$21,000 for three days rent - I'm in the wrong business!!!

• Members

We have an odd situation up here in Canada, it's called Long & McQuade. Folks have talked about it before. They have really low rental prices that don't seem to effect the Steak House guys, but do impact the Hot Dog stand and Lemonade Stand guys (my category it would seem). L&M doesn't really support, set up, or deliver, so there is still a market for the big Sound Co's.

But just try and pitch a fair price for a small potatoes event, and you'll get "forget it, I'll just rent from L&M". Folks don't care about delivery, expertise, sound quality and so on - at least not at the ankle biter level. I don't really know if anyone has figured out a way to cross rent from L&M and then build service and knowledge into the pricing and make a go. I'm not personally interested in that.

BTW the projector cost for said conference was $500.00 a day each. Total cost would have been $6000.00 before taxes and labour. The L&M costs (weekly rental) $125.00 each. Total cost for the conference was $500.00 before taxes. Of course someone had to pick up and return. I was also nervous about insurance so I insured all third party rental gear - cost about $160.00. Oh and the projector costs were never included in the origiinal quote. That would have upped it to over $9000.00 a day.

Again, I can see why sound companys charge what they do, and more power to them if they can get what makes financial sense. It's just interesting to see how the other "half" lives.

• Members

Yah, even down here L&M is legendary for their low rentals and not caring about you trashing their stuff
:freak:
. How do they stay in business?

Volume volume volume I guess. They are always selling the older gear and adding new gear. I rented a Line6 XD-V70 for a week for $28. Brand new off the shelf.

Also, Yorkville owns L&M. If they have 2 year even if you break it warranty, must be f*ck all to send out new drivers to keep things going.

• Members

Yah, even down here L&M is legendary for their low rentals and not caring about you trashing their stuff

It helps that they're the manufacturer, with all the resources that requires (service center, supply chain of parts whatnot, and all items at manufacturer cost).

• Members

and projectors have a short service life compared with much AB gear. 5 years is just about the limits, meaning that all costs need to be amortized within that 5 years. A projector in the AV presentation class runs between $15k and $50k per unit.

I remember the first time I had to replace a projector lamp. "You want me to spend $1200 on a lightbulb?!"

• Members

It's guys like me. There isn't but a handful of musicians in this country that made or are making a living at their craft that didn't pay boat loads of finance interest to L+M to get pro, near pro or MI insturments onto the "circuit". And who hasn't rented and said "okay, I'm keeping it. Sign me up". L+M has a brilliant business model. I should know, they've had lots of my money over the years.

Archived