EV ZXA1 vs. QSC K8?

• Members

I have a LOT of very profitable situations where 100dB at the mix position is plenty, calc'd out I have 6dB or more of headroom so it would be the IDEAL speaker for the job.

You guys seem to be ignoring the fact that there are a lot of applications out there that may be very different from perhaps your own?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The SXA1 you mean? I'd still have the SX200s in my pocket for larger stuff.

Or the ZXA1 or the K-8, or the small JF's, or the small Meyers, etc.

Just saw a couple of dV-DOSC's used as front fills yesterday, worked very well. Thisnis another application where any of the above speakers might be an ideal choice IMO.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Personally, I think the K-8's are R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S-L-Y overpriced.
:)

I do not think so.

Initially I wanted to add another pair of k10s to my existing pair, then I bumped into all these discussions (K10s / K8s vs ZXA1s). I started to feel that I've made a wrong choice in getting the K10s instead of the ZXA1s because everyone is saying that the ZXA1 is cheaper ($500 vs $650 for k8 and $700 for k10), but through extensive search through various forum discussions, there's one very strong point that stands out that is while some users prefer the sound of the ZXA1s, the K series definitely wins in volume.

On paper alone it is 129dB peak for the k10s and 123dB peak for the ZXA1s. To get the same volume out of the 1 unit of k10, you would need 2 units of ZXA1s. IMHO, getting the ZXA1s doesn't translate into savings if you need things really LOUD. That said, sound is very subjective and I have no problems with QSC's sound. Personally, I will still go for the K10s for more volume and IMHO that translates into better value for money. Weight wise, I can still handle the weight of the K series, already much lighter than my older rig.. my 2 cents

Mike

-proud owner of QSC K10s (I lug them around with Gator padded soft bag)

been using my 1st pair of k10s for various applications including:

-school / college proms up to 300 people (with 18" sub support)

-outdoor cd playback + vocal event up to 200 people (with 18" sub support)

-zone fill @ 500 people company annual dinner

-vocal support (speech / light music) up to 500 people

-monitor speaker for jazz band setup

• Members

I spent a lot of time looking for that perfect lightweight vocal/acoustic rig. I considered a Bose Compact, Fishman SoloAmp, and a BagAmp for some time without ever listening to them. (Foolish I know) The BagAmp was new and getting a lot of hype. The SoloAmp was the best compromise for sound vs portability while the Bose Compact had what I thought was the best sound in a 3 way shootout done by a fellow Forum member on another forum. As time went on (I was healing from shoulder surgery and was in no rush to make a decision) some of these people who bought one of these units either sold one of them while buying one of the others or some started adding a small powered speaker to supplement the shortcomings of these units. This all caused me to shy away from them altogether and to stick to the conventional 2 speakers on sticks and a small passive mixer (I would have used a mixer with all of those compact units anyway for a duo or even effects and convenience of control for a solo)

So that left me intrigued with the small lightweight powered speaker. The EV ZxA1 was a big contender at 19lbs and a great pricepoint. And I was already an EV fan. I thought on its own it sounded pretty darn good for a speaker that size. Then checked the K8 alongside of it and I heard a big difference. The K8 was much smoother and more pleasant to listen too. The vocals from the ZxA1 sounded too forward and unnatural. I had limited funds and tried hard to like the EV. After a while of listening back and forth (maybe an hour with recorded music and then an acoustic with a vocal mic) it seemed to me that the smoothness of the K8 was worth the extra money and determined that the EV "could" possibly give some ear fatigue by the end of a night.

For monitor use the ZxA1 might possibly shine pushing out more vocals. And as much as I might agree that the K8's are overpriced, I thought it worth the extra money.

btw the K10 seems to be the star of the K series.

• Members

Whoa... flashback thread. I know I started this thread with the question of the best lightweight SOS setup using subs, but in all of my listening and research I guess I've come to the conclusion that I'm not sure why anyone would want to use 8" speakers as mains for loud rock music... although I certainly could with the moderate volumes we play at. Compact high-powered 8's or 10's seem ideal for monitors... larger driver if it's a drum or bass monitor. Almost as a rule most here think that a pair of good 10's or 12's over good subs seems like the best for lightweight FOH solution. About a year of research now for me on the topic and the only real change it's had on my rig is that I moved to lighter amps and replaced my old JBL monitors with ZX1s. One more year on my SX200s as mains and they still put out. I don't need stupid loud. I think that the EVs I have are the flattest speakers I've ever used... not fatiguing at all. So, for me... I've saved my pennies and I'm waiting for the ZXA3 to drop and those will be my new mains.

• Members

and a BagAmp for some time without ever listening to them. (Foolish I know) The BagAmp was new and getting a lot of hype.

I haven't heard a thing from Jack in a couple of years... did the BagAmp ever meet it's goal of taking over the acoustic world and putthe rest of the manufacturers (especially Fishman) in their place?

• Members

Whoa... flashback thread. I know I started this thread with the question of the best lightweight SOS setup using subs, but in all of my listening and research I guess I've come to the conclusion that I'm not sure why anyone would want to use 8" speakers as mains for loud rock music... although I certainly could with the moderate volumes we play at.

With the right set-up it certainly could work for moderate volumes, especially if the 8" inventory earned it's keep with other genres.

BUT, for other music, jazz, folk, easy listening, anything that had reasonable SPL reqts., the K8's might be a better choice, especially if visuals are important and low profile subs were part of the system,

• Members

I haven't heard a thing from Jack in a couple of years... did the BagAmp ever meet it's goal of taking over the acoustic world and putthe rest of the manufacturers (especially Fishman) in their place?

