TC ELECTRONIC KONNEKT 24D (FireWire Audio Interface)

Anderton

• Members

Works fine (without any power supply) on:

Gigabyte-965P-DS3 , Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13Ghz , Corsair 1Gb DDR2 800Mhz , Gigabyte nVidia 7600GT , WD 2500KS 250Gb , VIA 3 port firewire PCI card , Windows XP Pro SP2 & Mac OS x86 10.4.8, Nuendo 3.2.0.1128 and so on..

Have a nice weekend :)

Very best Regards from all of us
;)
!

N.M.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want to find a system working fine with K24 and Sonar (Science Fiction, may be?)

Sorry tunai : I can't help you at all with Sonar. Not more - as you certainly read - with the Konnekt. You know much more than I do here.

In fact, as mentioned/questioned in a previous page - forgive me I don't recall by whom - : I think I won't answer stupidly saying that in Europe, Sonar is not the most used DAW.

Best regards from France :wave:

N.M.

• Members

I want to find a system working fine with K24 and Sonar (Science Fiction, may be?)

And I want to find a post of yours in which your input is meaningful.

You have passed your message...you are frustrated...it's understood...

I am pretty sure you can be more constructive in this forum and share very interesting things from your experience with music and all relevant equipment.

I hope the new drivers will be out soon, put and end to this torture of yours (and the rest) and feel and hear a great audio machine that others and I enjoy a while now:)

• Members

My Konnekt 24D has developed faulty trim pots on both front channels. With a guitar plugged in and the gain set at 3 o'clock, the level will spontaneously drop maybe 12 - 18 dB. If I record while the level is low I get a lot of noise, some hum, and intermitten clicks. Pushing sideways on a trim pot will cause signal strength to return to normal for a while. The hum level is relative to the position of the trim pot.

I remember reading several other posts citing a similar problem, so I'm guessing a bad production run with a faulty solder joint on a common ground.

Is quality control lacking or are these defects only showing up after shipping, burn in, and a bit of use?

I'd feel better if TC would comment. Along with TC's slow driver development (which bodes ill for future timely updates), unacknowledged manufacturing problems leaves me with too much uncertainty. Is my probability of getting a second defective unit the same or much lower due to process corrections?

• Members

And I want to find a post of yours in which your input is meaningful.

You have passed your message...you are frustrated...it's understood...

I am pretty sure you can be more constructive in this forum and share very interesting things from your experience with music and all relevant equipment.

I hope the new drivers will be out soon, put and end to this torture of yours (and the rest) and feel and hear a great audio machine that others and I enjoy a while now:)

This is a forum about Konnekt interfaces and Konnekt interfaces don´t work properly.

Do you have doubts on this matter?

I am sure that many users will agree with me

If you want to talk about music or another aspects of multimedia technology, I will meet you in other forum (Say to me where, if you want)

Here and now, I claim my right of talking about a defective product (By now) and about a company that isn´t ethically trustwothy.

No reasonable person can discuss this fact.

I´m sorry if my posts are a torture for you.

I liberate you from reading them.

By the way, you sound like a TC employee...

Forgive my bad English, best wishes from BA

• Members

I would indeed be interested, and by the way, your English is fine.

thanx,here is my konnekt8 vs ff800 vs emu1820m

(these products aren't in a "head to head" comparison,thats for sure. there are many reasons for this, to name a few:

-difference of the amount of analog-digital in/outs ,

-emu is a pci card

-emu is windows only

-price difference

etc

so i can't say that the one audio interface is better than the other in general, i can only focus on specific areas)

-DESIGN,QUALITY

konnekt wins hands down. it's not only the fact that it's an ideal companion to a mac ,also it's solidly built,it has a quality metal case,has big precise knobs,sleek front panel and i could go on and go on.it has an analogue volume controller too!very handy!

-MIC PRES

again,konnekt wins ,the ff800 has somewhat "darker" sound and lacks the highs and the air presence of the konnekt. i could say that with the konnekt you have no need to buy an external preamp in the sub 300euro area. the emu had an ok sound,nothing intriguing.

(subcategory)

-GAIN

i could record about the same hot signal (before it clipped) ,on both the ff800 and the konnekt. TIE. the emu was behind...

-ANALOG INS

i couldn't notice the difference between ff800 and the emu1820m when i connected my waldorf microwave xtk or my novation supernova synth. the konnekt had a slightly different sound,not at all noisy,just different.as i had both the ff800 and the 1820m for more time ,i could say that i wasn't used to the sound of the konnekt.

