help

• Members

Wow...lots of help here. I do appreciate it. I'll try to reply to a number of things in one message to keep the thread understandable.

wouldn't running his mix through a Rolls Personal Monitor System be a decent fix? He could run the mix through one channel and his vocals through the other, and turn down the mix as the night goes on?

I've considered something like this. It's kind of my last ditch effort; mics are all wireless, and I hate to run a bunch of cords back to the stage and complicate everything.

• Members

If you don't understand how a band manages dynamics, I think we have found the problem.

Each player has their own space and each player gives the other players room to step into and out of the lead positions. It's not a free for all, it's a group of musicians playing together with each other and not at each other.

• Members

If you don't understand how a band manages dynamics, I think we have found the problem.

+1

Each player has their own space and each player gives the other players room to step into and out of the lead positions. It's not a free for all, it's a group of musicians playing together with each other and not at each other.

That and each player, other than the OP, having one bud in and either A: a house tech that has been pi**ed off by the band and doesn't give a rat's a** about their stage mixes or B: a house tech or the actual tech for the band who doesn't know what they are doing.

• Members

I understand the goal :) Advice on the achievement of it was my purpose in starting this thread :) Bearing in mind that these are very good musicians and excellent singers that have little experience being in a band, one which they started before I came onboard.

• Members

Wow...lots of help here. I do appreciate it. I'll try to reply to a number of things in one message to keep the thread understandable.

Manage dynamics from onstage in what way?

Everyone is on IEMs, though everyone but me is using only one bud. Regular FOH tech. I am completely unable to get him to change anything monitor-wise during the show.

I understand the problem is mostly with the guitar, and also I think the singers are louder as the night goes on and they get more relaxed. Do you have any ideas for fixing this? I should say I am in no way the leader of this group. I am willing to upgrade my IEM, but no equipment upgrades other than this.

I've considered something like this. It's kind of my last ditch effort; mics are all wireless, and I hate to run a bunch of cords back to the stage and complicate everything.

Well, if you have a regular FOH tech who works for the band, refusing your request to adjust your monitor mix during the show is unacceptable. It's his job to give you what you need during the show, unless I'm really missing something here. Any responsible tech should make adjustments as requested, unless you are asking for monitor adjustments every song or something, or he truly doesn't know what he's doing.

The other posters are right about band dynamics, the ideal situation is for others to actually lay back in volume while there is a solo going on or vocals that need to be heard etc.. You don't say what you already put in your IEM mix, but if you have everything in your mix, maybe you should simplify it, and put just your vocal, your guitar, some drums etc. Just a touch of the other players so even if they turn up, your vocal and guitar is well on top. During soundcheck, your tech should be tailoring everyone's mix to their preference. If he is NOT giving you a good monitor soundcheck, it's time for the band to have a talk with him.

Keep us updated on how things go for you and if you are able to resolve this!

• Members

They won't like my solution. Most of the bands I was ever in had a practicing rule: You can use your full rig for all instruments, but no PA allowed in the room. It forced us to rehearse at a volume that we could all hear each other, and made us learn to play tight, accurate, and dynamically. Even the drummer had to play below normal singing level. If you can make a band practice like this until they absolutely know the songs and have the sound together, you will be amazing through a system. We also kept the practice volume levels for use at all shows. Stages were never louder than you could sing over. We were playing Deep Purple, Zep, Kansas, Styx, Yes, Supertramp, Little River Band, etc at a fully controlled stage volume but in rooms with 2500-5000 people at a show. In fact, we sometimes did our rehearsals with acoustic guitars to get the harmonies down, even with the drummer playing his part on a full kit. It does take a lot of fun out of it for a while until you adjust. It is not enjoyable to hear every single, tiny error that anyone makes because absolutely nothing is covered by volume.

• Members

Most country guys, and almost every jazz guy, can outplay almost any rock guitar guy.

Which makes it even more infuriating to hear the asinine bull{censored} that passes for country music these days. Some of the best talent is playing to crowds with some of the worst taste.

-Dan.

Archived