White MIK electric guitar...but, exactly what "is it" ?

Buttcrust

• Members
for a cheapie' date=' it is actually a nice, little electric guitar...simple, sounds great with a bit of reverb/echo[/quote']

Although I am a big proponent of fine (er expensive) instruments, I enjoy a cheapie as well. I have an old Harmony full hollow 335-type that I ADORE looking at and playing. Also have a pretty cheap Hamer Echotone I am becoming fond of.

I typically play the Harmony through a very cheap red Guitar Research amp...and I feel this makes me a better guitar player. It doesn;t let me use all the tricks of the trade. It makes me play straight...a clean sound with maybe a touch of reverb. Talk about a stripped down sound! At that point, it becomes very zen like. Very pure.

I enjoy it every bit as much as say a Jem through a full Marshall stack.

• Members

Oh come on, I've had so many MIJ guitars from the "old days" that weren't even close to being all that. Started out on a Teisco Strat copy back in the 60's that certainly wasn't anything special. Had an MIJ Squier that had the highest frets I've ever seen and buzzed all over the neck because it wouldn't stay set up. My friend has an MIJ Fender Strat that is just the brightest shrill guitar I've ever heard - terrible Strat. Had an El Degas Tele that was a total piece of crap with the neck coming in too low to the body. Another friend had the Crestwood, yawn and the Univox Ripper whose frets just wore out in no time. Best MIJ for me was an Aria Pro II RS Bobcat - sounds good, plays good but the frets must not have been the best quality because had to dress because of pitting. Actually had more luck with the old acoustics (Aspen, Alvarez) than the electrics.

In comparison, I've got a Korean made Washburn P290 and a Carlos Robelli 335 copy that are damn near perfect (particularly the 335).

The truth is that time and nostalgia make everything better and that's what I was mainly referring to with the reference. (And I'm well aware that Japan makes some contemporary instruments that are topshelf and at topshelf prices so let's not turn this into a pissing contest.) I've got some nice instruments, mostly MIA (five), and that Korean made CR 335 copy takes a back seat to none of them.

I'm talking SPECIFCALLY about Fender guitars, not "Teisco Strat cop[ies]", LOL.

Cool stories, bro.

Archived