Who is offering the best user friendly keyboard/workstation these days.

gpaaib

• Members

With me, the Motif has been my main board since I bought my Motif 8 in 2002 and if I went with anything else, I would be back to learning instead of recording......I'm not into doing a lot of editing with the sequencer on any brand....I just save good takes and those are the finished tracks...pretty much any sequencer will do that unless it has timing issues like some sequencers I used before the Motif.....some guys do too much editing with the sequencer....using live takes instead makes you a better live player because even your recordings are 100% real....this forces you to a higher level instead of cheating using technology....there are some things that can only be done editing sequences but that's not what I'm talking about.....I'm talking about editing out errors instead of learning the part more thoroughly....that is like cheating and players that rely on technology for that never sound as good live....live performances tell the truth.....

I'm also not a player that uses tracks or sequences on stage.....the audience doesn't like it and view it as fake or cheating and it is....my songs sound full without that and it's all 100% real....I knew some guys a while back that put their shows together using tracks and playing along with them....I will NEVER do that....I would hang it up first and I play solo shows.....naturally when it's 100% live you can only do so much with two hands but it's still the only way for me....

When Queen used to walk off stage in the middle of Bohemian Rhapsody and let a recording play the middle part, I was very disappointed by this.....they could have performed it live with extra people or careful arrangements....I've heard guys play that song solo at piano lounges I worked at and Queen is a full group....

This is the danger of MIDI and an unlimited amount of tracks on songs you write is ending up with songs that are impossible to play live regardless of how wonderful the recording is....

In the 1974 Guiness Book of World Records the Beach Boys set a world record for having the most miles of tape it took to master a song (Good Vibrations) which first of all is not a record I would be proud of but how can they ever hope to sound the same way live? (although I'm sure over time they got better at it)....

Most bands who swore they would never play live or just didn't play live eventually had to do it.....there's no escaping it sometimes....it's expected of them and can be an end to their career not doing it sometimes...even Steely Dan and the Alan Parsons Project who were known for not playing live eventually had to do it (Steely Dan played live to promote their first album)...

I really do like a lot of Roland sounds.....I have a XV-3080, XV-5050 and a JV-1010.....the JV-1010 is hooked up to an old Windows 98 laptop for editing so I can see sound names for layering and editing and to set up the user bank better or to load sound libraries........I like some Roland sounds better than any other synth for certain songs as they just sound more like the CD.....

I transposed a violin down with my Korg Karma and I got a better cello than on any of my other boards (think "Eleanor Rigby")....I put the Complete Orchestra SRX in the XV-5050 so I can record it digitally into the Motif, but is still doesn't have any cello that beats the cello in the Karma......I think every synth has certain sounds that are better than any of my other synths although the 3 Rolands I have have a lot of the same sounds.....the XV-3080 seems to have the best sound quality of the 3.....when synths have about 1000 sounds, having more than one works well because layering sounds is so important....

The Roland Fantom XR rack doesn't seem to offer much more than the XV-5050 other than sampling which I do with the Motif and 128 polyphony vs 64 in the XV-5050....there are sounds in the Fantom XR that aren't in the XV-5050 but I got my XV-5050 so cheap that the price difference between the two would never be worth it....you rarely see a Fantom XR for under $600 used.....sometimes with luck you can get a XV-5050 for a little over $200 (that's what I paid and mine is like new).....the XV-5050 seems clearer than the XV-3080 but the XV-3080 still sounds better and richer to me....

I definitely do any editing on the XV-5050 on the computer as the display is too small (I like the USB jack on the front panel....everyone should put it there).....

I would like to get an Integra-7 sometime.....

This is an old post I put on here under my other name:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...97213-36445521

I have played some of the Fender Strats with the Roland MIDI pickup for the GR synth.....they seemed to play pretty well and this was a long time ago now.....I'm sure they have improved them very much by now....Yamaha had a MIDI pickup too for guitars.....I haven't tried it....

I play guitar leads with some guitar voices on the Korg Karma (I like them for lead, not for rhythm) and you need to play differently or you will sound like a keyboardist.....I've done it a long time and it's easy now.....I don't really need to think about it anymore....it's the same in reverse to play piano from a guitar synth....you don't want to play like a guitarist....

With either you need to change your playing to fit whatever type of sound you are playing to sound more like the actual instrument or it won't be convincing....you also have to be careful with how you use controllers on your board or you will blow the illusion of the instrument you are trying to emulate.....

• Members

I have a Korg Z1, which has a fantastic synthesis engine (physical modelling but Korg calls it MOSS). It is so incredibly tweakable but has no sequencer. However, I believe that you can get a MOSS board to install into some of their workstations.

You have to experience this to believe it, but adjusting synth parameters while playing is like adjusting length, diameter, density, flexibility and other physical qualities of something that is getting plucked, blown or struck. It is totally unlike any other synthesis engine I have ever used. Not as realistic as a ROMpler when you hear individual notes, but way, way more expressive and playable.

• Members

The MOSS board fits into the Triton / Karma gear.....I'd like to get it for my Triton rack....I have a Karma I'd like to get one for also....

guido61.....

You really ought to buy one Roland synth...the XV-3080 would be a good choice.....you'd get a ton of classic Roland sounds and this link tells you how to access over 1000 user sounds from the Smart Media card WITHOUT HAVING TO LOAD THEM....get a 128 MB Smart Media card (that's as big as they get)....also get a Smart Media card reader to backup all files to DVD with your computer (don't trust CD's....CD's fail).....

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...97213-36445521

Roland XV-3080's on Ebay (if they aren't $300, you should be able to get one for around $300 with patience)....128 note polyphony....this synth holds 2 SRX and 4 SR-JV80 expansion boards to add sounds but it has a TON of sounds

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...V-3080&_sop=16

These are demos of some sounds in the XV-3080.....there are tons more than these demos show (it has all the sounds from the JV-1080 & JV-2080):

http://www.synthmania.com/jv-2080.htm

Archived