slighty OT - equipment problem

• Members

been having an issue with one of my recording interfaces - a tascam fw-1804. for quite some time now when i powered this up it made a ascending or descending whine/noise/buzz when powered up and depending on which position the phantom power switch was. after a while it would stop and function fine. leaving powered up 24/7 meant i rarely had issue.

recently moved (home) and had all gear shut off for 60 days and when i hooked this thing back up the noise never stops. i can change the pitch of the noise slightly by changing the clock speed. phantom power switch changes ascending/descedning pitch of the noise when first powers up but then noise sustains even pitch.

its a real buzzy nasty sound.

done some extensive searches in google and it looks like the power supply capacitors may be an issue but not sure if the issue is in the external supply or internal distribution (?)

hate to lose $600 on this thing, its otherwise been very useful. i have two other interfaces out and about that live in road cases so its not the end of the world but would like to have this unit be functional. it works fine besides the loud noise.

this has been a tough move. i'm so frustrated with everything right now i have been considering selling everything and not doing music anymore at all

• Members

What limited experience I've had with Tascam customer service / tech support, I doubt they would be much help. I had a problem with a CD recording unit about 2 years ago and was not impressed. Ultimately they (the school) ended up buying a new unit.

Archived