New Powered Speaker Advice

• Members

LOL. Laughter is good for the soul, and you guys have given me some great soul food today ;)

@Mutha Goose,

Sounds like an excellent setup. So far, I have survived with only my DSR112's over the XLF's. My drummer has a pair of CVA118's as well that we could conceivably use (we setup this rig in his finished basement and shook the ceiling so hard it looked like it was snowing in the room ;) ).

I figured the same thing. I could likely play with 4 subs in larger areas with 2 tops, and anything bigger than that I would likely call a local sound pro for the night ;) As with you, these are few and far between. Certainly not worth it for me to have gear capable of such coverage just hanging around (and waiting for my wife to decide I don't need them anymore ;) ).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We are finally going to upgrade our PA to active speakers and subs. We have a $4k maximum budget. We have been looking at the QSC K series. We can get a pair of K12's and a pair of Ksubs for about $3,800. We have also looked at the EV Live X stuff which is about $1k less and would afford us to upgrade to iem as well.

What else should we be looking at? Again our max budget is $4k. Your suggestions are appreciated!

OFR, I personally like the K series line. I have a pair of K10's that get used as mains and monitors depending on the gig. I have some boxes that cost more than double of these and do sound better but one is in the shop after 4 shows. The K10's have never failed me for about two years now. I get a good enough sound out of them that everyone is pleased. Vocals are clear and stand out even in loud environments.

Subs? I would definitely take the KW181 over the Ksub. If the venue was small and didn't require much bottom then the K sub may work. Something like a coffee shop, solo act singing to tracks or maybe using a guitar or keys.

Archived