Did my first outdoor festival with the StudioLive today...

• Members

...and I learned a lot! The festival was for an Indian reservation in Ponca City, OK.

First thing, you can't see a damn thing if your board is outside in the sun. NOTHING! lol... and I didn't bring a canopy or anything to give myself some shade. They also had no chairs there. You had to bring your own. I won't ever make that mistake again.

It was also sooooo freagin' hot outside today. The event was from 11am - 4pm. I set-up this morning at 9am. We had 3 bands playing. Sound was great. Compliments all around, but I was so hot. I drank plenty of fluids all day, but seemed like I just couldn't get enough. Then when I was loading up at the end, I almost passed out. I was drenched in sweat. It was right after I put the first Yorkville LS800P in the trailer, that I almost blacked out and was seeing stars. I took my shirt off, poured water on my head and just lied down for about 10 mins. That helped a lot, then I was able to finish the load/out.

I have another outdoor festival to do in Fort Smith, AR tomorrow. It will last for 2 days, Fri and Sat. We're supposed to have 5 bands at this one. You best believe I won't forget to take my canopy for shade and a folding chair to sit in tomorrow.

All in all, it was a great experience. To see what was going on with the StudioLive, I had to cup my hands over the meters and put my face about an inch away from the board to see what was going on.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Right as the last band was playing their last song, one of my subs went out. The speaker didn't blow. The sub just shut off. So I turned the power button to the off position and just let it sit for awhile. I was hoping that it just shut itself off because it was so extremely hot today. After about 15 minutes, I turned the power back on and the sub came back on. So I am assuming that's what happened. Anyone else with a Yorkville sub experience that before?

• Members

I've got a 2 day small festival coming up, using my SL24.4.2

I'm going to set it up in my trailer. I should be protected from the elements, & have some shade as well. It has a side door which will be open to help with airflow. I did a similar gig, set up in a trailer as well. It worked quite well, no problems with some rain showers that came & went...

• Members

Twostone,

I'm not exactly sure where the gig is tomorrow. I'll know the exact location in the morning. As soon as I find that out, I'll post it in here before I hit the road. Would be cool if you come out and we can meet in person. :)

Abzurd,

Yeah, funny thing about learning things the hard way. You never forget so you don't make those mistakes in the future. lol

StratGuy,

That's a good idea man! My trailer doesn't have side doors so there wouldn't have been any ventillation for me to do that. They had a generator out there. The SL performed flawlessly. No power issues at all. Good luck on your gig!

• Members

My first gig out was on a 90* day (and in Kentucky, that's hot lol) Luckily, I did have a canopy available. Three bands, and was running my EV's. Learned real fast, black speakers in direct sunlight (amp panels were facing west) was not a good combo. Luckily one of the bands "donated" use of their guitar cases to cover the panels, and had no problems. The boards are a b*tch to see in the sun, but I think when I build my case, I'm going to make a cheap cloth shield for it. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with those kinds of problems, lol, and congrats on your first.

• Members

Funny, I got beat up pretty badly on a forum for a line of instrument amps that used very bright LEDs so that they COULD be seen in the sun or on a brightly lit stage!!! They called them retna searing LEDs. Obviously those folks have never been in the position of being unable to see a display at just the wrong time. ;) Of course the real pros totally got it, but the wankers just couldn't understand why they were so bright... they were blinding in their bedrooms.

• Members

Wrongnote,

It's a Juneteenth festival. I don't have the exact location yet. I'll know in the morning.

DJIceman,

Thanks man! Yeah, it was well over 90* and close to 100* today. I am going to be better prepared tomorrow though.

That's why I'll probably stick to the northern half of the country for permanent residency, Lol. Although that shade cover idea for the Presonus would be nice. A collapseable shade made of thin aluminum struts to cover the board and provide a shade...mount inside the case perhaps? Hmmm......

• Members

Twostone,

I'm not exactly sure where the gig is tomorrow. I'll know the exact location in the morning. As soon as I find that out, I'll post it in here before I hit the road. Would be cool if you come out and we can meet in person.
:)

Abzurd,

Yeah, funny thing about learning things the hard way. You never forget so you don't make those mistakes in the future. lol

StratGuy,

That's a good idea man! My trailer doesn't have side doors so there wouldn't have been any ventillation for me to do that. They had a generator out there. The SL performed flawlessly. No power issues at all. Good luck on your gig!

