Hi My names JR and I'm a micaholic

• Members

I can't stop Ahhhhhhhh!

OK this week I bought a pair of prodipe SDCs (new). I've only listened to them to check them out for working condition (hard to tell but they sounded consistent and didn't suck in any obvious way). The only reason I bought them was I was so impressed with their dynamics (bang for buck), I thought I'd try their condensers. I bought the PAIR NEW for $35 (free shipping).

I also got a great deal on 2 CAD condensers an E60 and an E70. It is sold as the Al Dimeola pack (I'd guess He's endorsed). I have used (and already own) an E70 on an acoustic guitar and was really inpressed. I bought BOTH mics NEW for $99 (free shipping). I can't wait to try the E60 and hear what it does. I think CAD's Equitec mics are a great bargain.

I just can't turn down a great deal.

I'M DONE!!! I'm swearing off any more purchases until I at least find a use for the ones I have :-).

• Members

Hi, I'm Pete (hi Pete)...

Last month I bought on eBay a superlux bass drum mic that also came with an audio f12, 2 audio f10s, 2 peavey sdc's and a superlux snare mic.

Then last week I bought another audio f10 because having only 2 Tom mics seemed stupid...

Where is the black coffee?

• Members

Must be the week of the microphone. Last week was mine. I didn't NEED any more mics but I couldn't resist the temptation.

SM86 - I love these mics. A guy I know was selling one in near new condition, used three times and didn't work for him. $120 delivered

AT3525 - Not my favorite mic, but it was excellent condition with shock mount for $75. Hard to go wrong, even if I have to look for a good use for it.

Heil PR40 - Never tried one but everyone I trust says they are great mics, especially for kick or bass. They aren't cheap and this was MINT for $175.

Earthworks SR71 - I like all things Earthworks. They make great mics. This is an older mic, but looked great. Came in hard shell travel case with windscreen. It was 3AM in the morning and I was on eBay. I don't normally buy mics this expensive for live sound. Since it was 3AM when this came up as nearing the end of bidding, there weren't many folks to compete with, exactly one bid was placed. I pulled the trigger and got it for $156 shipped. That is almost unheard of for any Earthworks so I am thrilled with this one. Looked to be in very good shape.

Only the 86 has come in so far, and it was so new looking that I asked the seller if it was really EVER used since it didn't have a mark anywhere. It is mint. I can never have too many of these (OK, I can but I am not near that point yet....)

I will not buy another mic.

Yea right.....

• Members
SM86 - I love these mics.

They are nice :) but I'm trying to limit myself to all EV. I did pick up four PL84's (hopefully similar to the SM86 ?) on sale for $156 total a year ago but haven't had a chance to use them yet :freak: - guess that makes me at least an honorary micaholic :lol: ?. I just picked up a PL80c (beige) for $70 on sale, I already had three PL80a's (silver) and four N/D767a's :cool:.

• Members

Just as you are going all EV, I am almost an Audix house. I truly like them and have 10 of the D series and 8 of the OM series. I just find that sometimes I get an instrument that could benefit from something I don't have covered well (like a sax or a harmonica) or that voice where an OM5 or OM6 just aren't working. I decided to stock a few different specimens for those times. They won't come out for rock shows, but for jazz or R&B shows I needed a few different things to toss up and try.

But just to show you I like your style, all my top cabs and 80% of my wedges are EV. ;-)

• Members
Just as you are going all EV, I am almost an Audix house. I truly like them and have 10 of the D series and 8 of the OM series. I just find that sometimes I get an instrument that could benefit from something I don't have covered well (like a sax or a harmonica) or that voice where an OM5 or OM6 just aren't working. I decided to stock a few different specimens for those times. They won't come out for rock shows, but for jazz or R&B shows I needed a few different things to toss up and try.

