New PA: Upgrading from BOSE L1 Model1

• Members

One option is Model 2, as it is lighter and uses the nice Tonematch digital mixer and have better throw angle. But I've also looked at other options.

Reason for upgrading is that I need something more scalable and besides I have used this one for many years, I replace when warranty limit is reached. (Norway is always 5 years on PA gear)

I currently use the BOSE for medium gigs, a Yamaha DXR8 for small gigs and a 4800 Watt HK system for bigger gigs and my band. I probably will use the Yamaha or maybe a lighter EV SX-90 Active for very small gigs.

But If possible I will also use the new system for smaller gigs if it is scalable enough. And also up to 200-300. I very rarely play for more people as a soloact. At bigger gigs sound is almost always provided.

ALL of these demands must be met:

- Scalable. For small gigs (which are dominant) I don't need the whole batch. Thats is why a 15-18" sub almost certain is ruled out.

- Easy and light to transport and setup. This rules out amongst others Renkus Heinz IC Live where the sub is 93 kg

- Very good sounding, prefer hifi-like flat response. I'd much rather have clear, well-defined, detailed sound than punching bass: This is acoustic guitar soloact w/o backing

- Very good dispersion/throw. The L1 is rated as 150 degrees and the model 2 at 180. I will accept less than that, but it needs to be OK also for small gigs. That's why 1 active on pole with 90 angle throw is not enough. Also, contrary to what what many people state here, IMO the BOSE really do fill the room very even. When I started using BOSE I stopped using reverb.

- Budget 10k, but don't have to use all that....

As mentioned above, I have fallen in love with the array thing. It works as described in the ads for me, much less feedback (I use headset), no need for monitor, even throw and less difference in spl all over the room. My new PA don't have to be array as long as I can get the same result. So far I've looked at FBT CLA and HK Audio Elements.

• Members

The Iconyx is available in a portable version with appropriate hardware. It's called the Iconyx Live.

I happened to work with an act that used the installation version, they used it with PRX-618S's (because the 120Hz xover freq was a good match, and they had a mounting plate with vertical ears that it sat in. They traveled them in a 4' long road case with 4 sticks, all on wheels. They had modified the input plate with appropriate connectors for their set-up. This was soon after they were introduced, the live version was not available but that's pretty much what they emulated. Sounded very good. I would recommend the live version if you have the budget and can handle the weight.

• Members

Yup, that's what I thought: IC Live who stands for Iconyx Live

See, weight is the problem, as I wrote above 93 kg Sub, it's not gonna happen for me as soloact. I need a system that can be scaled down to fit small venues and 100 people where 90% of my gigs is today. The HK Elements sub is 19 kg.

Archived