Yea I met a couple of other forum members here to.

great people I might add and one own a SL mixer himself.

• Members

Twostone,

I'm not exactly sure where the gig is tomorrow. I'll know the exact location in the morning. As soon as I find that out, I'll post it in here before I hit the road. Would be cool if you come out and we can meet in person.
:)

Abzurd,

StratGuy,

Yea I met a couple of other forum members here to in person.

great people I might add and one own a SL mixer himself.

• Members

Funny, I got beat up pretty badly on a forum for a line of instrument amps that used very bright LEDs so that they COULD be seen in the sun or on a brightly lit stage!!! They called them retna searing LEDs. Obviously those folks have never been in the position of being unable to see a display at just the wrong time.
;)
Of course the real pros totally got it, but the wankers just couldn't understand why they were so bright... they were blinding in their bedrooms.

Yep. I'm planning my guitar gear for the summer shows I'll be playing, and all the fancy digital stuff that I sometimes use in nightclubs will not be part of my summer daytime gigs. Found out the hard way many years ago. Sunlight plus your average LED equals no LED to speak of.

That's also part of the reason I won't/can't switch to a Studiolive - my tired old eyes in adverse light conditions just wouldn't cut it - glasses on, glasses off, glasses on.....

BTW to the OP, if you were drinking a whole lot of water and sweating profusely, you might have been depleting your sodium levels - that can cause issues similar to the ones you mentioned AFAIK.

• Members

A tip for outdoor gigs and LED displays. Build yourself a shroud. Simple cardboard will work. Or go hit Home Depot and buy those white plastic corrugated sign boards. Make yourself a shroud that's basically a funnel to look down into your display. Remember how the origins of photography required the photographer to put his head under the cloth as he took the photo? Or when the football referee has to review a play and he crams his face against that rectangular opening to see the screen?

Paint the inside of it flat black, and make the opening just large enough for you to look down into. Not necessarily cramming your face against it, unless you prefer that.

• Members

...I'm going to set it up in my trailer...

Just a heads up; this can create some very interesting audio anamolies. It may not sound the same inside the trailer as it does outside it. Be careful to spend some time outside the trailer before and after adjustments.

I keep a large canopy and 4 cinder blocks for festivals/outdoor shows. It can still be difficult to read the display, but not impossible.

• Members

Mixing inside a 6 x12 (or smaller) five sided box doesn't sound like a good idea. How did it sound in there?

It wasn't too bad. It's going to be more of a base. A place to set up out of the elements, with some shade.

Set the gains and then I'll mix remotely via iPad...

• Members

Got it! I didn't put together StudioLive and an iPad (again) as an option for this until it was you mentioned it. How is the iPad in direct sunlight? I don't think I've ever used one outside. Oh, and a word to the wise for those thinking about mixing in a trailer; make sure you shore up/support the back end. I was mixing monitors for a small stage on a small rack mounted Mix Wiz Mon in back half of a trailer, mostly no one thought to bring a second canopy. By the time we loaded the gear in the back half and someone had removed enough gear from the front half, by the time I hauled my 190lb carcass into it I almost lost everything as the trailer tipped and it started to roll out the back. Except for a couple broken jacks at the patch panel (cut, stripped and tied directly to the amp) everything was fine. Once again cinder blocks saved the day. Is it just me or are those things everywhere? Must be naturally occurring indigenous cinder blocks!

• Members

On the dehydration topic, plain water is better than nothing, but gatorade or similar electrolyte drinks are the best at retaining hydration. If you only have water, eat some pretzels or other salty foods. You also want to keep out of the direct sun and as much heat as possible to prevent heat stroke. (A plain white canopy is best for heat rejection.) I would guess that you were experiencing a combination of effects.

• Members

That's a HUGE tip!! Anytime I've used my trailer so far it's been attached to my truck. This will be the first time using it without the truck, so I'll have to remember to bring a couple 1'x1' squares of plywood to drop the rear legs down onto to prevent the trailer from possibly tipping forward when I'm in it.

:thu:

Archived