I'm told Jack fell off the face of the earth and was never heard from again. BagAmp was taken over by some "reputable" company (I've heard) and still trying to make a go of it. There are very few fans of bagAmp and even less fans of Jack. I have not been part of any of this other than several emails left unanswered by Jack back when he was still barely around.

• Members

With the right set-up it certainly could work for moderate volumes, especially if the 8" inventory earned it's keep with other genres.

BUT, for other music, jazz, folk, easy listening, anything that had reasonable SPL reqts., the K8's might be a better choice, especially if visuals are important and low profile subs were part of the system,

I'm still a fan of the K8 and would still pick it over the ZxA1.

• Members

Don't get me wrong... if the K8 had a trap cab with monitor angle I'd be all over it.

I agree a BIG mistake on the part of QSC. I kept one of my K8's to use as a monitor. Fits great on a small amp stand and has different angles. Works great for me but a few of them for a band would be a nightmare.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ultimate-Support-Amp-150-Genesis-Amp-Stand-100649383-i1142067.gc

I've seen them cheaper but I already had one that I wasn't using.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an out of topic question. Have anyone opened up the QSC Ks before? I couldn't find any manufacturers name on the drivers. I heard they should be Celestion Truvox Drivers but can anyone verify what's the exact drivers for K10 woofer and tweeter?

Meanwhile, I'm so excited because I'm getting my 2nd pair of K10s next week!

• Members

I asked the same question here some months back and after much back and forth i went with the EV, love them, have gigged them weekly and always get compliments on the sounf, especially from other musicians that can't believe how good these things sound...I do use them for acoustic duo in venues of up to 50/75 people, not a rock band trying to fight loud crowds.

The one thing I think the K8 does better is cover a wider area closer to the speaker, if I was using them (and I have) I would not need monitors in some louder venues, the EV's are narrow in sound so depending on the set-up, you may have trouble hearing yourself without monitoring.

Sound wise, build quality, and cost value I'd go with the EV

Hope this helps.

Rod

• 1 year later...
  • Members

You can purchase brand new k12's shipped from Hollywood DJ.com for $650. When you check the site it says $650 for bstock, however, if you call them

they will offer you brand new. I havent priced the k10's or k8's tho.

That being said, I have a pair of the k12's and I feel that they are a little bright sounding but very nice overall.

• Members

Well I know its a $10k MAP system, but I think the RCF TT08 over the TTS12A makes a killer small compact rig.

But if I was on an low $4k budget: the Art408a over the Art702as.

But for $6k I would try and sell the Art710a and Art902as instead. But it looking at the RCF site, it looks like they just added Art708a to the series as well.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Wow. Flashback... of a flashback. I actually just stumbled upon this... my OWN thread... while looking for reviews of the new ZXA1 sub. Great thread though.

Is anyone using the ZXA1 speaker/sub combo in the SOS situation that I described in the OP? Just got a Ford Focus SEL HB... so let's update the cargo space to ~45cu.ft. What gear would you use if that's all the room you had to haul FOH and monitors for a small electric/acoustic trio?

Thanks,

MMCD

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I personally own the EV ZXA1 (for ceremonies, cocktails & small events)  as well as a pair of QSC K-12s.

If I were to do it all over again, I would choose the K-8s. I have had the ZXA1s fail me 3 times due to overheating. (I know 2 other local DJs that have had the same experience)

The QSC K speakers have a built in fan that keeps the speaker running cool.

The ZXA1 is a fantastic sounding speaker, but I would NOT recommend using them outdoors on a warm day.

They are poorly designed. there are no cooling fins, vents, or fans for cooling them down. Plus the speaker hole in the bottom is not squarly centered, and when on a tripod, it is very easy to tip over if the legs of tripod are not fully extended, or if you are in a tight spot & cannot fully extend the legs, the chances if it tipping over & crashing to the floor are very good. 

Like I said, it is an outstanding sounding speaker...but poorly designed.  IMHO, go with the K-8.

• Members

Just used my ZXA1 with matching subs outdoors for a jazz/funk group. Had the sax, guitar, keyboards, kick and overhead, and bass running through them. Area was an outdoors courtyard about 35'x70' with about 75 people in attendance. Will vouch that they can and will thermal. Well in my case one of the satellites did. It was just west of a red brick wall aimed west. It thermalled on me twice but never while the band was playing. (There were awards and scholarships being handed out.) As soon as the warranty is over, these units are getting fans with on/off switches. (I"m more than half way there already.) Might try a heat pipe CPU heat sink on the outside. (Is that metal magnetic?) They get real hot on the top of the amp. That said, they were loud enough and had about another 10 dbc available. I could have brought bigger equipment, but it wouldn't have been louder, or better sounding. It would have used less power, taken longer to setup and teardown as well as been a visual eyesore. I'm pretty sure I can figure out the cure for the thermal shutdowns. (The Subs never quit and only one satellite thermalled.)

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Designing with fans is usually cheaper but adds unreliability costs as fans are not as reliable as heatsinks. Also, dirt and dust add to the problems. As amps get smaller for the power level, at some point fans are essential.

... and smaller fets too.... less surface area to get the heat off from in addition to the higher thermal density issue you mentioned.

I would think you could monitor the condition of the fan and adjust strategy depending on if the fan was working or not.  You may give up performance, but the speaker wouldn't fail.

Still, I agree, one more moving part that is going to fail.

Archived