How to get that 80s Prog rock sounds with my guit?

Chummy

• Members

Which efx should I use in Cubase? just wondering. Bands like marillion, Genesis etc.

I've got '84 mexican fender start btw.

I know for synthpop and new wave you need to use alot of chorus, compression and delay/reverb. But that sounded slightly different than the more "rocky" sound.

• Members

An '84 Mexi Strat? That's a rare bird indeed. Considering they didn't start making guitars in Mexico until the 90's. To answer your question though, mostly the same as the new wave stuff, just add some fuzz and overdrive. Light chorus and slap back delays. I know Hackett used a superfuzz through a hiwatt. Not sure what Stuermer used during the 80's. Probably rack gear.

• Members

There is also a lot of pattern picking adding intricacy on the early stuff particularly Trespass and Nursery Cryme which as a fingerstyle player comes easy to me but if you have come in from the rock side of the field it will take work.

There is a great series of underwatched interviews with genesis on their albums. Excellent insight for you on how the stuff was put together. here is the Trespass one to get you started and moving on to mid 80's Invisible Touch. Enjoy

[video=youtube_share;poUnfiHjvwo]http://youtu.be/poUnfiHjvwo

[video=youtube_share;nqwW6XYW3gY]

Archived