TC ELECTRONIC KONNEKT 24D (FireWire Audio Interface)

Anderton

• Members

I bought the 24D as my first interface. Took it back when I realized it wasn't my problem, but the interface's (w Sonar).

TC knows that as soon as they get it up and working you'll all crawl back into your holes and be quiet, happy, and occasionally sing the praises of the Konnekt; and it will (may) be a good product then. But you should remember the cold facts:

to what you paid for the Konnekt, add the number of hours you've wasted times the value of your time per hour. . .

how many have a $1000 Konnekt? A $2000 Konnekt?

I went and got a RME Fireface 400. No problems. Good luck--it'll rock when it starts to work. Just remember what you really paid. And let them remember.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can´t understand the reason why TCE guys doesn´t launch for us, the beta driver that Craig is testing.

Well I don't speak for TC, but the driver still does have some problems (e.g., using Fabrik as plug-ins) so perhaps they're concerned that if it gets into circulation, people who don't know about this thread, and the reasons for releasing such a driver, would take it as a negative rather than positive thing.

I will say that it has allowed me to use Sonar with the K24D with no problems other than the known plug-in issues, which is a big relief. As I said in a previous post, I almost feel guilty that I'm getting to use it happily with Sonar while others aren't...but at least you now know it's possible, so that's encouraging.

As to TC being very, very aware of this thread, again, let me emphasize they have not tried to influence it in any way whatsoever. By this time, some manufacturers would be calling Harmony Central and begging them to pull the thread, and others would be sending in "ringers" to talk about how wonderful the K24D is and how they're used it flawlessly on everything from a MacIntel to an Atari 1040, and getting 10 picoseconds of latency! So I must say from an editorial standpoint, TC has conducted itself with integrity and while you might be distressed they've taken a "hands-off" attitude with this thread, they have also not tried to cover it up or influence it.

While this doesn't mitigate the problems from a user's standpoint, their handling of this from an editor's viewpoint has been exemplary...one reason why I still believe we'll end up getting the driver we want. It's just extremely unfortunate it's taking this long.

• Members
:lol:
:lol:

Thanks for the humour, NM: it's needed around here!
:wave:

Thank you sonicE :thu: . Sure: humour is needed in this sad "Konnekt story", and while we're waiting...!

And so my humble translation works in English ? :)

Original quote: =>

« Un gentleman, c'est quelqu'un qui sait jouer de la cornemuse et qui n'en joue pas. »

- Pierre Desproges -

About Pierre Desproges - there are some more translated quotes on the page - :

=> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Desproges

Best regards from in-front-of-my-laptop's-screen :wave:

N.M.

• Members

I can´t understand the reason why TCE guys doesn´t launch for us, the beta driver that Craig is testing.

With actual driver, K24 doesn´t work at all for Sonar Users.

The beta driver, would allow us, even with his flaws, to use the interface and to collaborate in the driver tests

I wrote 2 times to TC support and there was none

response.

the attitude of TCE is for me absolutely incomprehensibly

I have never suffered so many indifference and maltreatment on the part of a company.

Forgive my bad English

I finally solved my driver issue!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180109983900&rd=1&rd=1

Good Luck!

Brian

• Members

Reviews From TC Website:

Sound On Sound

May 2007

Author: John Walden

"The Konnekt 24D offers a very novel twist that, for me, ads a really competitive edge. Given the complete package on offer, it’s difficult not to see the 24D as excellent value for money. Indeed, so impressed was I by the combination of facilities offered by the Konnekt 24D that I bought the review unit. Highly recommended."

MusicTech

February 2007

Author: Keith Gemmel

‘With the addition of standalone mode the Konnekt 24D is a truly versatile audio interface. And with such easy to use integrated software – a channel strip and great soundsing reverb – it’s an excellent choice for the first time buyer’ (score: 9 out of 10 stars)

EQ

February 2007

Author: Craig Anderton

"I expected a competent well-engineered product, but this one threw me a curve. The sound quality is exceptionally good, even in aworl where the bar for audio quality keeps getting raised. The character is clean and defined; from mic pre to headphone outs, sonic detail is the name of the game. The DSP is exceptional, its nice to have real MIDI I/O […] Iworked extensively with the Konnekt 24D over the past several weeks and it’s passed every test I could throw at it. Thumbs way up."