But just to show you I like your style, all my top cabs and 80% of my wedges are EV. ;-)

AUDIX +1 Audix I5...great instrument mic

• Members

They are nice
:)
but I'm trying to limit myself to all EV. I did pick up four PL84's (hopefully similar to the SM86 ?) on sale for $156 total a year ago but haven't had a chance to use them yet
:freak:
- guess that makes me at least an honorary micaholic
:lol:
?. I just picked up a PL80c (beige) for $70 on sale, I already had three PL80a's (silver) and four N/D767a's
:cool:

Geeesh !!!! Don't get me started. I'm getting the feeling I'm overdue for another EV mic "fix" :cop: I'm hoping some of those PL80C's will still be available by early December. The vendors don't ship to Canada, so I usually have them shipped to my girlfriends' place in Florida, and she in turn, ships them to me, but she doesn't go to Florida 'til the first week of December.

Last year alone, I ordered an N/D 868, two more N/D 767a's, three N/D 267a's, two PL-24s, two PL-44's, three PL-84's, another PL-33, and four more PL-35's. I already had an N/D 767a, four PL-35's, a PL-33, and a pair of PL-37's. Somebody even gave me an old rusted-out PL-95, which I've yet to try. It's in need of some pretty serious TLC.

• Members

^ HaHa. When MF had EV drum mic sets on closeout I bought two of the "three tom mics plus kick mic" sets for $100 each.

Funny story, a few weeks back I was doing a big outdoor concert and only put a kick mic and overhead on the drums (not hard rock, no hole in kick) and the drummer's friends were telling him it was the best he ever sounded. He wanted to know what I was using for an overhead and I just told him it was a "SM57 clone" - I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a tom mic from my old Nady set (a $30 DM70). I've used those on guitar amps and the Nady DM80 kick mic on bass cabs and been pleased enough with the results :) .

• Members

Before using the Audix F12 on kick I did a couple festivals, I ended up with 2x 57's on stands (SR and SL guitar mics) and an F12 on a stand as a bass amp mic. Worked pretty well for a bass amp mic too. I've used the EWI tom mics as guitar amp mics in a pinch and they're pretty good at it too. For the price you could almost leave the mic attached to the stand...

• Members
If it hasn't been posted already -
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-pl80a-buy-one-get-two-free
:love:

That's how I got my first three last year. I used them this evening, they really do sound great :love: as do the PL series drum mics I also used. At this point four PL80's, four PL84 condensers and four N/D767a's is all I need for vocal mics. I really should sell off the one SM58 I have - I'm not sure if I ever used it or not :facepalm:.

• Members

That's how I got my first three last year. I used them this evening, they really do sound great
:love:
as do the PL series drum mics I also used. At this point four PL80's, four PL84 condensers and four N/D767a's is all I need for vocal mics. I really should sell off the one SM58 I have - I'm not sure if I ever used it or not
:facepalm:

Yeah, I missed that sale by a few weeks somehow. Odd thing was, when I called to order they didn't just say I missed the sale - they insisted they had no record of ever having such a sale ! Twighlight Zone.

Great mics though. Back in the 80's with the first generation issue - that's all we used for quite a while. I remember once we compared it side by side with a Sennheiser MD441 and were all impressed at how very close they sounded.

• Members

Were those Peavey SDCs the PBM48? If so, you got some good mics.

No BUT I had a pair that I recently sold to a guy in Canada for a song (which I now regret). I agree the xxx48 Peavey SDC is a pretty good mic. They can be found cheap and they sound great Compare FI to an AKG C1000. Not a bad mic but used they go for around $100 The Peavey mic in question IMHO sound MUCH better and can be had for around $60.

OK we used the Prodipe A1 condensers as overheads on a group called the gourds (pretty good new/bluegrass group). Their engineer was pleased and in monitor world, I cue'd them up and they really sounded pretty good. They are now an unofficial part of my theatre's mic closet.

I got the CAD E60 & E70 today and I'm ASTATIC (small joke about CAD's lineage). I really like these mics a lot, I definitly need to find a use for them. I think I know a guy who does symphony work from time to time and I'm going to ask him to try them out. I think he'll be duly impressed. The E70's sound to me to be almost ruler flat (ideal for classical acoustic work - ignore my signature line for a moment :-). The E60 sonnds pretty good as well. A bit darker. I'm thinking they might work well on an overly bright guitar amp (just the first thing that came to mind).

Archived