Acoustic treatment for practice room

• Members

From '70's Hee Haw country music and skit show. KORN radio.

In all fairness, while not fire proof, used in a radio station in a real world situation back in the day, it probably could provide some diffraction in a hard parallel walled room that broke up reflections for that single microphone. What it did not, nor was it ever going to do, was provide isolation, particularly at the frequencies and volumes that many musicians seem to think it will. Isolation, absorption and diffraction. Not the same thing, not the same remedy.

• Members
That was taken into consideration... I believe due diligence was done. The quilts displayed were cotton and/or wool construction... to my understanding "fire retardant 100% cotton fabric and fire retardant 100% wool or cotton batting"... which' date=' as I understand, is considerably more fire resistant than polyester or silk.[/quote']Interesting - typical quilts hereabouts are made from random fabric scraps unlikely to be fire resistant.

• Members
Interesting - typical quilts hereabouts are made from random fabric scraps unlikely to be fire resistant.

Understandable.

I'll suggest the batting is generally not made of scraps... not that I'm into quilting. But seemingly the simple choice of batting material, which I suspect is likely something that generally must be purchased to make a quilt, the choice of polyester or fire resistant cotton or wool type batting can make a profound difference in the over-all fire resistance of a quilt.

That, and I'm of the understanding that I was dealing with total pros on this quilt display thing... total pros who do quilting for a living... they live and breath quilts and display quilts (for sale) in shopping malls, retail stores, churches, fair buildings, etc... "all the time"... and seemed to be pretty tuned in to the whole fire ratings for quilt thing. I believe due diligence was done.

• Members

I've been following this discussion for a while and something comes to mind. I'd think that a free hanging material (curtains etc...) would want to be more fire retardant than one that is snug against a wall and something laying horizontal (like a blanket or carpet) would need to be even less so. It has to do with available air flow. I'd guess this is why carpet meets code spec for your floor but not as a wall covering.

Just food for thought (NOT to feed the fire :-).

Archived