Remix

February 2007

Markus Rovito

On the whole, the Konnekt 24D hardware/software package not only performed solidly, but it also produced impressive results. It’s a lot of machine in a small box for a reasonable price. Its preamps are clear and transparent, which is all I can ask for in a nondedicated preamp at this price. While sometimes ‘transparant’ preamps can be harsh – like a fluorescent light that exposes your blemishes – the 24D’s preamps were more soft and pleasant."

Keyboard Magazine (US)

December 2006

Author: Stephen Fortner

"The TC stands out for two main reasons. First, it's sound quality is truely audiophile-grade, leapfrogging any interface in this price neighborhood and many that live up hte hill, including a couple of my favorite workhorses, the Digi 002 and Mackie Onyx 400F."

"Second, the fabrik and Assimilator effects aren't just killer, they were previously available only for the PowerCore, and all three would have cost you a cool grand list, plus the PowerCore hardware."

Audio Pro (FR)

Author: Phillipe David

"Pro: Audio performance, integrated effects, price, ease of use"

"Cons: more analog ins and outs would have been great, would have been great with two channels dedicated to monitoring, phantom power simultaneously assigned to both preamps"

Audio Media

November 2006

Stephen Bennet

"The Konnekt 24D is a compact high-quality FireWire interface at a bargain price. The included effects are of high quality and TC Electronic has optimized the areas that the user of this type of interface really need: monitoring, instrument inputs, flexible routing, high output headphone amplifiers and high-quality neutral sounding microphone pre-amplifiers. It’s expandable if you require more inputs and outputs and could easily be the centerpiece of a sophisticated studio set-up as well as a very nice location recording device"

• Members

First of all, thanks to Craig and the folks behind this site. It is an amazing resource.

I have a 24D and its working great for the most part.

My setup is:

Windows XP Home Edition SP2
MSI MS-6728
PII 2.8
512.00 MB

The only problems is that I'll get a really bad crash upon opening some Cubase sessions (really bad as in: my computer instantly shuts off). But this is not common.

My other problem is that I can load the TC fx as VST inserts, but when bouncing down the tracks that the inserts are on to audio, the files come out empty. Also, if I put another VST insert after the TC FX, I'll crash out. So this makes the FX effectivly useless to me. I havn't had a chance to try this in a another DAW, so I'd be curious if they are working allright in others and its just a Cubase issue.

• Members

OK I wanted to test it on my machine. I got the Konnekt 8 since my dealer told me he wouldn´t even try to get the 24d working on a mac because of the known problems concerning the DSP integration. I´m on a Mac Pro.

I think everybody knows about the nice sounding pres but I have to tell you again: I didn´t expect that sound quality for this price. And I love the metal case.

BUT: Who cares about that single phantom power switch for both channels while switching the phantom power makes a crack noise that overloads the converter? Eh - you have to power the unit down to switch the pad and 48V buttons if you don´t want to demage the ADs!

By the way: This is the first unit ever used on any computer I ever worked on that refuses the OS from booting when powerd on before the system starts. I managed to do crackle free recordings with this unit and they sound good.

But it is a shame that I get dropouts when I change from the sequencer program to the Konnekts´mixer surface - this is the case with any multitasking when changing the surfaces of the programs. And why does it take almost the same time to load the konnekt mixer like the entire OS needs for booting?

T.C. - did you ever think about the fact that a mass product at such a cheap price point - like this unit - can seriously affect the reputation of your company? Many customers = many people that tell others what they think about the product.

I´d be fine to pay a higher price for this unit if it didn´t destroy its own AD converters if the buttons are switched while it runs. Even the buyers of the cheapest M-Audio Interface don´t like their units to loose the connection to their computer from time to time. I won´t ask for extra plug ins. But I ask for competitive drivers.

