Is It Even Possible to Create Transportable Mixes/Masters?!? (Warning: Scary Frequency Response Graphs)

Anderton

• Members

I've always had (at least last 20 years or so) a preservationists perspective when it comes to mixes. I ask myself, "Is this what I would want preserved in the National Archives or Library of Congress?" That's my reference.

I'm counting on some future generation to be smarter than this one... in many ways. I look ahead to the possibility people will appreciate things in the future that living people today don't care about. There's no guarantee it will get better like that. It could get worse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
If you take a mix done properly on a flat monitor source' date=' then take that Beats response curve and turn it upside down so the peaks are valleys and valleys are peaks. Then EQ the mix with similar peaks and valleys it would flatten out the beats response curve.:[/quote']

They won't like it if you do that!

I had my epiphany moment when I did a rough mix for a client and he wanted to immediately go outside and listen to it in his car. I cringed when I heard how it sounded though his crap car stereo with crazily adjust equalizer but he was in heaven. I asked him what he usually listened to and he put in some death metal thing that sounded equally and exactly the same sort of horrible. :freak:

Terry D.

• Moderators
I wonder how in the world do you measure the frequency response of earbuds or even headphones? It's not like sticking them up against a measurement mic would do any good; mics just don't work that well with extremely near-field point-source sound.

Try pulling out your earbuds and holding them 1/2" from your ear. This is what a microphone would hear.

This is how it's done:

http://www.gras.dk/45bb-5.html

Terry D.

• Moderators

Archived