Will we see next Yamaha Motif successor in 2015?

zzzxtreme

• Members
Been there as well, 10 years passed since the introduction of Yamaha MC7L and none of its control/GUI concepts passed down to Motif X or Tyros/Clavinova.

Sometimes good ideas get introduced too soon before the market is really ready for them. What? Just because something else didn't happen 10 years ago tells us what will happen next year or the year after? That doesn't make any sense.

Don't bet against the future.

But if one really wants that old-style analog stuff, there's plenty of that coming out as well. The new Prophet 6 looks fun.

• Members
Sometimes good ideas get introduced too soon before the market is really ready for them.
Korg OASYS keyboard was made available the same year, 2005. Korg Triton has been available since 1999. Not to mention Roland V-Synth, Fantom-G and FA. All of these indicate the direction Yamaha was not interested to follow during the last 15 years.

Just because something else didn't happen 10 years ago tells us what will happen next year or the year after? That doesn't make any sense.
No. You are wrong to assume that nothing happened. At least three things happened: 1) a very innovative control concept was introduced based on a combination of colored physical control knobs and colored GUI screens on a large touch-screen LCD, 2) it eventually spread to the entirety both cheap and expensive digital mixing consoles, and 3) it didn't reach any digital music keyboard in spite of it's immediately apparent usefulness for realtime control and editing of synthesis parameters. We are instead given cheap replicas of 40-year old 6-voice analogue gear, and integrated circuits with miniature vacuum tube on-die. You asked for it, didn't you?

What this maybe tells us is that Yamaha and Roland are clearly not interested in making full-featured all-in-one integrated music workstation/DAW for $3500 anymore, when they can instead sell you a $3500 synthesizer, a $5000 digital mixer and a $1000 multitrack recorder.

I will change my mind when I see the channel edit surface of the Yamaha CS-10R console from a $30000 RIVAGE PM10 system, with its multiple LCD displays, endless rotaty knobs and strips LED indicators, trickle down to a Yamaha music workstation for US $3500.

PCH-CS-R10_Front_detail.jpg(Source: http://www.soundlightup.com/news/yam...vage-pm10.html)

Interesting to see how they would take advantage of Steinberg's acquisition to improve on the Motif
I am happy to report to you that Steinberg acquisition in 2004 so far had exaclty zero effect on the inner workings of the Motif line - except for completely abandoning the mLAN protocol and related products.

Perhaps, they could add an ADAT port?
Better bring back CD burners :) ADAT Lightpipe is dead for like 12 years, today's multichannel audio protocols are all LAN-based - DANTE, MADI, REAC and TWINLANE, to name a few.

• Members

wow that RIVAGE looks delicious. Other manufacturers moving to big screen LCDs. If Yamaha choose to remain non-touch screen (but brighter OLED display) , with the multiple LCD displays like RIVAGE, I think many would prefer that, I know I myself would.

ADAT dead? hmmm don't know. Focusrite, Steinberg (new UR series), Behringer new interfaces all have A-DAT for expansion. Aren't A-DAT Mic-Pres cheap and more easily available? I haven't own any A-DAT device except Alesis QS7 from last millenium

Ability to expand the motif for extra simultaneous input/recording would be a huge advantage. Put in some steinberg tech in it. Put in some of that Yamaha's Rupert Neve VCM.

Here in Malaysia, Roland conquers the non-pro market (Roland Junos). Korg and Yamaha - workstations for pros. Yamaha & Roland - digital pianos. Pros here are itching to spend their allocated budget for a new workstation, and no one is buying the Jupiter

-Multiple displays

-more advanced audio interface

-more advanced VCMs (rupert neve/etc..)

-horizontal touch (like in the new electone). (usage example:Press harder for vibrato, slide left/right for pitch)

-hybrid piano engine like in their high end CP series

-usb cd-burner support

-ability to fully control remotely

-VL Engine ? their new electone has it

Demo of the new Electone

[YOUTUBE]QSbhTlYYqsE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
ADAT dead? hmmm don't know. Focusrite' date=' Steinberg (new UR series), Behringer new interfaces all have A-DAT for expansion. Aren't A-DAT Mic-Pres cheap and more easily available? I haven't own any A-DAT device except Alesis QS7 from last millenium[/quote'] Exactly, the last keyboard with an ADAT Lightpipe was Alesis Fusion HD (which was pulled off-market before they could make a bug-free working OS). The few remaining products exist solely for the purpose of archival transfers from ADAT tape recorders.

-VL Engine ? their new electone has it

Here's Yamaha new electone preset demo, showcasing the usual AWM+Articulation, and also the VL Engine

new motif will highly have these sounds too

http://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/el-organs/electone_station/els-02/

http://dennis-yamaha.blogspot.ru/2014/06/new-yamaha-stagea-electone-els-02-series.html

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/result.php?div_code=&model=STAGEA

Didn't know that. I am very delighted that Yamaha found a way to recycle their 25-year old monophonic virtual-acoustic VLSI chip and use it in their $15000 dual-manual arranger keyboards Electone Stagea ELS-01C (2008) and ELS-02C (2014). A very clever way to increase the asking price by another $3000 using a $50 component.

Archived