EV, QSC or something else?

• Members

Ready to go out and get a new system for my band. We play scottish folk music (accordion, fiddle, keyboard and sometimes drums, only snare and hi hat) We play for dancing. We also put dj/disco tracks on through the system. We play in halls and hotels, generally for around 100 guests, but sometimes more.

After much deliberation, I think going the active route will make most sense, saving me carrying amps and needing to think about proper equalisation/crossover functions etc. I would like the tops to be as compact as possible. As for the sub, compact and light is important. I do not need chest thumping bass.

I have been looking at the following tops:

EV ZXa1 -

• Members

Just be sure the ZX-1 has enough output for your application, nice speaker. The K-10, KW-10, DXR-10 all fit the bill as well.

Have you had the chance to audition the DXRs at all Andy? I would love your professional opinion on these. I really could not find anything I didn't like about them other than the finish and somewhat fragile rear panel. Sound quality/processing wise, I truly found them excellent in all aspects as have all the reviewers/owners I have read about who have tested them so far. I liked the DSRs as well but found them a little too agressive in the high frequencies and a little lacking in the mid frequencies out of the box. This was without any applied EQ of course, but my dealer (who owns the DSR115s) is of the same opinion and is currently selling his DSRs to purchase some DXRs - he likes them so much. He is holding on to his RCF 312As though. He can't seem to let them go.

Al

• Members

I ended up (after a TON of listening, research, listening, forum-trolling, listening...) with the Yamaha DXR line. The 8's are awesome - super clear and loud as all get out. Perfect for vocal clarity and your acoustic instruments. Really - I preferred them to the K8's and K10's at a big discount from those bad boys.

Matched it with a 12" sub myself, though I didn't initially think I would. I haven't heard a single 12 or 15 in this lower price range that'll hit like an 18", but the portability and features (not to mention price) kept me with the Yamaha line. Got a DXS 12 that I thought sounded very clear and tight (like a "mid-bass" not a deeeeeeeep sub.)

All together, I have $1600 bucks in an extremely loud, insanely high-quality sounding system. It won't be ideal for every gig, but for my needs, this is perfect. Trust Al on this one - the DXR line of speakers (plus a sub that meets your needs) is a great option. Not to be overlooked.

• Members

I ended up (after a TON of listening, research, listening, forum-trolling, listening...) with the Yamaha DXR line. The 8's are awesome - super clear and loud as all get out. Perfect for vocal clarity and your acoustic instruments. Really - I preferred them to the K8's and K10's at a big discount from those bad boys.

Matched it with a 12" sub myself, though I didn't initially think I would. I haven't heard a single 12 or 15 in this lower price range that'll hit like an 18", but the portability and features (not to mention price) kept me with the Yamaha line. Got a DXS 12 that I thought sounded very clear and tight (like a "mid-bass" not a deeeeeeeep sub.)

All together, I have $1600 bucks in an extremely loud, insanely high-quality sounding system. It won't be ideal for every gig, but for my needs, this is perfect. Trust Al on this one - the DXR line of speakers (plus a sub that meets your needs) is a great option. Not to be overlooked.

I'm starting to think the same thing. I can get a pair of DXR8's for

• Members

EV ZXA1's and ZXA-sub system is very portable;however, it breaks up quickly and can not produce high output.

The other day, my friend and I had a chance to DXR8's and DXS12's next to EV''s and both of us were really surprised at how loud and clear the DXR-DXS system is compared to EV's!

• Members

I purchased QSC due to very low white noise level since I rehearsing at my place and it was important to me. I picked other active speakers, but I needed to return them as white noise in quiet conditions was unbearable.

• Members

Have you had the chance to audition the DXRs at all Andy? I would love your professional opinion on these. I really could not find anything I didn't like about them other than the finish and somewhat fragile rear panel. Sound quality/processing wise, I truly found them excellent in all aspects as have all the reviewers/owners I have read about who have tested them so far. I liked the DSRs as well but found them a little too agressive in the high frequencies and a little lacking in the mid frequencies out of the box. This was without any applied EQ of course, but my dealer (who owns the DSR115s) is of the same opinion and is currently selling his DSRs to purchase some DXRs - he likes them so much. He is holding on to his RCF 312As though. He can't seem to let them go.

