Buzzing from PA connected to e-drums

• Members

Hey guys, need some advice for a little problem I'm having with my PA...

I have an Alesis DM10 e-drum set, and a Samson db500A powered speaker. At my last place I had these two hooked up together without any problem, but I moved recently and now I'm getting a nasty buzzing sound. I don't remember what cables I used to connect them to each other, but nothing seems to be working. I've used a stereo 1/4" cable from the DM10 headphone output to the db500 Line In. I've used mono cables, with and without a stereo-to-mono adapter. Nothing seems to avoid the buzzing. However, headphones sound just fine with the DM10, and plugging my RME Babyface headphone output into the db500 Line In sounds good too. It's only when I'm connecting the drums to the speaker. And they used to work fine together. I feel like I'm overlooking a simple detail... Any thoughts?

• Members

I beleive the DM10 outputs are TRS balanced - if the powered speaker also has a TRS balanced input just use a TRS to TRS cable. Otherwise a TRS to XLR male to the speaker's XLR input. I think I'm using a TRS to TRS cable on mine into a cheap powered mixer in our rehearsal space with no noise issues.

• Members

You know, it's funny... I've been scratching my head over this for two days now, and then as soon as I post here, I figure out what it is. I got my Mesa Boogie footswitch cable mixed up with my midi cable. The pinout must be different and it was causing the buzzing. Ah boy.... :smileyembarrassed:

Thanks for the tips guys!

Archived