TC, you make my decision very hard. This thing has a good recording quality and it´s extremely inexpensive. But rock-solid drivers from day one are a must for a well-respected company. There are some days left to return the unit to the store. And drivers that are even worse related to the Apple soundcard drivers are an argument to get rid of it - even if I would prefer to keep the hardware.

• Members
Iworked extensively with the Konnekt 24D over the past several weeks and it’s passed every test I could throw at it. Thumbs way up."

Of course, what's interesting is that everything I said there is still true. It does sound great, and at the time of writing the review, it had indeed passed every test I had thrown at it. The FX were great, and again at that time, they were never claimed to work as VST plug-ins so I never expected them to.

Remember that one of the reasons I started the Pro Review concept was to get around some of the limitations inherent in print reviews. The problems with the K24D only surfaced after weeks of testing with particular combinations of gear, and it's important to note that 1.03 came out literally just a few days before the magazine went to press -- there wasn't time to test it on a variety of gear, and it fixed problems I'd had with the original drivers (and the first draft of the review was quite negative because of those problems).

Remember, if all you did was use the K24D with Cubase on a Windows machine the way it was supposed to work originally with effects on the inputs, or Digital Performer on a Mac Dual G5, you'd think it was fine and wonder what the heck this thread is all about :)

• Members

Remember, if all you did was use the K24D with Cubase on a Windows machine the way it was supposed to work originally with effects on the inputs, or Digital Performer on a Mac Dual G5, you'd think it was fine and wonder what the heck this thread is all about
:)

Unless, of course, your trim pots are flakey and you can't get TCE support in Westlake Village to pick up the phone.

• Members

Of course, what's interesting is that everything I said there is still true. It does sound great, and
at the time of writing the review,
it had indeed passed every test I had thrown at it. The FX were great, and again at that time, they were never claimed to work as VST plug-ins so I never expected them to.

Remember that one of the reasons I started the Pro Review concept was to get around some of the limitations inherent in print reviews. The problems with the K24D only surfaced after weeks of testing with particular combinations of gear, and it's important to note that 1.03 came out literally just a few days before the magazine went to press -- there wasn't time to test it on a variety of gear, and it fixed problems I'd had with the original drivers (and the first draft of the review was quite negative because of those problems).

Remember, if all you did was use the K24D with Cubase on a Windows machine the way it was supposed to work originally with effects on the inputs, or Digital Performer on a Mac Dual G5, you'd think it was fine and wonder what the heck this thread is all about

thanx - i was wondering about it... didn't know how to bring it up... i didn't want to seem like i was attacking you... just wanted to get your perspective as a reviewer and writer of articles on gear...

we - as the end users are relying on these magazine reviews to make our purchases - if i had only read your review (which i did) it would not have exposed these problems that all are having since 2006... i know that's why you are doing this web forum - a more in depth pro review process- and i appreciate it - really

is there pressure to write a positive review?

do advertsing dollars ever play a role? does it? or not at all?

out of all the reviewers (i didn't read each review completely) NO ONE found driver issues? Is that a problem of the gear review process in magazines?

should the review process be changed?

not trying to stir the hornets nest here - just thinking out loud ;)

seems like the reader gets short-changed by the magazine reviews...

Craig, what do see from your perspective? It just seems like no one can trust the reviews anymore and you have to go out and find a firend that has the piece of gear or talk to people on boards trying to find out the 'real' answer. (just take a stab at an answer or feel free to ignore it completely :) )

thanx

-michael

• Members

hello to all,

this is the reply i got from TC support yesterday:

"As far as I remember, you have Toshiba Satellite Pro M30 laptop. We do not support Toshiba, in fact, this is the only brand of laptops we advice not to use with Konnekt..."

Splendid, isn't it? Toshiba is one of the leading laptop manufacturers on the market today, and besides laptops they participate in developing various technological standards. So:

"The driver will be available in a few days and it contains many fixes, but I cannot confirm that it will work with your laptop"

isn't it something to be sad about?

any other Toshiba laptop users here? how many? anyone having drop-out problems?

frustrated,
-andrejs

• Members

Hi everybody

Just wanted to add my setup to the list of successes. I bought a Konnekt 24D a few weeks ago, and I've used it with two laptops, both running Windows XP. The first one was a Toshiba M30, which, as the guy above says, is not officially supported (of course, I didn't know that before I bought the Konnekt...)

