Speaker connector wire length

Jazzer2020

• Members
. . . When I'm building my cables, do I need to find the black cable? The see-through stuff isn't for guitar amps right?

TIA

I'm going to assume you're serious. The answer is: wire is wire. The color of the insulation doesn't matter. As long as you have heavy enough wire, say 14 gauge or better, you'll be fine. If the stuff with clear insulation is cheaper, get it; if the stuff with black insulation is cheaper, buy that. If you find stuff with neon green or hot pink insulation for a good price, buy that.

• Members

I'm going to assume you're serious. The answer is: wire is wire. The color of the insulation doesn't matter. As long as you have heavy enough wire, say 14 gauge or better, you'll be fine. If the stuff with clear insulation is cheaper, get it; if the stuff with black insulation is cheaper, buy that. If you find stuff with neon green or hot pink insulation for a good price, buy that.

Thanks Deep!

Yeah I was serious.

I'm just curious as to why pretty much all the amp/speaker cable I've found has been black whereas the ones on spools have been this clear type:

• Members
I posted the pre built cables in the other post. http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-ppsj15-12-awg-speakon-type-to-1-4-speaker-cable-15-ft--248-4618

They have them for different lengths. Just browse the site or google for others. Its cheaper to buy them pre made then it is to make them yourself.

Yes I remember your post.

The problem is that I am looking for right-angle plugs on each end and I've yet to see them on pre-assembled cables.

If you can find them online in 5', 10', and 20' lengths I'd be interested in seeing them.

• Members
  • Members

I just spoke with my local amp repair guy.

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from him already for this amp modification (tolex, grille cloth, corners etc.)

He's giving a completely different opinion on the cable stuff.

I asked him about the cable/plugs that I'm looking for.

When I told him it's just 25W power he said Speak-on plugs and 12 or 14 gauge cable is overkill.

He said Speak-on plugs are used for high amp cabinets 400W etc.

He said I should go with 1/4" plugs.

He also said that 18 gauge (lamp cord) would be just fine, that 12/14 gauge would in fact take away sound in my situation.

Thoughts?

• Members
I just spoke with my local amp repair guy. . . .

. . . Thoughts?

Yes. Find a new amp repair guy. He's full of crap. You can use heavier connectors and wire than you absolutely need and it won't hurt anything, least of all sonically. Again, thin wire makes you amp work harder and robs power from your speaker(s). This is especially true when you don't have a lot of power to spare. If you even remotely think that down the road you might find yourself using a more powerful amp, then you'll be glad you have nice, heavy cables when the time comes.

• Members

Yes. Find a new amp repair guy. He's full of crap. You can use heavier connectors and wire than you absolutely need and it won't hurt anything, least of all sonically. Again, thin wire makes you amp work harder and robs power from your speaker(s). This is especially true when you don't have a lot of power to spare.

OK thanks DeepEnd.

This guy hasn't done any amp repairs for me. He's just sold me some tolex so far and I have a few more items on order from him.

Archived