Westone UM2 in-ears - yeah or nay?

• Members

So I see that Sweetwater has the Westone UM2's on sale today. Reviews on Amazon are good, but mainly not from musicians, it seems. I'm wondering what the engineers here think of those and/or other recommendations you might have. I've been playing a lot of wedding gigs lately for bands who are all on in-ears, so probably should get something better than the cheap phones the engineers carry for sub musicians to use.

I also noticed a company selling custom earmolds for them on eBay. Since I'm not going JH Harvey anytime soon, is this a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks for the help!

• CMS Author

I haven't used them but have read a heckuva lot of good things about them in these forums.

Regarding "custom" molds...how the hell does one get a custom mold of their ear via eBay????? Don't use any DIY mold kits...you need to have this done by a professional. Unless of course you're also in the habit of performing minor surgery on yourself.

• Members

Thanks for the responses. Anyone with specific experience with the UM2's?

As far as the molds, I agree that it sounds dubious to be done at home, but here's a link...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Let-us-customize-YOUR-existing-WESTONE-UM3-UM3X-Satisfaction-Guaranteed-/171563729732?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item27f1fec344

• Members

I've had the UM-2's for several years now, and they sound great. I couldn't speak to how they work with the standard foamies, as I had custom molds made almost immediately. But with the molds, the bass response is fantastic and they are comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time.

Archived