I actually discovered that as long as the TC Near application is open and at the front, I wasn't getting any dropouts. So that's some kind of work around -- set the window to be "always at the front", and then drag it so it's almost off the edge of the screen. Worked for me anyway...

Two weeks ago, I bought a new laptop, a Lenovo ThinkPad Z61m. Everything works pretty much fine. Admittedly, I get occasional weirdness, especially with the plug-ins working in VST mode, and I'm sure as hell hoping the new drivers are going to tighten things up a bit. But most of the time, I have to agree with what the reviews said: this is actually an awesome bit of kit.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm gloating, and I hope that the new drivers sort out most people's problems.

Adamvert

• Members
is there pressure to write a positive review?

do advertsing dollars ever play a role? does it? or not at all?

out of all the reviewers (i didn't read each review completely) NO ONE found driver issues? Is that a problem of the gear review process in magazines?

should the review process be changed?

not trying to stir the hornets nest here - just thinking out loud
;)

seems like the reader gets short-changed by the magazine reviews...

Craig, what do see from your perspective? It just seems like no one can trust the reviews anymore and you have to go out and find a firend that has the piece of gear or talk to people on boards trying to find out the 'real' answer. (just take a stab at an answer or feel free to ignore it completely
)

thanx

-michael

I don't want to hijack the thread, but this is a topic worthy of discussion. A great place to do so would be in my Sound, Studio, and Stage forum on this site.

But to give you some quick answers...

"is there pressure to write a positive review?"

It depends on the magazine. Some magazines are influenced by ads and money, which makes it more difficult for the ones that aren't to be taken seriously. Personally, I don't feel there is pressure to write a positive review, but I much prefer to write a review about something I like...it makes the process of reviewing more fun.

"out of all the reviewers (i didn't read each review completely) NO ONE found driver issues? Is that a problem of the gear review process in magazines?"

Software created a whole new world. A review used to be easy: You got, say, a mic preamp, and it had 12 controls, and once you covered what those did and made some measurements about noise and distortion, you were done. With software, there is so much more to cover, but the pressure to be "first" with a review hasn't gone away. As a result, a reviewer has to decide "okay, do I cover the Fabrik effects, the ADAT input, word clock, etc. or do I just test the thing with as many platforms as possible?" What will usually happen (as in my case) is you pick a platform, you install the product, and then you figure out the features. If it works on your first attempt, frankly, it's unlikely you're going to go installing it in lots of other computers. Furthermore, I just plain can't afford a MacIntel right now, and Apple won't loan me one, so it's going to be a while before I can test that platform. I know that sucks (hey, it's my job, right?) but if I had to buy a dozen different computers to test out programs...well, I just can't. I feel fortunate that I have three Windows machines and a Mac.

"should the review process be changed?"

Welcome to the Pro Review! There are still things that lend themselves well to print reviews, but I feel this is the way to go for "deep" products. No magazine in the world would have had the space that, for example, my Sonar 6 review here on HC required.

"It just seems like no one can trust the reviews anymore and you have to go out and find a firend that has the piece of gear or talk to people on boards trying to find out the 'real' answer."

Well, I really do stand behind what I write. But I can't guarantee that I'm perfect, or that the process is perfect. In my reviews, I try to act as a "filter" to let people know whether they want to take the time to visit forums, ask friends, go to dealers and try things out, etc. I don't say so much "I like this" or "I don't like this," but I try to describe what the thing does as accurately as possible so people can make up their own minds about whether a product will work for them or not.

Finally, this is why in EQ magazine we have changed very much how we do reviews these days. We are making them more applications-oriented -- in other words, telling how a piece of gear is actually used, to try and give the experience of someone sitting over your shoulder as you make the gear do its thing.

Oh, one more thing: Many, many times in reviews I find problems that would lead to a very negative review, but I tell the manufacturer and they often fix the problem before the review has to be turned in. Sonivox Muse was like that. It had some compatibility problems with different processors and the review basically said I couldn't recommend it. But then they fixed the problems, and the tone of the review changed dramatically.