-ANALOG OUTS

tested only with my home studio adam a7 monitors,i can say that the rme was louder than the konnekt. i have my monitors volume dials set on 10' o clock always.so when i was hearing a sacd on itunes (depeche mode violator remastered btw)on the konnekt i had the volume control fully clockwise turned , the rme's totalmix utility had it's analog out set at 0db. the rme was for sure,louder and i think it had more low end punch,more precise bass frequencies but it can be psychological... in the past i had a similar a/b test with the ff800 vs 1820m and i found it to be pretty identical.

-HEADPHONE AMP

the konnekt has two headphone out when the other have only one. but it's not the quantity it matters but the quality. and the quality is by far with the rme and the emu. konnekt's "state of the art" headphone amp ,as it is avertised, is a typical headphone amp (at least to my ears) thats totally outclassed by both ff800 & 1820m. you can hear the noise (when it's above average turned on),it's not loud,it made my senh hd80 and sony mdr headphones to sound like normal-consumer headphones. also,where is the (tight) bass???

-UTILITY

the tcnear is the most simple (as it has to deal with a soundcard with 2 in/outs),the patchmix the most complex (for a newbie). total mix is a total power tool and total joy to use.the tcnear utility has some flaws,as i find it very small as a gui and (most important) it uses so much cpu.it's cool that it can see when you have an xlr/ts or nothing on front though...

my preference is for emu's patchmix but it's a comparison that it's not important,as these utilities act as a control panel for you,to manage your ins/outs and they have very different numbers.

-DRIVERS

aha!

the emu as i remember it was a disaster with my old amd computer. i upgraded to an amd64 and time by time was getting better and with the 1.80 driver (i think one year after the initial release )and forward it became totally stable to my system.this with the samplitude classic and the cubase 2 sx.the initial flaws had to do with not recognising the correct sample rate,you lost your sound and you had to exit and reopen patchmix,you had to use a pci latency tool to avoid glitches,not to have windows installed on a sata disk,you couldn't use properly the fxs of the patchmix to your sequencer etc...

for the ff800,i can't write sth ,i never had any problems

for the konnekt i won't write sth as i already have (see my previous post)

so,clearly, the ff800 had the most trouble-free operation for me for both mac-pc platforms (despite my nforce4 motherboard).but it turned out that after the emu released the 1.80 driver i had better performance (lower latency-lower cpu load) with the 1820m. offcourse it could be a firewire vs pci protocol thing...

-SUPPORT

great support from the emu guys (hands up for ICHI),and there was a great unofficial forum where you could get your questions answered in a minute,contact the managers for "the work in progress",download skins for the patchmix, request things for future releases etc.i somewhat felt safe that all the issues would be solved.

regarding the rme guys,i haven't contacted them never,cause i needn't to. if i can say sth bad,it's that they haven't yet a forum and they prefer a total-retro "newletter" list which i think it's not very practical...

tc:not the best. i think they try to, but the key for me is to stop be so cryptic and confess that they have a some problems right now. it's no secret that tc isn't the biggest company and maybe some of the programmers worked extensively for the ub or vista compatible powercore plug ins. i would like an official statement on tc's web page , apologising for all the frustration we,the the tc users have,telling the work on progress and state the caution that the users of cakewalk's sonar should have.a public beta would be ok too.

BTW

here is a "home made" cpu chart i made some weeks ago.

it's a logic project,running on my macbook pro.at the same time i had the activity monitor turned on,showing the cpu usage on both cores.

the first two horizontal bars,show the cpu usage with the rme ff800,the 3&4 show the cpu usage with the konnekt.

i made these tests 4-5 times as i wanted to be as less objective as i could.

notice the huge cpu spikes on the konnekt's bars. these were random,i always had it but at different points of the song.these were the points where i had dropouts. but,if you look the charts again,more carefully, you will see that the average cpu load with the konnekt was less than the ff800.

the above was true with every project i tried on my macbook pro.

konnektff800.jpg

ff800.vs.konnekt-cpuload.jpg

• Members

Hi. I've been tracking this ongoing Konnekt forum for a week, since I bought a Konnekt24D. It sounded lovely, but kept disappearing after a while. I was considering waiting for driver updates as the machine spec was right for my needs. However, the very next time I booted up it failed to appear although was powered by the FW buss. Couldn't do anything. I then plugged in my Lacie drive instead and that too wouldn't appear, though powered successfully by the buss. So I've swapped for an Ultralite and seem to have lost my FW capability. Ultralite and Lacie work fine on my same spec work machine.

