Double Blind Tests of Cable

• Members
Ayup. I remember that one distinctly, as that's when I cancelled my subscription to GP. I wrote the editor when I did telling them they'd lost all credibility when they start writing snake oil copy as reviews. Apparently facts and science don't hold much water there these days.

:thu:

• Members

Apparently facts and science don't hold much water there these days.

Facts and science seem to be held in low esteem in many quarters these days. Not a high-water mark for the human race right now in this regard. That many musicians and/or the editors at GP aren't exempt from this phenomenon isn't all that surprising.

• Members

Facts and science seem to be held in low esteem in many quarters these days. Not a high-water mark for the human race right now in this regard. That many musicians and/or the editors at GP aren't exempt from this phenomenon isn't all that surprising.

True dat.. Especially on the nightly news. Pick any channel. They're more about sensationalism, espousing bull{censored} as facts and intentional obfuscation of the real issues that I can barely tolerate watching it. Most days I get my weather off the phone.

I do however, REALLY like the direction HBO's "The Newsroom" is taking with their storyline. They're pulling the sheets on that {censored}, and getting (not surprisingly) very poor reviews from the rest of the media for doing so. The 10 minute rant at the start of the show opener and last night's episode in particular were great rallying cries as to what's wrong with the "news" media in general these days. We've eschewed facts for advertising revenue. I've always preferred NPR and BBC1 for news because they aren't in bed with their advertisers and are far more objective as a result. Again, not surprising that there's a huge motion afoot to remove funding from the one source of news in this country that ISN'T beholden to lobbyists and huge corporations with unlimited spending power to force their view of the world down our collective throats. Sorry to wax politic..

Archived