• Members

"BUT: Who cares about that single phantom power switch for both channels while switching the phantom power makes a crack noise that overloads the converter? Eh - you have to power the unit down to switch the pad and 48V buttons if you don´t want to demage the ADs!"

Is this true? Can you really damage the AD converters?

• Members

"BUT: Who cares about that single phantom power switch for both channels while switching the phantom power makes a crack noise that overloads the converter? Eh - you have to power the unit down to switch the pad and 48V buttons if you don´t want to demage the ADs!"

Is this true? Can you really damage the AD converters?

My system crashes when I turn on the phatom power with the unit on....

I would like to hear about that too.

Cheers.

• Members

Hello Everybody

Thanks for a really great pro review. This thread has until now provided me with very valuable information.
Yes, I am one of those satisfied users, at least in the last two month. In the first three days owning my Konnekt8 I did have a lot of the same kind of problems as many of you are writing about in here (Dropouts etc.). It was simply impossible to work with my new toy. I then did try to follow some of the guidelines from this forum but without success.

In frustration and just before making a fresh install of Windows XP I took out my old Hoontech soundcard and disabled the internal soundcard. YES, success. I didn’t even have to make a new WindowXP installation. After this day my Konnekt8 have worked without any problems whatsoever. I do rarely have small dropouts when using Windows Media player, strange but no big problem for me.

I hope my experience can help some of you.

@Noise Maker

My configuration:

Konnekt8
Software 1,03

Nuendo 3

Windows XP
MSI MS 7042
Pentium 4 - 3000 MHZ
1024 Mo DDR SDRAM

“The longer and longer we wait for news and relief from TC, the more I agree with you. I am wondering if the fact that TC is in Europe has anything to do with the slowness of things. I mean, are there many Sonar users in Europe? It's been suggested to me that most European audio folks use Steinberg stuff. Anyone around here a Dane that could chime in?[/size]”

@jpleong
I’m a Dane living in France and I don’t know anybody using Sonar so I think you’ve got a point here. The people that I am/was working with are using “Steinberg stuff”, Logic, Pro tools…

• Members

"The driver will be available in a few days and it contains many fixes, but I cannot confirm that it will work with your laptop"

isn't it something to be sad about?

any other Toshiba laptop users here? how many? anyone having drop-out problems?

I bought the K24D in Nov. I bought a new state of the art Toshiba notebook in Feb. Then I discover the problems between the K24D and Toshiba. Too late to return the K24D. I am batting Zero when it comes to TCE. I had to give up my wireless keyboard and mouse to use it with my desktop. And I have the one brand of notebook they do not support. Believe me, I shopped around before I selected Toshiba, and spoke with a lot of MIS people about their experience before I lept. They are highly regarded. But I did not speak with TCE. I used to think TCE were Giants that lived on Mt Olympus--before I bought the K24D. Now I think they are Demons that live in Hades.

• Members
I bought the K24D in Nov. I bought a new state of the art Toshiba notebook in Feb. Then I discover the problems between the K24D and Toshiba. Too late to return the K24D. I am batting Zero when it comes to TCE. I had to give up my wireless keyboard and mouse to use it with my desktop. And I have the one brand of notebook they do not support. Believe me, I shopped around before I selected Toshiba, and spoke with a lot of MIS people about their experience before I lept. They are highly regarded. But I did not speak with TCE. I used to think TCE were Giants that lived on Mt Olympus--before I bought the K24D. Now I think they are Demons that live in Hades.

If your laptop was state of the art, how can you expect TC to test against it? Just a thought... :)

Also, I would be weary of your MIS people in the future for suggesting Toshiba notebooks.... we NEVER recommend them to anyone, especially since one of my staff used to work for Toshiba's notebook repair....

Sorry, don't mean to turn this into a Toshiba bashing thread.

• Members

Please add my configuration to the list that does not work:

K24D purchased one month ago or so.

