Candidates for Perfect Songs (or near enough)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

This song is on my personal performance list. You know those songs that you have ready to go if asked "play one!". The reason? Because every time I play it at a gathering people get that look on their face "that song! I love that song!" Harry Nilsson. But rendered nicely by Aimee Mann. The real star of the version is Jon Brion's awesome instrumentation.

• Members

Yeah, Nilsson hit the target close to perfect a bunch of times.

This treatment reminds me of Suzanne Vega's fabulous 99.9 album with all the magic filligree provided by Mitchell Froom.

This one deserves the "close enough to perfect" list methinks...or almost. They could have clarified her vocal a bit more in the verses, no? Oh but the chorus is soooo good.

In Liverpool

[video=youtube_share;0df0racc3vk]

nat whilk ii

• Members

These 2 songs may have been influenced by ads for the upcoming James Brown movie, but I still think they're as close to perfect as you can get.

"I Feel Good."

"It's a Man's World."

• Members

Hey Jes, welcome to the forum. Yes, Dylan has a lot of worthy candidates for "perfect" songs. What was perfect was what Dylan was able to do in the context of those tumultuous, wide-open, astonishing, blessed and cursed 60s.

I'll throw this one out - Dylan in full poet-prophet mode, all of 21 years old writing this, how was this possible?

It's A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall

[video=youtube_share;-ex-m-eEKsg]

nat whilk ii

For the life of me I'm having a tough time thinking of a perfect song written by Dylan.

This could be one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xneaNKGqTm8

And maybe this one. (It's impossible to find an original Dylan recording on Youtube.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT_7lKX1xUs

• Members

For the life of me I'm having a tough time thinking of a perfect song written by Dylan.

This could be one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xneaNKGqTm8

And maybe this one. (It's impossible to find an original Dylan recording on Youtube.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT_7lKX1xUs

Yes, Dylan is definitely one of my major heroes who has precious few "perfect" songs. Knocking On Heaven's Door is so direct and effective, it's close. Just that it's that one melody over and over, verse same as chorus - it does it's job, hits the mark kebang and then leaves before becoming a complete song...but I wouldn't change it, either

So the distinction between "great" and "perfect" is an important one. What was it I read somewhere...some article or book about classical music, and one famous composer said that it seemed to him that the very greatest compositions so often had the most imperfections. Interesting thought...if I could just remember where I read that.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Yes, Dylan is definitely one of my major heroes who has precious few "perfect" songs. ... one famous composer said that it seemed to him that the very greatest compositions so often had the most imperfections.

That's Dylan in a nutshell (if you could fit Dylan in a nutshell...).

• Members

Love Letters. This 1945 tune is very much in the perfect category I'll venture.

There are probably no love letters anymore. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to get across to someone from the social media generation just how powerful and treasured a little page or two written on "writing paper" from a distant love can be. In my life I only got a very few - from my girlfriend at college when I went home for the summer. But, yes, I read them a hundred times, did the whole schtick, was in total immersion for the full package of agonies and ecstasies...

There are lots of covers of this, but this one by Boz is a bases-loaded homerun. In fact, the whole album is fantastic - I try to copy his vocal style just a teeny bit from time to time and just get depressed...

[video=youtube_share;EEKTO1GumjM]

nat whilk ii

• Moderators

I love this. To me... it's perfect. Each verse ends in turn, and I'll take you, and I'll shake you, I won't make you. All punctuating this achingly beautiful rock and roll love song capturing the beauty of youth and love. Won't cha tell your dad get off my back. Tell him what we said about paint it black. It is, to me, perfect.

• Members
I love this. To me... it's perfect. Each verse ends in turn, and I'll take you, and I'll shake you, I won't make you. All punctuating this achingly beautiful rock and roll love song capturing the beauty of youth and love. Won't cha tell your dad get off my back. Tell him what we said about paint it black. It is, to me, perfect.

I've only recently gotten into Big Star... but I'm hooked. Have you seen the documentary?

• Members

Lovely. Never heard of them before. Is it me or is that lead acoustic part too loud?

Archived