Can anyone advise? I've reinstalled the OS (10.4.9), checked all firmware is ok etc.

As the buss power works fine, does that suggest a s/w problem rather than a fried FW port?

Thanks

Mike

• Members

I must admit I became somewhat hopeful (again) when I read Craig's report on the new beta driver, but now that another week has flown by, and there's still no new driver available for download, I find all my old (well, not that old...) fears bubbling up to the surface of that depressingly half-empty cup.

Remember, I'm on that ancient Mac 0S (Panther), and we were already told the new Mac driver would not be ready for perhaps a few weeks (or more...) after the Win betas were released. So I can easily see the Panther OS driver (following the delayed release of the Tiger beta driver which will follow by some weeks or months the delayed release of the Win beta driver) not being available before June... or August... or December...

That Sennheiser story helped put things in perspective -- can TC honestly claim that they have done all they can possibly do--as rapidly and as diligently as possible--to make the Konnekt function according to expectation for all those whose systems meet the stated Minimum Requirements, and who purchased the unit in good faith that they were investing in a product that would be up and running for the undertaking of miscellaneous creative or productive tasks immediately upon connecting the firewire cable and installing the driver?

Would it be too much to ask Mike--since he seems to be the sole living entity connected with TC able and/or willing to communicate with us in a language other than basic Supportese--to provide us with, say, weekly updates on the status of the driver(s)? Some consistently-updated infoscraps to show that TC is aware of the severity and urgency of the problem, and is willing to remain engaged with and responsive to its (loyal?) customer base?

• Members

Hi. I've been tracking this ongoing Konnekt forum for a week, since I bought a Konnekt24D. It sounded lovely, but kept disappearing after a while. ....

As the buss power works fine, does that suggest a s/w problem rather than a fried FW port?

Thanks

Mike

This sounds similar to my own problems (still haven't been able to find another computer with 6 pin firewire to check against!). May I ask how long 'after a while' was and was it always the same length of time?

Ken

• Members

Ok but I found a solution to my problems not from Tech support but from searching. People are lazy wanting everything done for them and moaning about when its not done for them.

I found a solution to my problems not from tech support but from adopting budism. But that´s because i´m lazy.

• Members

Have a look:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may07/articles/konnekt24d.htm

"My only other comment would be that the drivers seem very solid", says John Walden.

No mention of Sonar problems.

"TC confirmed that drivers for Windows Vista are in the early stages of testing. At the time of writing, no release date has been confirmed."

Reading this, I kind of started feeling like a true connoisseur of heavy irony. But this might give some you some degree of consolation:

"My initial attempts to get the Konnekt 24D working with my main test PC were somewhat frustrating and I couldn't get the TC Near Control Panel to recognise that the unit was present. I tried the unit on a further desktop computer and a laptop (each with different Firewire interfaces) and experienced similar difficulties — either no connection or stuttering audio. Thinking I had simply been sent a faulty unit, TC Electronic kindly sent me a second 24D but I had exactly the same problems with this. I finally overcame the issue by installing a new Firewire interface (a Belkin PCI card) into my main test system, at which point both 24Ds worked first time of asking. Coincidentally, at the end of this process I happened to take delivery of a new PC laptop and the 24D also worked flawlessly with that. TC Electronic's Thomas Valter confirmed that there are a small number of Firewire chip sets that can be problematic with the 24D and that these are the same as for the Powercore system. Potential purchasers might want to test the 24D with their own hardware prior to purchase but, with PCI Firewire cards being relatively inexpensive, the issue can be easily solved. And, as detailed towards the end of the main text, given the subsequent performance of the interface, I found that overcoming these initial teething problems was well worth the effort."

Craig, do you happen to know how likely (and exactly in what way understandable) it is that SOS staff are unaware of this thread?

• Members

Have a look:

"My only other comment would be that the drivers seem very solid", says John Walden.

lol!

regarding the problem i had with the output (right channel is way louder than my left) i found out that's somewhat an issue with the analogue volume controller pot. if i puss it and turn it left-right somehow the problem disappears.

• Members

lol!

regarding the problem i had with the output (right channel is way louder than my left) i found out that's somewhat an issue with the analogue volume controller pot. if i puss it and turn it left-right somehow the problem disappears.

Tends to add to the stir.... we have units that exhibit hardware problems, too. Cheap components? Makes me leery.

With luck, enough people will post their working setups and some patterns can be discerned. I'd be curious if there are significant differences showing up between the Konnekt 8 and the 24D as far as quality of the components within... add that to the mix we've seen in software control, stability, and TC's responsiveness, and it's a pretty clear picture.

