Who else is getting the Digitech Trio?

LikesLoomis

• Members

I kind of agree, but here in the UK pubs are bound by the fact that many of them are not allowed a band but can have up to two people playing, so a drum or drum bass is useful. My point is that adding a memory wouldn't have spoiled it for those that want to use it for other means, but would have brought us live performers into the equation also.....................maybe I'm being daft, but seemed an obvious move for me!

• Members

I got one and it is great fun to practice with. I would use it in a live gig if I was providing background music in a restaurant. You don't always get what you are shooting for but it is great at providing ideas on how to do a piece differently. Also have used it to record some stuff when I need a quick starting point.

• Members

"Beats trying to sit and program a drum pattern and bass pattern" Well: no. Exactly not.

When you program, you are at least involved in contemplation and attempting to reach some sort of musical goal that exists in your imagination. When you have a programmer choose back up patterns, you're abandoning that. Which makes the Trio as relevant as the pre-programmed patterns on a Casio keyboard.

It's not about being mechanized; it's about who's imagination is at play.

• Members
"Beats trying to sit and program a drum pattern and bass pattern" Well: no. Exactly not.

When you program, you are at least involved in contemplation and attempting to reach some sort of musical goal that exists in your imagination. When you have a programmer choose back up patterns, you're abandoning that. Which makes the Trio as relevant as the pre-programmed patterns on a Casio keyboard.

I really like this analogy, because it cuts another way. If you follow this logic you are jamming with every person who had a hand in creating the patterns in TRIO, including me. So you are jamming with all of the actual drummers and bassists we hired to create patterns and samples, all the engineers who are also guitarists, all of the guitarists like myself and Billy, every intern who contributed to honing patterns, and on and on.

Come jam with us Danhedonia, for ever, and ever...

• Members

I really like this analogy, because it cuts another way. If you follow this logic you are jamming with every person who had a hand in creating the patterns in TRIO, including me. So you are jamming with all of the actual drummers and bassists we hired to create patterns and samples, all the engineers who are also guitarists, all of the guitarists like myself and Billy, every intern who contributed to honing patterns, and on and on.

Come jam with us Danhedonia, for ever, and ever...

you guys keep playing the same thing over and over though

Programming is more of a left-brain activity... you're dealing with a mouse, and menus and grids and dots on that grid... while playing - and especially composing - music is far more right-brain in nature. Every time you have to switch from one to the other, it slows down the creative process. At least it does for me. Programming is fine once the song is written and you want to get specific about the exact nature of the drums and bass part, but then again, why not just use the real things at that point? At least I'd rather do so - but I have a drum kit, and a bass, and bass amps, and a place where I can record them... but when I'm writing, I prefer to limit the "engineering" as much as I can and focus on playing and coming up with ideas. Sometimes gear can help facilitate that, but the deeper I have to dig in to the minutiae of programming the gear, the less writing and composing I tend to get done.

When you sit down and jam with some friends, you're not always dictating the precise things that they're going to play. You may say, hey, let's jam over this rock riff at this tempo, in this key... but unless you're a jam session dictator, they're going to contribute their own ideas and parts, and working with the Trio is somewhat analogous to that. True, you can't really say - that's cool, but simplify it a bit and hit the 7th on the third beat of bar 1 of the progression... but that's not really the point. As has already been said, the Trio is not a live performance tool, nor is it really going to replace live musicians at a jam - if you have access to other musicians, of course you're most likely going to prefer to work with them instead... but chances are you don't have them at your beck and call 24/7. What the Trio does is give you something that's quick and easy to use that gives you "drums and bass" to play over the top of that you have a degree of control over, and that you can use at any time the inspiration to jam, practice, or compose hits you - even if the idea strikes you at 3AM and the wife and kids - and your bandmates - are all asleep.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just picked up this pedal yesterday. IMO, the foot switch should come in the box (I purchased one seperately) as it really allows you to actively use the functionality of the pedal.

While I would never use this for a live performance, I am pretty impressed with what it does. Instead of just plugging in to my amp, I can pull up a tab online, learn it real quick, teach it to the Trio, and then jam out in my music room. This thing is fun, and adds the bass and drum elements when my friends are unavailable to rock out.

Also looking forward to inviting another guitar player over, and while they play guitar with the trio, I can jam on the blues harp, slide guitar, ukulele, etc...

The audio clips used are not the highest quality I have heard (I have a drum kit program in my Sonar X3 that does sound much better) however, for my purposes, it's amazingly convienent to strum a few chords, kick a switch a few times, and you have good enough drums and bass to shred on your guitar.

I contacted Digitech about teaching the Trio with other instruments, and they said guitar and keyboards work best, but other instruments (harmonica through custom Shure bullet, ukulele, flute through mic) would be less reliable, or would not work. Gotta at least try to see how things go.

Overall, this thing is fun, and since I got it at a used price, I think it's totally worth it for my music room.

The Trio+ is looking tempting, lol.

• Members
You essentially have to do the same thing when you use a looper pedal - you have to play the part you want looped' date=' right? As I understand it, with this, you play the chord progression and it bases its output on that. It looks like you could have it playing along with you pretty quickly, but I don't think it's likely that it would be a suitable substitute for a sequencer or a backing track if that's what you need.[/quote']

No intention to derail the thread but, speaking of loopers, I met this guy on the weekend at our summer music festival. He was here with one band, filled in with a second band and did a solo set with a looper...

[video=youtube;4m5Qk6SBaPU]

He made a show out of playing the bits into the looper and he kept the audience riveted to his performance.

• Members

I've been playing around with Apple's Music Memos app on the iPad. It is similar to what Trio does - which shows that this technology is available now and we can expect more refined versions in the near future.

[video=youtube;pSDCbXGIovM]

No intention to derail the thread but, speaking of loopers, I met this guy on the weekend at our summer music festival. He was here with one band, filled in with a second band and did a solo set with a looper...

[video=youtube;4m5Qk6SBaPU]

He made a show out of playing the bits into the looper and he kept the audience riveted to his performance.

I saw Julian Coryell open for Aimee Mann once (Lost In Space tour?) and he did the opening set with a looper in a similar way and he was totally entertaining. He also played in Aimee's band as the lead guitarist. Heck of a player and a really nice guy too.

Phil Keaggy is another guy who can totally entertain an audience with just a guitar and a looper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Man, I am more excited for this pedal than any other I can remember.

Anyone else getting one?

I bought one a year ago. It has taken a while to figure out all of the tricks, traps and shortcomings, but, it's a great pedal overall and quite entertaining when I'm out of ideas or just need to warm up without a band around.

Archived