Candidates for Perfect Songs (or near enough)

• Members
I was 11 and standing in the "record department" of West Covina's White Front store. Like a Target. The clerk puts on this tune on a new little self contained record player speaker combo and... I remember hearing her voice, then his. Wondering if it was the same person. That voice. That groove. It sounded wise but not like my dad. This was... WISE. It hasn't aged at all. Fantastic.

And you could probably put any of their hits -- "Hot Fun in the Summertime," "Thank You Falettin' Me Be Mice Elf Agin," "Everyday People" "Dance to the Music" -- in the same category: a perfect Top 40 song.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have a tendency to love tracks from albums that might by some be categorised as 'filler' tracks.

Here's one by Jethro Tull from 'Stand Up'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sJA_VF5c7U

This is the only Jethro Tull album I actually have ever owned. Love when the flute comes in like a chill up your spine. This older stuff is a lot more blues-based, Cream-like esp that claptonesque wah lead. Kinda my thing, rock-wise in relation to the proggy turn they took a bit later (which is what everyone else loves them for.)

And wow, that's some remastering job. It's just a Youtube, and it sounds way better than my old CD version.

nat whilk ii

• Members
I feel this is the closest thing I've heard to a perfect song in my lifetime. I don't think I've ever heard a song that has so much to say about….well everything.

Hey Jes, welcome to the forum. Yes, Dylan has a lot of worthy candidates for "perfect" songs. What was perfect was what Dylan was able to do in the context of those tumultuous, wide-open, astonishing, blessed and cursed 60s.

I'll throw this one out - Dylan in full poet-prophet mode, all of 21 years old writing this, how was this possible?

It's A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall

[video=youtube_share;-ex-m-eEKsg]

nat whilk ii

• Members
Woah, I have so many tunes to offer that it feels like it was my destiny to post in this thread. :)

Pink Floyd has way too many songs to mention )

I would agree with that assessment.

• Members

Just listening to this earlier and thinking, man, this is a perfect pop song... and a perfect summer song at that...

[video=youtube;U5bUmx-hk-c]

(I suspect someone laid the stereo version in over a lip sync to the single from Bandstand or similar.)

Since this popped up in the sidebar, and it's also a perfect slice of 60s pop -- and some kind of official promo vid as far as I can tell but who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c1ZB446bq4

Damn, the YouTube reco bot is on fire... another can't-pass-it-by perfect 60s side from the sidebar of the last...

[video=youtube;Mb3iPP-tHdA]

... now that last song's perfection may elude some.

But, if you don't get it, don't worry. You kinda had to be there.

• Members
Just listening to this earlier and thinking, man, this is a perfect pop song... and a perfect summer song at that...

[video=youtube;U5bUmx-hk-c]

I agree with the Spoonful choice. I'm not sure the others are perfect lyrically.

Anyone agree with this choice?

Archived