More questions than answers, it appears.

Situation normal.

I find it interesting that not a single TC person has contacted any of us regarding this thread, at least not that anyone's noted. Even Mike has only responded to every second or third PM I've sent him. This is not to smear him, but only to point out that on the whole TC's response has been - and continues to be - spotty at best. They may be "very aware of this thread," but if the surgeon knows the patient's brain is hemorrhaging, and still does nothing to stop it, what good is that awareness?

Good thing they're not in the Emergency Response business.

• Members

Adding to the database of users having problems with K24d, my system is:

Pentium M 1,8 GHZ

512 MB Ram

80 Gb 5000 (near) rpm HD, defraded every month

Windows XP SP 2 up to date and with the Hotfixes installed

(not a power beast, but previously working OK with a M-Audio audiphille)

Tryed the K24d with Cubase LE , Ableton Live 6, Reason, Acoustica and Sound Forge.

Problems such as everyone: clicks on playback and recording, intermitent audio output, the interface looses connection with the PC and / or software for no apparent reason, huge CPU load when compared to previous ASIO soundcards, the Fabrik effects are highly unstable and sometimes don´t render any audio.

Same story as everyone : problems with K24d, Tc support labyrinth mayhem, trimed down computer, still the same problems, new driver, same problems, wait 4 months, still no drivers, still same problems, lost a client within this mess.

Solution: i am on a sabatical license from electronic music making. I was becoming an angry, frustrated computer geek instead of a learning musician. Now i practice the piano and experience the outside world:eek: . So, bottom line, i think my girlfriend wishes to thank TC for having me back. And all of this for just about 500 quid... maybe i´ll charge her half the price;)

• Members

I find it interesting that not a single TC person has contacted any of us regarding this thread, at least not that anyone's noted. Even Mike has only responded to every second or third PM I've sent him. This is not to smear him, but only to point out that
on the whole TC's response has been - and continues to be - spotty at best.
They may be "very aware of this thread," but if the surgeon knows the patient's brain is hemorrhaging, and still does nothing to stop it, what good is that awareness?

Good thing they're not in the Emergency Response business.

I find this peculiar, as well. Considering the nature of the problems, both physical and logical, and the amount of time that has lapsed, and the fact that they are trying to build out a new line of products--their public silence on these issues is deafening. There is such a thing in Psychiatry as 'trauma of ommission'. That' what happened when you are a little kid who is hurting or hungry and your Mom ignores you. Sure, you learn to rely on yourself, but then you just can't help obsessing over the latest issue of Guns & Ammo.

How can anybody take TCE seriously anymore when they refuse to step up to the plate and demonstrate their commitment to accountability to their customers? Are they having a corporate identity crisis? This may end up being the Killer product of all time before the last act is written--but I feel so badly burned in the trust department that I wish every day I had gone with RME AT ANY PRICE!

Yes, some things, like peace of mind, and trust, are priceless.

• Members

I can´t understand the reason why TCE guys doesn´t launch for us, the beta driver that Craig is testing.

With actual driver, K24 doesn´t work at all for Sonar Users.

The beta driver, would allow us, even with his flaws, to use the interface and to collaborate in the driver tests

I wrote 2 times to TC support and there was none

response.

the attitude of TCE is for me absolutely incomprehensibly

I have never suffered so many indifference and maltreatment on the part of a company.

Forgive my bad English

• Members

Please tunai - and everyone using or trying to use a Konnekt among you - :

Sorry for asking such a question as I know about all the problems you encountered/encounter with this piece of equipment, but I'd like to know about this :

=> used as a stand-alone unit (that is: not connected to a computer), do you get strange - to crazy - symptoms also or does the Konnekt do the proclaimed job(s) satisfactorily ?

Exactly, I mean this assertion :

"You get (...) serious stand-alone functionality and superior effects processing that you can use anywhere and without a computer."

( =>
http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=7623#intelligent
)

Thank you in advance for any details :thu: !

Best regards :wave:

N.M.

• Members

I keep on going on THIS PAGE day after day after day....when will TCe give us the driver we need to work correctly ???? It begins to be long...

I need AU complete integration to continue to TEST this gear I bought months ago...that's crazy, isn't it !!

Is a "more normal" interface envisaged ? This MetaIntuitive thing is not really easy to use for me... Enough to climb an egyptian pyramide to set up a reverb !!!!

My (second) dream (after the good driver) is an interface who looks like the M-One one or something like that...something I know !

thank you, sorry for my english. 'hope you'll have some meta intuitive comprehension....!

bye

Archived