Graduation ceremony sound

• Members

Last night the wife and I attended a college graduation for our daughter in law. Big stage and big video screen.  They were running eight JBL VTX V25's per side. Impressive sound. I went to see what kind of gear the FOH engineer was using and was surprised to see a little Soundcraft eight channel mixer and that was it. It was all that was needed as it was just one voice mic and some ceremonial music at the end. Just looked out of proportion to me.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I used to do something similar, large line array and a crest xr-20. Long, miserable, boring days. Good pay if you don't whore the job out.

Unless I was missing something I'll bet they could have easily gotten away with one or two of those V25's per side. It was outdoors with about 3000 attending but that seemed to be a lot of rig for that gig.

• CMS Author

My older daughter graduated Saturday. Amazing fact: when it's your kid, you actually may not spend most of the time checking out the sound rig. I'm aware it was a four-hang of what was probably VTX, but that's about all I really looked at.

I know, I know, I'm slipping.....

Archived