Friday Influences Thread 03-14-14

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Well... it's been a ride, huh? Sorry for my absence during this minor bump but I've had this virus that just kicked my butt. I've been sleeping. A lot. I'm back at work and dizzy and dazed and... reluctant to take that first sip of caffeine. It's inevitable though, isn't it?

POST!

When my band F L U K E back in 1980, decided to take our little quiver of new wave pop tunes into the clubs, we were met with the quandary of either playing the "original" music clubs, or to somehow figure a way to keep our integrity, and our originals, and play 4 sets a night, 5 nights a week, in the exploding dance club scene. Then, that meant Top 40. And we weren't going there. So our manager, who happened to be local rock critic, suggested we work up a night's worth of garage rock. not just garage rock, lots of poppy jangle too from the 60s... but with our interest in things with a punk slant, garage filled the dance floor, our originals fit right in, and we workedworkedworked nonstop. Everything was put through our personal filters and played like an original tune. Each of us going forward separately into pro music careers.

This is the kind of stuff we played while loving it...

[video=youtube;iZExWt-bj-k]

These guys lit it up for me as well, from a different era. Wilco Johnson (guitar) and Dr. Feelgood...

:

cf29cbd0cc9a4b2b6aacc8c30cdc399c.jpg

• Moderators

Heavy traffic!!! OK then... I have the floor. Beck's latest stuff is once again making me stop and think. This is good, and just barely out of reach...

I move away from this place

In the form of a disturbance

And enter into the world

Like some tiny distortion

If I surrender

And I don't fight this wave

No I won't go under

I'll only get carried away

Wave

Wave

Wave

Isolation

• Members
So our manager, who happened to be local rock critic, suggested we work up a night's worth of garage rock. not just garage rock, lots of poppy jangle too from the 60s... but with our interest in things with a punk slant, garage filled the dance floor, our originals fit right in, and we workedworkedworked nonstop.

Was your manager Lenny Kaye?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3AvEiKB5k4

• Moderators

After seeing Father john Misty singing backups for Beck's first tune on SNL the other week, it reminded me of how much I dig him. Here's one form the True Detective soundtrack. Conjuring up aural images of many folk/rock heroes of past times...

• Members

A lot of people faulted Boz Scaggs for latching onto the disco craze (instead of sticking with his "blues roots"), but it's hard to fault a song this catchy, polished, and well-crafted.

[video=youtube;I-hKBmTAADo]

• Members

This one is really not in the usual vibe hereabouts - a good vibe, to be sure!

It's not a song really. It's not ambient really. A bit electronic, but fits no genre.

It just makes me feel like a kid on saturday morning on a fresh early spring day, that's all

nat whilk ii

• Members

Ok so I'm into odd stuff today....

This one I remember from the radio back when I was a very young kid, kindergarten or first grade. Yes, that is actual phasing on a 1959 radio-play 45.

It's impossible to describe the haunting feel that weird phasing lent to this tune - it has to be the first time any popular song ever used such an effect, so there was absolutely no frame of reference. I remember that the phasing made it seem so much like a sad dream, or in a fog or storm, or an echo of mournful ghosts from the past. Now..it's just a bit of phase. But think about how long this was before phasing got traction as the psychedelic effect de jure by '67 or so.

nat whilk ii

• Members
Ok so I'm into odd stuff today....

This one I remember from the radio back when I was a very young kid, kindergarten or first grade. Yes, that is actual phasing on a 1959 radio-play 45.

It's impossible to describe the haunting feel that weird phasing lent to this tune - it has to be the first time any popular song ever used such an effect, so there was absolutely no frame of reference. I remember that the phasing made it seem so much like a sad dream, or in a fog or storm, or an echo of mournful ghosts from the past. Now..it's just a bit of phase. But think about how long this was before phasing got traction as the psychedelic effect de jure by '67 or so.

nat whilk ii

I couldn't pick out the flanging. Guess my ears are getting old.

But didn't Billie Holiday use phasing back in the 1930s? Or was that just her voice?

BTW, the flange effect is more evident on this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4wnW8GkDv0

I also found this instrumental version on Youtube. It's quite a nice tune!

• Members

I like both those covers - never heard them before. Interesting composition/chord progressions, definitely.

The effect I'm thinking now it might be better described as flanging rather than phasing, as "flanging" is usually associated with that jet plane whoosh because it's sort of a comb filter sweep. Craig would know better than me the distinctions.

If you have a mind to, listen to the very begininng of the Toni Fisher version - before the vocal comes in, the flange makes a big cycle from low to high, peaking at about 8 sec in. But yeah, that Del Shannon version stomps the flange pedal, so to speak - nice! Until recently I would probably have thought Itchycoo Park by the Faces was the first flange effect, but I'm learning now about how it goes back a ways. Billie Holiday?? Now that would be really unusual.

My favorite tune that works the flange is this one - Hendrix and I guess Eddie Kramer aren't doing the big obvious flange effect, but it's worked into the lead and the mix in perfectly strategic spots.

Hey, I'm posting links instead of embedding vids 'cause the embedding thing isn't working for me - is there a trick I haven't figure out yet??

nat whilk ii

• Members
I like both those covers - never heard them before. Interesting composition/chord progressions, definitely.

The effect I'm thinking now it might be better described as flanging rather than phasing, as "flanging" is usually associated with that jet plane whoosh because it's sort of a comb filter sweep. Craig would know better than me the distinctions.

Hey, I'm posting links instead of embedding vids 'cause the embedding thing isn't working for me - is there a trick I haven't figure out yet??

nat whilk ii

They're showing up as embedded videos on my computer...

• Members

This song was written by Mike Settle, who was a member of The New Christy Minstrels in the mid-60s, then a member of The First Edition in the late '60s and early '70s. (The band was later called Kenny Rogers and the First Edition.) It was a hit for them in 1969.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1bJIl1wLlY

"Sunshine," written by Mickey Newbury, from the Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town LP (also released in 1969).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNSPHBoOfKU

• Members

Mickey Newbury is probably best known for "Just Dropped In (to See What Condition My Condition Was In") for The First Edition, and for his "American Trilogy," a "smash-up" of three traditional songs: "Dixie," "Battle Hymn of the Republic," and "All My Trials." Most people are familiar with Elvis Presley's recordings and live performances of the medley, but Newbury's version charted at #26 in 1972.

Newbury's songs have been recorded by Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Bill Monroe, Hank Snow, Ray Charles, Tony Rice, Jerry Lee Lewis, Tammy Wynette, Ray Price, Don Gibson, Brenda Lee, Charlie Rich, Andy Williams, Sammi Smith, Joan Baez, Tom Jones, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, John Denver, B.B. King, Linda Ronstadt, and Bobby "Blue" Bland, among many others.

Here's one recorded by Ray Charles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrVSuxxvKQQ

Two songs performed on the Johnny Cash Show.

• Members

Hi hat close

I remember discussing midi drum programming (IIRC it was with oswlek) and talking about the importance of the hi hat close event. Listen to the way Pharrell uses the hi hat close to drive the groove here:

[video=youtube;y6Sxv-sUYtM]

• Members

Jesse Fuller, a "one-man band" and songwriter (1896 - 1976).

"Hesitation Blues," performed by Willie Nelson and Asleep at the Wheel.

Fuller's most famous song, "San Francisco Bay Blues," done here as a jazz tune by Richie Havens.

"You're No Good." Dylan did this tune on his first LP. Some say he got the idea to use a harmonica rack from Fuller.

Archived