Al

Yes, they are good sounding speakers up to their limits but the DSR is much more speaker and I prefer the simplified and nless vulnerable I/O and control panel.

• Members

Yes, they are good sounding speakers up to their limits but the DSR is much more speaker and I prefer the simplified and nless vulnerable I/O and control panel.

I am in love with my DSR112's :love:

We had a gig last night. Nothing but great smooth sounding goodness all night long.

Al, I do agree that they (DSR112's) are a little aggressive on the top, but it is easily removed with a little eq (not much btw).

I am going on my second year with the DSR112's and they haven't missed a beat even when I abused them stupidly.

• Members

Thank you for all the replies and advice.

I am very close to making the purchase and have almost settled on the Yamaha DXR8's. The specs of the DXR10 did not seem so much greater to justify the extra expense and size.

I am still keen on the EV Zxa1's but feel that their max spl rating of 123db compared to the Yamaha's 129db will make them lacking in output. Could anyone advise?

As for the sub, lightweight and portable are essential for me, so that rules out the Yamaha ones. The Alto TS 12 sub fits the bill at 19kg but I know very little about the company. The alternative is the EV ZXa1-SUB at 21kg. It is twice the price of the Alto but is probably much better quality so I am tempted to go that way. I do not require chest thumping bass, just appropriate bass extension to allow the tops to flourish.

So, to summarise,

Q1: Will the DXR8's be significantly louder than the ZXa1's?

Q2: Will the ZXa1-Sub be worth the extra cost over the Alto TS Sub 12?

Thanks

• Members

The DXR8's are crazy loud. I'm a proud owner. I matched them with a great deal on the Yamaha DXS12, not b/c it's the biggest kid on the block, but the weight and sound and price all add up. One thing about the DXR8's - they don't have the built in monitor angle. That said, they'd make amazing side fills if I ever upgrade. There's also the black 2x4 under the cab trick, too :) 10's are just a tiny bit more money, so if you can swing the 100 bucks and monitor wedges are of interest to you, then go for the 10's. If every dollar counts, believe me - there's not any perceptible sound difference btwn the 8 and 10's... The dsp is miraculous in these little 8's

*Haven't heard the tiny EV's - the Live X 18" sub is a terrific value, though... It's really short on features, but it hits hard. Really light weight for a sub, too. I went with the Yamaha sub for price and connectivity options.

• Members

So, to summarise,

Q1: Will the DXR8's be significantly louder than the ZXa1's?

Q2: Will the ZXa1-Sub be worth the extra cost over the Alto TS Sub 12?

Thanks

A1: Maybe, but I think you will need to listen to both to be sure they are enough speaker for YOUR needs.

A2: Maybe, but I think you will need to listen to both to be sure they are enough speaker for YOUR needs.

• Members

A1: Maybe, but I think you will need to listen to both to be sure they are enough speaker for YOUR needs.

A2: Maybe, but I think you will need to listen to both to be sure they are enough speaker for YOUR needs.

You know, you're absolutely right. I live in Aberdeen and we have no music shops but I'll take a trip to Glasgow some time soon (approx 2.5 hour drive) and check out some of these speakers in person.

• Members

Just realised my previous post could sound sarcastic depending on how you read it. That was not the intention. I do intend to take a trip to the store in glasgow. They stock qsc and yamaha, but not ev. Should still give me an idea of what's out there. They also stock the Bose L1

• Members

Just realised my previous post could sound sarcastic depending on how you read it. That was not the intention. I do intend to take a trip to the store in glasgow. They stock qsc and yamaha, but not ev. Should still give me an idea of what's out there. They also stock the Bose L1

That is absolutely what you should do. There are lots of great people here to get you on the right track, but you should always give a listen to speakers before you purchase them if it is at all possible. You wouldn't buy a car without driving it would you? :)

• Members

No worries, if you are looking into something that may or may not work for your needs, it's well worth taking the time to learn for yourself and see what your options are. There's no correct answer from us, you have to decide for yourself.

Archived