Dell 9150 (Purchased in September 06)
Pentium D (dual core) 3.0 GHz
2 Gig ram
Dell firewire (not sure of the chipset)
250 Gig SATA
250 Gig External USB harddrive (IOMEGA)
MS Wireless KBD/Mouse (Also tried with the wired KBD/Mouse that came with the system)
Win XP Pro SP 2 with the two 1394 hotfixes and the dual core hotfix. All Windows updates installed. System also tweaked for DAW performance according to a number of tip lists found on the web.

Out Of Box Experience (OBE)

Installation

Installation seemed to go well until I actually plugged the unit in and was told that Windows could not find the software for my hardware.

The TC website has little or nothing on installation problems under XP. Very surprising to me. None of the printed material that came with the unit had any tips. In fact there is a step missing in the XP installation notes where it describes what happens when you actually plug the unit in. It just assumes that the result will be positive.

Finally got it installed by using the New Hardware Wizard (manually).
On next reboot the device wasn't recognized. Powered device down, rebooted. Powered device up. No luck. Can't recall what I did to finally get it to be recognized.

Total installation time: 2.5 hours

Rating: Frustrating / Amateur / Disappointing

Operation

Setup Windows system and Cubase 4 to use this device as the default sound device for recording and playback.

Opened an MP3 file in Windows media player and noticed dropouts galore. Same for playback in CB4. Unusable. Thinking that there must be some obvious configuration issue I returned to the TC website to find nothing.

Found this thread (about a day after purchase) and spent an inordinate amount of time reading and applying some of the tweaks suggested. In many cases, after applying a tweak and then rebooting, the unit would work as advertised... for about 15 minutes and then would become unusable because of the dropouts.

Rating: Unusable / Amateur / Disappointing

Positive Comments

When the unit worked, the playback sound quality was noticeably better than my older unit.

Notified my dealer within a week of purchase that I was considering returning the unit but would like to wait for the next set of drivers before making a final decision. As these drivers were unlikely to be available before the deadline for return, the dealer agreed to extend my deadline by a month.

Negative Comments

Never bothered to call TC support based on what I had read in this thread. I did not have time to disassemble my system and provide them with every possible part and revision number (exaggeration) . Was not prepared to disable LAN/DVD/CD drives.

TC support KB contained no information about XP installation and operation. Could not find any info on possible FW chipset incompatibilities. Could not find a troubleshooting section.

Spent about 10 hours in all on the configuration.

The unit is back in the box for now. Older device is back in operation. I'll give it one more shot when the new drivers are released.

Thanks to Harmony-Central and Craig et al. for this thread.

• Members
If your laptop was state of the art, how can you expect TC to test against it? Just a thought...

Also, I would be weary of your MIS people in the future for suggesting Toshiba notebooks.... we NEVER recommend them to anyone, especially since one of my staff used to work for Toshiba's notebook repair....

Sorry, don't mean to turn this into a Toshiba bashing thread.

i have to protect my fellow friend now. i have to say that except for problems with K24D my toshiba satellite pro m30 laptop proved to be very reliable over the years .. i have been also using m-audio 410 with it with no problems since 2004! no drop-outs, no blue-screens, no troubles whatsoever!

please look at this problem from another perspective.

-andrejs

• Members
Please add my configuration to the list that does
not
work:

K24D purchased one month ago or so.

Dell 9150 (Purchased in September 06)

Pentium D (dual core) 3.0 GHz

2 Gig ram

Dell firewire (not sure of the chipset)

250 Gig SATA

250 Gig External USB harddrive (IOMEGA)

MS Wireless KBD/Mouse (Also tried with the wired KBD/Mouse that came with the system)

Win XP Pro SP 2 with the two 1394 hotfixes and the dual core hotfix. All Windows updates installed. System also tweaked for DAW performance according to a number of tip lists found on the web.

Out Of Box Experience (OBE)

Installation

Installation seemed to go well until I actually plugged the unit in and was told that Windows could not find the software for my hardware.

The TC website has little or nothing on installation problems under XP. Very surprising to me. None of the printed material that came with the unit had any tips. In fact there is a step missing in the XP installation notes where it describes what happens when you actually plug the unit in. It just assumes that the result will be positive.

