Decking PRS Trem

davidhkennedy

• Members

Ok here's the deal. I've got 2 PRS SE guitars with tremolos and I love them. The only problem is if I ever break a string, the loss in string tension causes all the other strings to go way sharp, so much so that if I break a string mid-song while onstage, I can't even finish the song. Now, I came across an idea to lower the whole assembly so the trem plate sits completely flush against the body, but carefully so the knife edge still sits on the notches in the fulcrum screws. In the event I do break a string, the face of the guitar stops the springs from pulling it sharp. Anyone try this?

• Members

I was thinking of doing neither. I was just thinking about lowering the entire thing so the bridge sits flush with the body. Nothing else changes in the design. The knife edge will still pivot on the notches in the mounting screws. It just will not float above the body. I'd rather do that because I still want to use the trem in a down-only fashion.

• Members

That's what I was thinking. I was just worried that it might screw it up somehow, with my luck, since PRS stresses that the bridge must be floating 1/16" above and parallel to the body. I guess when others crank down their PRS trems, they don't account for the notched screws having to be lined up just so on the knife edge.

• Members

I have one of these on all of my Strat-type guitars with trems. This will keep the other strings in tune if you break a string if you keep it pressed to the trem block. And you can still keep the base of the tremolo parallel to the body. I don't know if you'd want to put this in your PRS, tho.

I don't keep my pressed to the trem block, all of my Strat-type trems are floating.

I only use mine when I'm tuning and intonating my guitar.

axbrasstremstop.gif

http://www.axcessories.com/proddetail.asp?prod=axbrasstremstop

This is how they are on my guitars

CloseupKGCBlock.jpg

Archived