New Pro Audio videos - following my work as a career audio guy. Thought you all might enjoy taking a look.

• Members

Ditto to the OP to keep posting... and please stick around the forums, you can never have too many minds with knowledge on this stuff available to help those that do not.

This thread does however remind me though of an 80's movie where some dude is taking his college communications course final (ya' know... where you had three of four hours to fill as many blue books as you needed to adequately capture all of your vast knowledge on a topic)... and the instructions the professor gave the class were, "Using everything that you learned in this course, describe in detail the key to effective communication". The protagonist writes quickly in his blue book, hands it to the professor, and walks out. The professor reads what he wrote... "Brevity."

• Members

I really hate "instructional videos" in general, I'd much rather read it in words - perhaps with a short video or two when necessary to illustrate a point. OTOH I do understand there is a whole younger generation(s) that can't really understand the written word as they were raised on video games :facepalm: . BTW if one wanted to be good at these sorts of videos I highly recommend they study how the Khan Academy ones are paced :) .

• Members

I do get a lot of younger folks visiting my blog, sending in e-mails and letting me know what they are up to in various audio schools around the country... so all hope has not been lost for the written word.

My goal is more to share what I do with those who are interested (not necessarily be a traditional instructional video source)... I tend to learn visually and by seeing real world applications, so hopefully others will continue to find something useful in what I do.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Members

I wish there was an instructional video out there that could tell me how to know which feedback frequency was squealing, without using an RTA.

I was EQing conga mics the other day in an environment where I am running very close to the edge (my basement, with a low ceiling and loud rock band). One of the mics was giving me grief, and I said to the player, "You know, if I actually knew what I was doing, I could just reach over to the EQ, pull down one slider, like this, and this BS would stop" .. Then I reached over, grabbed one slider at random (500Hz FWIW) and pulled it down. And it was the right one!

Maybe I've been trying too hard.

Maybe I should write frequencies on my organ.

Wes

• CMS Author

Kudo's for handling our criticism/commentary like a mature adult. Running sound is somewhat analogous to piloting a plane...most of the flight is going to be uneventful, even boring. You're not getting paid for that...you earn your money by staying calm and handling problems efficiently. If how some guys handle any criticism here is indicative of how they'll react behind a console, a lot of shows are in a lot of trouble.

• Members
.. Then I reached over, grabbed one slider at random (500Hz FWIW) and pulled it down. And it was the right one!

Maybe I've been trying too hard.

I found over the years, that much like playing an instrument, you've just got to work at it. It's really very similar to ear training for musicians... so perhaps writing the frequencies on your organ could help you start to reference feedback in a way your already doing when you're playing music.

I'd bet you'll be surprised at how easy it can become once you get a familiar point of reference in mind.

• Members
Kudo's for handling our criticism/commentary like a mature adult. Running sound is somewhat analogous to piloting a plane...most of the flight is going to be uneventful' date=' even boring. You're not getting paid for that...you earn your money by staying calm and handling problems efficiently. If how some guys handle any criticism here is indicative of how they'll react behind a console, a lot of shows are in a lot of trouble.[/quote']

Thanks Craig, I think you are absolutely correct with the analogy. Doing audio for a living you get used to your work being judged openly, and if you're ignoring criticism, you're going to have a really tough time. I'm always looking to learn something new, I try to stay open minded, try to understand what people are actually saying when they make suggestions, rather then let it damage my ego.

I'm interested in sharing any knowledge and experiences I've had, with anyone who might be interested. I try to make videos and write posts that I think might have been helpful or interesting to me when I was learning. Hopefully I'll be able to make them more interesting as I go.

Here's my latest video, open to comments and suggestions.

• Members
Hey that video was pretty good :)

Thanks! I've just done another one in response to a suggestion to cover advancing new work as a freelancer. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts & how everyone else approaches booking new work.

Archived