Finally got it installed by using the New Hardware Wizard (manually).

On next reboot the device wasn't recognized. Powered device down, rebooted. Powered device up. No luck. Can't recall what I did to finally get it to be recognized.

Total installation time: 2.5 hours

Rating: Frustrating / Amateur / Disappointing

Operation

Setup Windows system and Cubase 4 to use this device as the default sound device for recording and playback.

Opened an MP3 file in Windows media player and noticed dropouts galore. Same for playback in CB4. Unusable. Thinking that there must be some obvious configuration issue I returned to the TC website to find nothing.

Found this thread (about a day after purchase) and spent an inordinate amount of time reading and applying some of the tweaks suggested. In many cases, after applying a tweak and then rebooting, the unit would work as advertised... for about 15 minutes and then would become unusable because of the dropouts.

Rating: Unusable / Amateur / Disappointing

Positive Comments

When the unit worked, the playback sound quality was noticeably better than my older unit.

Notified my dealer within a week of purchase that I was considering returning the unit but would like to wait for the next set of drivers before making a final decision. As these drivers were unlikely to be available before the deadline for return, the dealer agreed to extend my deadline by a month.

Negative Comments

Never bothered to call TC support based on what I had read in this thread. I did not have time to disassemble my system and provide them with every possible part and revision number (exaggeration) . Was not prepared to disable LAN/DVD/CD drives.

TC support KB contained no information about XP installation and operation. Could not find any info on possible FW chipset incompatibilities. Could not find a troubleshooting section.

Spent about 10 hours in all on the configuration.

The unit is back in the box for now. Older device is back in operation. I'll give it one more shot when the new drivers are released.

Thanks to Harmony-Central and Craig et al. for this thread.

Thank you very much for sharing your appreciations, comments - and configuration - ou81aswell :thu: .

Thank you also to Nick323, Ricksen (coucou/hi Montpellier :) !) and everybody for sharing their experiences and creating this "working v/s not-working setups" data base !

I sincerely wish you - and to everyone here of course - that the new driver will turn your setup into a working one !

Best Regards :wave:

N.M.

• Members

hello to all,

"As far as I remember, you have Toshiba Satellite Pro M30 laptop. We do not support Toshiba, in fact, this is the only brand of laptops we advice not to use with Konnekt..."

You can't blame TC for that, the warning is present at the TC site since a long time.

On another hand, I don't know why especially Toshiba laptops, because on my laptop HP DV8000t (Intel dual core 1.83 Mhz) (with drivers 1.03 and 1.10)I had a dropout each time the fan cooler went on and a dropout when it went off.

The "funny" thing is that this didn't happen with the driver that came on the CD (1.01.89) .

More details in this post.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21227964#post21227964

But there is a workaround (It works for me)

I've changed the nature of my Laptop from "ACPI Multiprocessor" to "MPS Multiprocessor" whitch disabled all ACPI functions of Windows XP.

Icluding the shutdown (Like the old windows 95, I have to shut down the laptop with the power button.)

B.T.W. I think that this is not a workaround that a support team can recommend.

I also lost the use of the card reader but for me it's not a problem because I have a multi boot system.(Meaning 3 primary partitions but only one available at a time an 2 hidden).

This means also 3 Windows XP:

1 for internet with antivirus office work ...

1 for music, recording, processing ....

1 super clean for the gigs

But hey, I've just made a small project of 16 audio tracks with KD4& Cubase LE

with EQs and with the FabrikR as a VST plug in (I did have once or twice distortion on the return of the reverb but I went to the Cubase audio settings , hit RESET and it was gone.) It got me through the final Mix without any problem.

Hope this helps somehow.

• Members

Jazzy20, that sounds great! I wonder, just because I'm neurotic, what causes the problem via fan that you've had that doesn't affect my computer's performance? And my card reader has no problems either... Weird, eh?

Hurmph.

JP

• Members

I'm near-sold on the Konnekt 8 interface, there are just a FEW clarifications that if I get worked out we're good to go.

• One other thing I think it would be important to add would be my computer's specs. Its a new gateway running on Windows Vista. 2.8 GHz

Archived